• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Triple "B's" Garage

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Latest visitor to the clinic is a 1966 Fastback that is a time capsule from the mid-1970's. It is an A code automatic car that someone hot-rodded way back when. It has been sitting for about 25 years and who-boy does the gas smell good in that tank!! It must be the dirtiest, greasiest, mold infested thing I have ever been near. I made the owner go in the interior and wipe it down with a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water. And a Haz Mat suit!!

This car has the full fender flare treatment that Tim O'Brien has to love!! Chin spoiler and lowered to the deck. It has a true Hipo 289 with exhaust port work on the heads. A 9 inch rear end with a Detroit locker center section. And get this it has Shelby "override" traction bars and a rear seat delete like the 65 Shelby. Rear sway bar and large front sway bar with manual 4 piston caliper disc brakes. Monte Carlo Bar and Export Brace. Big leaf springs and it is on the deck!!

A period Mallory Unilte conversion into a stock Ford dizzy. Edelbrock Torker II with a Holley 4118-S 725 CFM service replacement for the old 715 unit. Nasty solid lifter cam at 294/294 duration with .544 lift on a 108 lobe centerline. 68 C4 auto with a bunch of trick parts.

This car must have been built in California back in the day when Maier Racing offered all of these pieces. Someone wanted to go road racing With Steve Wick in this bad boy.

All said it is getting a full engine rebuild. The automatic is going away and we just ordered a complete Modern Driveline 5 speed conversion. Brakes will be gone through and we will get this bad boy back on the road. Same nasty cam with Stan Johnson Ford Powertrain Applications 4 tube step headers that will replace the rusted out ones. This thing will be one bad ass small block ready for 7,000 rpm operation and yet a stamp in time from a long time ago.

More pictures as we go along!! I am loving this project!!

franklinair

Oh boy, would I love to do the cosmetic resto on that one. :icon_ecst

Neil

rvrtrash

Looks like it has the racing belts as well. Someone was serious about their fun! I really like what they did with it, right up until it was parked and neglected.

Steve

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

At least it sat in a garage...... The plug wires were covered in mold and even the "greaze" on the front of the motor had mold growing on it..... She will be a lot cleaner and meaner in about a month!!!

I told the owner he may want to consider trading off the Detroit Locker for a nice 4 pin Trac Lok. Man do the Detroit Lockers clank and clunk so to speak. We are going 5 speed and the current ratio is 3.25 which is a nice compromise for a 4 speed, but he should go to at least 3.70's in my mind with the .63 overdrive on the 5 speed.

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Check out the date codes on the heads. Both casted the same day! I have not seen this very often.

Bonus points to the engine guys what see the obvious builder error!!

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Ron, you are close enough! Rail rockers in conjunction with push rod guided heads. And short valve stems with the rail rocker just starting to contact the retainer. He was one fast trip up an onramp from pushing a retainer off and dropping a valve!

This is the second time I have seen this in the last 4 months. The 1967 Fairlane I just did a rebuild on had the same thing. Many builders today are not up to speed on this stuff.

Rob

Mosesatm

Damn, those rails ARE close to the retainers!
What's the purpose of the tall adjusting nuts, is it so a wrench can be used?

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Arlie,
Those are positive locking rocker arms nuts by using a allyn in the middle to lock them down. Vice an interference locking nut. More common on solid lifter cams, but they work just as well for hydraulic lifters.

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

A couple of recent visitors to the "clinic" for carb and tuning issues. First car is a 2 door 1965 Rambler with a 287 V8, 4 barrel, and dual exhaust. Owned a driven by a 91 year old world War II veteran! As you may have guessed all his work was free. I was honored to help him! He acts and looks like a young 50 year old. Just like Neil!! Cars keep you young!! Or in my case, I refuse to grow up!!

Second car is 1964 T-bird. Basic tuning and running issues. Dizzy vacuum hooked to the wrong port and some other minor issues. She runs like a top now!

The 1966 Fastback engine may be back in a couple of weeks. Old friend of mine that is getting most of it done for parts only! Just like my Dad Neil would do!

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

It has been a busier than normal summer. The 1966 ex race car is done and it is a kick in the butt. Lumpy Erson mechanical cam from the 70's and it has a GT exhaust treatment out the back. 5 speed is a hoot and it is a very strong engine. How does this look!!! I have other stories to tell!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

All,
Just finished a wet test of Eric's {68 gulfstream) numbers correct 7695-1 Holley for his 390 4 Speed GT/CS that he will receive sometime soon. Runs perfect on Dan's (calspcl) 390 4 speed GT/CS. Yup both of them have these rare GT/CS and both have the GT option and tachs!! As luck would have it Dan also has a 7695-1 that he wants me to rebuild and give it a couple more love items. So I was able to wet test the carb for Eric on a prefect platform. Dan's car runs very nice and I got the luxury of driving it a bit for test runs! What a hoot!! Benn awhile since I felt a 390 torque curve!!

I have renamed many of my you tube videos to start with "Triple B's Muscle Car clinic"! Below is a link to the wet test!!

Rob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYILDcqJQbc&feature=youtu.be

calspcl

That is the best you-tube video of all time! So happy to have an opportunity for Doctor Rob to do his magic on the "beast". Also great timing as a test bed for Erics carb. Looking forward to taking a run after Rob does his magic fingers routine!

Dan

Last edited:

68gulfstream

Talk about good fortune, having a car like that right there to test it out. Big thank you for that.

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

A diversion between the next carb wet test!! How about a 42 Caddy limo!! Carb, fuel pump, and timing on a flat head V8!! What a beast!!

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

All,
Side shot and engine shot of Dan Jackson's (calsplc) GT/CS 390 4 speed with the GT option. This car drives like a dream! Nice power! 4 speed is the added bonus. It is currently running on Eric's (68Gulfstream) numbers correct Holley that I rebuilt and dialed in. Got Dan's carb kit today and will start in on his numbers correct Holley tomorrow.

Dan's car had a nasty oil leak. I love it when the leak reveals itself upon disassembly. Seldom can you pull an intake on a 390 and still have the leaking gasket in place. These manifolds are around 100 pounds and extremely awkward to remove!! Picture is of the passenger rear corner of the intake manifold. The gasket slipped off the manifold surface and created the leak. I will clean the manifold up and put a fresh coat of paint on it before installation.

Working on his brakes and a couple other things. Had it up on the lift and this is one rust free, perfect example, of the big block GT/CS. It is in awesome condition! No rust anywhere underneath!!

Rob