• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. "Buy Something at a FORD Dealer Week"

P

PNewitt

Since Ford has not asked for any of the bailout $$ from the gov't, I thought of this idea....

We should pick the last week of January (26-31) to go to our local Ford dealer to buy "something" if it's just a Mustang hat to a whole car or truck!

Maybe it would be a good time to pick up those parts for your GT/CS (new or orig,)???

This message could be spread to EVERY Ford and Mustang website and message boards across the USA!

I think this would be a good time to show Ford that "us enthusiasts" CAN make a difference for them, and it would show up in a noticeable uptick in dealer sales that week.

After all, they're really supportive of the Mustang enthusiasts--in the promotion of the 2010 Mustang....as evident of my visit to the reveal in L.A. last month!!!

It's worth a shot! let's do it!

Thanks,
Paul Newitt

J.Bart

that is a great idea!!!! i could use another hat, and they might have some new clocks too.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Thanks, Guys!

This will be awesome!

I already notified SVTOA, and my contacts at Galpin Ford, and MCA.

I should add that frankly, Ford, in the past years has dissappointed me by how I felt "patronized" by their wanting the Registry's support when they wheeled out a new Mustang..

....and I've read of some of the parts and customer service issues from people on this site...too.

BUT!! quite honestly, I was very moved by the absolute dedication that Ford has made to the Mustang enthusiasts, evident at the 2010 Reveal event I was at on Nov. 18th. The marketing people--and the top brass now get it (!!) as to how we truly love our Mustangs--new and old.

NOW is the time for us, as a group to step up to the plate and support Ford. It's a two-way street! They wont, but if Ford went down, it would affect all of us one way or another. I have great respect for Ford for not actually asking for money (maybe a loan guarantee), and I KNOW that the people there will strive to make new, 21st century vehicles that we will need in the coming years.

So, let's make this happen in a BIG way...
thanks to you all!!

Paul.

rvrtrash

Is this the same "supportive" Ford that just a year or so ago was threatening to sue every business and club with Mustang, Falcon, Bronco, etc. in their name? :confused:

Steve

murf104

Most of us would love to go to our ford dealer and purchase "SOMETHING" for our CS. Sadly, the genius bean counters decided long ago that they will not support older Fords by keeping parts for them in their supply chain. IF you can find parts that will even function on your 68 Mustang it is an accident! I would love to suport my dealer by purchasing many parts for the CS, but that can not happen. Just bought a new Mercury GM, so perhaps that will help out. Ford, by threatening everyone of the current suppliers of Mustang parts with legal action over the Mustang and Ford logo did nothing to make us love them. I am happy that they support as many hobby events as they do, but like all giant corporations they have shown a dark side at times.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I think if anyone here who has a right to "complain" about the unfortunate legal side of Ford, it would be ME, and I started this thread! (I've had to shell out $9K in lic. fees and liability ins. for the book)

I don't defend some of the things Ford's done in the past in a lot of ways. There isn't a major corportaion without a "legal dark side". If you want to talk about "hassles" with licensing, etc., people would totally boycott Shelby if they knew the half of it....

But...this isn't about the legal aspects, nor how Ford has dropped the ball for classic Fords (The repro parts companies are there for that).

This is about many local Ford Dealers going out of business, and lots and lots of jobs being lost. It's about how the marketing and the top brass (i.e. Mark Fields) have become aware of and respecting the Mustang experience. This is about looking forward with a major corporation that "gets it". The late model Mustang market is about to see a major growth in parts and accessories in 2009 and 2010 (thanks to the success of the 2007-09 GT/CS parts program).

If for no other reason, we have Ford actually understanding what all the years of ownership of a classic Mustang means.

I think for the sake of the future of Ford that we make some sort of local effort to support them. I'm sure that the right people in Dearborn already know about the past...

Paul N.

Midnight Special

I don't defend some of the things Ford's done in the past in a lot of ways. There isn't a major corportaion without a "legal dark side". If you want to talk about "hassles" with licensing, etc., people would totally boycott Shelby if they knew the half of it....

But...this isn't about the legal aspects, nor how Ford has dropped the ball for classic Fords (The repro parts companies are there for that).

