• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GTCS side scoop question ???

68 GTCS

I purchased a drivers side scoop from a websight that was suggested to me in the parts wanted section, but I may have to return it. The recessed screw holes are filled in (Flush) and when I held it up to the quarter panel it looked like it needs alot of modifications (trimed). The part numbers are written in the inside they read 58M3 (3 or 5) and 63290A77-B. Written with a black marker. Does anyone know if this was common for Ford to have hand fitted the scoops, and hand drill the recessed holes when being installed or should they already be hand fitted for quick installation? I am not sure if these are correct for a NOS part, could they have been a early repop from the 70's or 80's? Or are they a shelby scoop? Was there a difference between the two? It was advertized as a shelby or GTCS. If they need that much modification to fit I might be better off getting a repop for alot less money. The dealer was All Classic Mustang, N.D. I was told they are very repitable. But when it was shipped to me it came from a different vender Les Yeomans / Green Sales Company. Cincinnati, Ohio.:confused:

Thanks again for all your help.
Kevin

GTCSMustang

Can you explain what you meant by "recessed screw holes". Maybe a picture?

Scott

OP
OP

68 GTCS

It does not have a witness line, and what I mean about recessed hole is that the screws go in at a angle so when the screws go in they are set in the scoop a little ways. The color is green fiberglass, at this time I cannot send pictures but I can forward the email with the pictures I received.

Thanks,
Kevin

P

PNewitt

The "58M3" you see is not that number. It's "S8MS", which is a 1968 Shelby part number prefix.

I think if you can post a photo here on the thread (not a difficult thing to do), we can really help you out.

-Paul N.

GTCSMustang

Here are the pictures Kevin sent me of the "NOS" side scoop he purchased.

Scott

Attachments

• Quarterpanelscoop68ShelbyandGTCSlh.jpg
    Quarterpanelscoop68ShelbyandGTCSlh.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 34
  • Quarterpanelscoop68ShelbyandGTCSlha.jpg
    Quarterpanelscoop68ShelbyandGTCSlha.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Quarterpanelscoop68ShelbyandGTCSlhb.jpg
    Quarterpanelscoop68ShelbyandGTCSlhb.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Quarterpanelscoop68ShelbyandGTCSlhc.jpg
    Quarterpanelscoop68ShelbyandGTCSlhc.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Quarterpanelscoop68ShelbyandGTCSlhd.jpg
    Quarterpanelscoop68ShelbyandGTCSlhd.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Quarterpanelscoop68ShelbyandGTCSlhe.jpg
    Quarterpanelscoop68ShelbyandGTCSlhe.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 30

rvrtrash

I vote for reproduction, and not a very good one at that.

Steve

P

PNewitt

Yes, sorry to say, it's not an NOS piece. Not a very good repop, either.

Try to get a return/refund.

Thanks for posting the photos.

Paul N.

joedls

I'd like to throw out some food for thought on this subject. Wouldn't you guys worry about NOS scoops being too warped to fit. I mean 40 year-old fiberglass parts can't keep their shape very well, can they?

OP
OP

68 GTCS

I shipped it back today, so it will take awhile for a refund. He was very nice about it and said he never seen them in person but thought the pictures he sent me was enough to confirm it. But being a rookie on the quality of the scoop, it was hard for me to judge from a picture. When I received it I could tell it wasn't right just by the look of it and the poor fit. Thats why I posted the question on how these were fitted from the factory when installed new. It would have taken alot of trimming and drilling. NO front screw holes at all. I'll be out the shipping but its better than a expensive shelf item to look at. Anyway thanks for all your help with the scoop, I will keep looking for the correct one or if anyone knows of a high quality repo. let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited:

Mustanger

I shipped it back today, so it will take awhile for a refund. He was very nice about it and said he never seen them in person but thought the pictures he sent me was enough to confirm it. But being a rookie on the quality of the scoop, it was hard for me to judge from a picture. When I received it I could tell it wasn't right just by the look of it and the poor fit. Thats why I posted the question on how these were fitted from the factory when installed new. It would have taken alot of trimming and drilling. NO front screw holes at all. I'll be out the shipping but its better than a expensive shelf item to look at. Anyway thanks for all your help with the scoop, I will keep looking for the correct one or if anyone knows of a high quality repo. let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

A high quality repro can be found at Rebel Mustang ... check it out:

http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2706&highlight=witness+line

Last edited: