• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 68/69 tilt steering column

Tequila

I was able to get hold of an original 69 tilt steering column assy. The tilt works with the lever however when pulled on the cable that would be hooked up to the vacuum assy, the tilt mechanism isn't working. Does anyone know if there are shops or people out there that can restore them? thanks.

dalorzo_f

I would assume there are a few. WCCC just had an advert for this service I got in an email yesterday.

"See this guy? This is Don W. You might recognize him from the video you just watched. It turns out that Don is quickly becoming an expert in the vintage FoMoCo tilt / tilt-away steering column system. Having problems with yours? Send it in and we can repair it. Want to get rid of a tilt column? We'll buy it. Want to buy a complete column? We can build it. We have the technology. Contact us at (503) 463-1130."

I had a similar issue, but shipping to/from US/Australia was a deal breaker. The only real trick is making a puller to get the assembly apart, I found most of what I needed on the web, information wise. The rest was a bit of head scratching and pondering. But not overly difficult.

I did take a bunch of photos but have not done a write up yet.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Thank dalorzo. I watched some of the WCCC videos and they seem to be pretty good. Glad to hear they are doing restorations. I thought it was only parts.

I will give them a call on Monday.
-

Ruppstang

Before you spend any money I would remove the outer covers and spray lube the mechanism and the release cable in particular. Often they get stuck from inactivity. I takes a fair amount of force the release so put a nail or punch through the clevis at the end of the cable to pull on.

I might add that the vacuum bracket is different on a 68 so a 69 will not work in your car.
Marty

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Before you spend any money I would remove the outer covers and spray lube the mechanism and the release cable in particular. Often they get stuck from inactivity. I takes a fair amount of force the release so put a nail or punch through the clevis at the end of the cable to pull on.

I might add that the vacuum bracket is different on a 68 so a 69 will not work in your car.
Marty

Hi Marty,
Good idea about applying the lubricant.

Can you please elaborate on the vacuum bracket being different? I bought the 69 steering assembly and the brackets. If I get the bracket for a 68 do you think I can swap the components? Or is the 69 bracket fairly easy to modify so it will fit the 68?

If anyone has pictures of the 68 brackets please PM me or post it here. I am really hoping for it work as I already spent a fortune on finding original set.

Thanks!!!

Ruppstang

You can switch out the components. I rather doubt that you could modify it. As luck would have it I have a extra 69 and no 68's.
Marty

OP
OP
T

Tequila

I have another question. I bought a 69 tilt system for use in a 68 thinking that the only difference was the bracket. I was able to get a bracket thru WCCC. I was told by someone recently that the 68 and 69 are also different lengthwise (approx 1" difference) and I have to modify the rod to fit. Is that true? Thanks.

dalorzo_f

For a complete system with all the parts that is not really that bad. You "may" find one cheaper, but from the ones I've seen recently $500 for the column alone is market price and all the add-ons add up. Not making any more!