This is about many local Ford Dealers going out of business, and lots and lots of jobs being lost. It's about how the marketing and the top brass (i.e. Mark Fields) have become aware of and respecting the Mustang experience. This is about looking forward with a major corporation that "gets it". The late model Mustang market is about to see a major growth in parts and accessories in 2009 and 2010 (thanks to the success of the 2007-09 GT/CS parts program).

If for no other reason, we have Ford actually understanding what all the years of ownership of a classic Mustang means.

I think for the sake of the future of Ford that we make some sort of local effort to support them. I'm sure that the right people in Dearborn already know about the past...

Paul N.

If there is one good thing about recession - it's that it causes big companies to get back to founding principles ie; they "get it" because there is suddenly no $$ coming in. While I think it's a noble gesture to support Ford by "buying stuff", I also think it's like taking vitamins to deal with cancer at this stage. Until there is sound and permanent policy at the board level for customer appreciation (first) over $$, we're only nourishing that "cancer" along without cure...

I'm happy that Ford isn't asking for bailout (our $$), but this past business of threatening their support base with lawsuits is a big one! I was very "pissed" when that happened and vowed (at the time) to never buy a new Ford!! But with hardship comes adjustment, better quality, service and (hopefully) policy...

BTW, My son TJ did as you suggested two weeks ago. We stopped by our local Ford store and were treated very nicely. While there wasn't much to offer re; our "classics", there was a strong re-kindling of excitement with the new cars. Prices are coming down and vowing of service going up.
They were very happy having our "Special" sitting out front as well (even tho it was the clone;-)

Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• DSC_0381.jpg
    DSC_0381.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_0361.jpg
    DSC_0361.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC_0349.jpg
    DSC_0349.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0357.jpg
    DSC_0357.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_0350.jpg
    DSC_0350.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_0373.jpg
    DSC_0373.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 21

hotrodgrany

I agree with supporting Ford, Paul, as I have been doing so since 1998, I personaly have purchased 7 Mustangs. I will have to check out my dealership to see what he has to offer, but not a new one yet. I asked my husband about trading the 04 convert off, his responce .:icon_no: :icon_no:.. so I guess I will keep her for now along with the 07. I wished had an early model Mustang like Amy's. This would be so :cool: to add to my collection. We are what you call Ford people here.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Hey GT/HRG...

I can't speak for Amy, but I'm getting vibes that she might want to sell that CS. Anything is possible.

What is great about this place is that we have opportunities like a family to move cars around from one owner to another--and late model folks might find an original CS, and vice versa.

I didn't mean to precipitate misgivings about Ford on this thread, nor blindly support them, either. We're just in a situation where the company that made a really cool Mustang in 1968 is in trouble, and I think that some "grass roots" support is in order.

I can see through advertising hype and such, but you should have been there at the 2010 Reveal...it was like old home week...for Mustang owners from the beginning. I felt honored and appreciated as a Mustang enthusiast.

I honestly think that as we get closer to Ford, they'll respond back to us. The "Mustang Nation" as they call it, is VERY STRONG in the good 'ol USA, and we don't (yet) know how effective as a group that we really are.

This is one way to make an impact, and if Ford enthusiasts were to buy something--anything-- at a Ford Dealer Parts Dept, or a new or used Ford, the last week of Jan '09, I think that the brass in Dearborn would feel the reverberations of what we're capable of.

This is a win-win for everyone, and as close as I've been to the Ford & Mustang worlds, I really believe in this effort.

...and I wish to add that HRG is a wonderful person, and I always appreciate her posts of support.

Paul N.

