• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Looking for my first GT/CS

dcutting

Hi Folks,

I am looking for the first GT/CS (and first car!) I owned. It was black on black, with a 390 and four speed from the factory, manual steering, deluxe interior with console. It had two holes cut in the dash for extra gauges, a Hurst shifter, and Crager mags last time I saw it.
I sold it to someone in the northern California Bay Area in 1974. I saw it in the area for few months, but then it disapeared. I don't have the vin, and the black plates that were on it are no longer on file with the DMV.

If any of you have seen it, I would love to here from you.

Cheers,

David

speedy02

I thought there was a car in the classifieds at one time that was pretty close to the specs you had. I want to say it even had drum brakes up front even. I know it was a big block and black. It was for sale in the southern part of CA. But I went into the classifieds and it only goes up to two pages and is not listed. Hopefully someone here may have pictures or even recall the ad.

BroadwayBlue

I thought there was a car in the classifieds at one time that was pretty close to the specs you had. I want to say it even had drum brakes up front even. I know it was a big block and black. It was for sale in the southern part of CA. But I went into the classifieds and it only goes up to two pages and is not listed. Hopefully someone here may have pictures or even recall the ad.

You can see more of the classifieds. Go to the bottom of the page and under Display Options you can select as far back as you want to view.

I did a quick scan but didn't see it.

sportyworty

wow this may be my old car. Do you remember if it was an S code or X? Mine was 1 0f 2 Black/Black 390 4 speeds. Bought from a guy in Redding in 2002 and he had it since the late 70's. The car was from So Cal originally. It had 2 exra gauges in the center of the dash but was a standard interior. We may have a match. The car is now in NY and the guys handle is HD Mike do not know if he ever came to the site. I have pics

J_Speegle

wow this may be my old car. Do you remember if it was an S code or X? ..............

If it was an X code it would have been an automatic car - only way you could get them unless his was a modified car ;)

Friend has a Black on Black X code Calif Spec

Last edited:

hcsstang

Three years ago I ran across a guy from Long Island that had a black on black 390 GTCS and I tried to buy it but I didn't have much luck. I don't remember if it was a stick or auto . It had the wrong lights in front off brand amber lights. I have a picture of it some where.

sportyworty

My car had incorrect amber lights, no side stripe, Laquer paint with airbrushed rear stripes (retro) but way cool. It was a beast and I can say that

OP
OP
dcutting

dcutting

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the replies, I had about given up hope. I found some photos of the car just before I sold it, the plate was WGM987. It was definately a four speed, but I was incorrect, it was a standard interior, with console and tach, stock except for the holes in the dash.
Besides the shifter, the engine had what appeared to be an Accel distributor, an aftermarket air cleaner and headers, if that sounds familiar. A shame if it's in New York now, not much hope of finding it.
And yes, it was a beast. If not for the 3.00 rear end it would easily light up the tires in all four gears, and the manual steering was a bit of a work out. Ever tried to change the spark plugs in a big block Mustang? I don't miss that much!

Regards,

David

OP
OP
dcutting

dcutting

Mine needed paint, it was starting to burn thru from too much youthfully exuburent polishing, and one fog light lens was broken, so the might have been replaced with amber lens. The car was sold new from Jones Minto Ford in Santa Cruz, not So Cal, but close, so your car might very well be a match.

OP
OP
dcutting

dcutting

Hi Tim, The headers probably didn't help. One side was not too bad, but it was actually faster to loosen the motor mount and jack up the other side than to fiddle around with trying to get a wrench on the plugs!

cheers, David

sportyworty

We have a match

SHELBY2075GTCS002.jpg