Talan423

I also believe in supporting Ford Motor co. To the people that think Ford is so wrong for wanting to protect the copyrighted name of THEIR own product I can understand to a certain extent why you would be upset by this. This I believe is because you (as well as I) feel such a personal attachment to your Ford vehicles . However you need to put yourself in Ford's shoes. If you formed a company and had a very successful COPYRIGHTED product in which you spent hundreds of millions or even billions of dollars on the advertising, engineering and manufacturing of your product.Then.... all of a sudden everybody and their brother began also using the name of your product in their business to make millions in profit with nothing coming back to you... wouldn't you have a problem with this? Ford Motor is a business and has shareholders to answer to. Ford has given back to the hobby many times over through MCA sponsored car shows, community gifts, Donations, even letting car clubs use their facilities @ no charge.
As far as parts go...... Ford Motor Co. was responsible for paying out all of that money for doing all of the research, design & engineering of all these millions of original parts over the years. Do you honestly believe that all of the replacement parts sold by companies like NPD, Mustangs Unlimited, CJ Pony Parts etc.. are or have always been licensed by Ford? Someone else is making millions of $ off of Ford's hard work and investment on their designs. Also,where does the regulation of quality come in? When you purchase a part from one of the above mentioned companies you might think it is a Ford part when actually it was made by a 10 year old child in Taiwan! Where does it end?
Does anyone really honestly expect that Ford would keep original replacement parts for a 40 year old vehicle stocked in their dealerships? Can you imagine the cost for something like this from a business standpoint? Would you also expect them to keep parts for say a Montego or an LTD? The dealerships would need stock rooms as big as 10+ football fields and 100 more employees just to look for parts! This is the reason the law says they only need to stock parts for a certain number of years.
Ford may have been a little insensitive to calssic car owners with their decisions on how to go about protecting THEIR property, but i i believe we all need to step back for a minute and look at things from a business viewpoint, because the hard reality of this is.... FORD is a business and has the right to protect THEIR property which is NAMEPLATES, DESIGNS and even the FORD OVAL. I'm sure each and every one of us if put in these shoes would also want the same for our business.

Midnight Special

...My point about not rushing out to "buy Ford" (with what little cash many have these days) has to do with their (and other auto maker's) REAL problems - the cost of doing business in this country today with regulations, UAW demands, congressional pressure to build cars they think we should have instead of want and on & on... Going on a buying frenzy would only be a band aide.

My point about the lawsuits is simple:
We sit around here and bragg about how Ford came around to re-doing the GT/CS (and other models) based on our enthusiastic following and legendary support. "They did it because of us" Newitt says... Yet we're supposed to sit quietly by while they blast and intimidate our suppliers, clubs and organizations who provide what they "no longer stock" and who outwardly helped them to sell more cars, earn more profits, gave them more incentive and ideas (to copyright) and on & on & ON...

Who are THEY protecting? - Themselves from WE the buyers?? and what (thinking) shareholder wouldn't see the folly in this?

I'm only saying "be a responsible consumer" and not just another of "sheep". You have alot more power that way....

rvrtrash

It's all academic for me anyway. I've put the Fairlane convertible on hold again, because neither Ford or anyone else makes replacement panels and I'm tired of building my own, and am spending all my spare money on my '73 Mach 1 project. I hope to have it done by spring, so no extra cash for a private bailout.

Steve

hotrodgrany

I want to add one note to this, when I send anyone to Bobwhitedecals.com, he is afilliated with Ford. He knows what you have to do to sell anything that relates to Ford, just like Paul does. This is why I always recomend him and he is pleasent person to deal with.

Talan423

It doesn't matter who makes the parts or supplies them!! It is still FORD MOTOR Co's right to control their designs and their brand names. Anybody and everybody can't just go and use THEIR names. You need to remove your personal feelings for a minute and look at Ford as a business. Mustangs Unlimited is a business, Mustang Monthly magazine is a business they all have CEO's that probably make more money than any or most of us on this forum. If Mustang Monthly went out of business today and I decided that I wanted to start a magazine and call it Mustang Monthly do you think that would be ok with them? I would have lawyers swarming me after my first issue! Do you think i could win a lawsuit on the arguement that i am providing a service to the mustang community because the original Mustang Monthly doesn't print anymore and oh by the way i'm making 1 million dollars doing this also? We look at it as a hobby... They look at it as a business and make good money doing it!

I believe that the reason Paul came up with this idea and posted here is to raise awareness to Ford Motor co., not just put a "band aide" on them for 1 week. Ford does make some Excellent products today and has gotten a bad rap from the media in this country and from people that are far removed from the auto industry. Ford has actually risen above the foreign auto makers in overall quality... do you read about this on the front page of your newspaper? No... it's printed in a 1 inch article on page 5 of the business section. The F- series trucks are #1 in their class again and have been for the last 60 years! I predict that the 2009 F-150 will be Motor Trend's truck of the year. The Ford Focus gets 35 mpg. The Ford Escape is the only SUV hybrid on the market. Ford will also be intorducing the new Ford Fusion Hybrid next year that gets 41 mpg. The Ford Mustang is the only sports car in it's class that has survived for the past 45 years straight... there's a reason why it has survived!!

The UAW opened its last contract twice to give concessions to Ford Motor and also gave concessions with their new contract in 2007 now they are also going to open this contract to give more. The UAW hourly workforce is right on track as far as wages with those of the foreign "Transplants". The only thing that gives Ford a disadvantage now is the ranks of the retirees and their pensions. The foreign "Transplants" have not been in the USA long enough to have retirees nor do they offer their employees pensions after giving 30 + years to them. Don't believe everything your neighbor tells you about the UAW workers until you've experienced it yourself!

Midnight Special

Talan423, I don't disagree with ANYTHING you've said. You are informed and right on! But it will take all of those concessions, new contracts and above all - new understanding to plug the financial leaks that plague the auto makers who otherwise have no good reasons to be in such debt based precisely on what you say. Not simply all of us pouring in more business from other sources. That is the "good" I hope to see from this recession. I also want to thank you for your narrative!

Regarding the copyright suits - I'm indeed speaking as a Mustang lover, enthusiast and (emotional) consumer as only I can (not unlike many others). I simply don't see the way they attacked this as one of Ford's "better ideas". ....And it too, cost them.

Once again - thanks for your great comments!

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I also believe in supporting Ford Motor co. To the people that think Ford is so wrong for wanting to protect the copyrighted name of THEIR own product I can understand to a certain extent why you would be upset by this. This I believe is because you (as well as I) feel such a personal attachment to your Ford vehicles . However you need to put yourself in Ford's shoes. If you formed a company and had a very successful COPYRIGHTED product in which you spent hundreds of millions or even billions of dollars on the advertising, engineering and manufacturing of your product.Then.... all of a sudden everybody and their brother began also using the name of your product in their business to make millions in profit with nothing coming back to you... wouldn't you have a problem with this? Ford Motor is a business and has shareholders to answer to. Ford has given back to the hobby many times over through MCA sponsored car shows, community gifts, Donations, even letting car clubs use their facilities @ no charge.
As far as parts go...... Ford Motor Co. was responsible for paying out all of that money for doing all of the research, design & engineering of all these millions of original parts over the years. Do you honestly believe that all of the replacement parts sold by companies like NPD, Mustangs Unlimited, CJ Pony Parts etc.. are or have always been licensed by Ford? Someone else is making millions of $ off of Ford's hard work and investment on their designs. Also,where does the regulation of quality come in? When you purchase a part from one of the above mentioned companies you might think it is a Ford part when actually it was made by a 10 year old child in Taiwan! Where does it end?
Does anyone really honestly expect that Ford would keep original replacement parts for a 40 year old vehicle stocked in their dealerships? Can you imagine the cost for something like this from a business standpoint? Would you also expect them to keep parts for say a Montego or an LTD? The dealerships would need stock rooms as big as 10+ football fields and 100 more employees just to look for parts! This is the reason the law says they only need to stock parts for a certain number of years.
Ford may have been a little insensitive to calssic car owners with their decisions on how to go about protecting THEIR property, but i i believe we all need to step back for a minute and look at things from a business viewpoint, because the hard reality of this is.... FORD is a business and has the right to protect THEIR property which is NAMEPLATES, DESIGNS and even the FORD OVAL. I'm sure each and every one of us if put in these shoes would also want the same for our business.

I absolutely agree with everything you've said.

Very well put.

I sarcasticaly whine about the royalties I'm paying, but Ford does own the GT/CS name, which ironically is due to my 1989 book that "inspired" them to do the '07-'09 GT/CS.

Paul N.

Mosesatm

I absolutely agree with everything you've said.

Very well put.

I sarcasticaly whine about the royalties I'm paying, but Ford does own the GT/CS name, which ironically is due to my 1989 book that "inspired" them to do the '07-'09 GT/CS.

Paul N.

Speaking of books, what's the latest WAG for the release date of the new book?