• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Engine Questions

stangfan

My car is a C code, so it is a 289 2v car. The PO told me that he had the engine rebuilt, including .30 over pistons and the appraisal that came with the car mentions that it is the rebuilt original engine. I have the car into my shop right now, as one of the heads is cracked and I am going to have that issue addressed. Today I went in to get the heads, and my mechanic wanted to talk to me about the condition of the block. Turns out the pistons have uneven carbon burn on the tops, and the some of the bores are scored. He told me that this is due to the rings not being seated correctly (if I remember correctly). He is going to tear the block down and get it to a machine shop to see what we need to do. Probably going to go .40 over. Hopefully the cam and internals are ok.

We looked at the number stamped into the rear of the block and it does NOT match my vin. The number is 8K13 76. It might be 8R, but I'm not sure, as it is pretty faint. My vin is 8R01C150245. In the valley of the block is cast 302. I have heard that towards the end of the run of 289s, some cars did end up with 302 blocks. Is that correct?

Sorry to be long winded. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Just looked in the GT/CS Recognition Guide/Owner's Manual. It does mention in the 289 2V writeup that by the time GT/CS production began, the 302 block for the "C" code engine was in use, despite the 289 designation in advertising literature. So that does means that 289 engines were being built with 302 blocks. Am I interpreting that correctly?

CougarCJ

K is a valid Ford factory. Your block is not the factory one that came in your car.

I would check to see if everything with your current engine is 302 or a Frankenstein with 289 and 302 components.

Maine gt/cs

I have read that Ford did run out of 289 blocks and used 302 blocks in a bunch of 68 Mustangs. All the internals were 289.. Still designated as a c code instead of the f code 302's. I think this was discussed here before about a year ago.

Tim

Tim_morrison82

yes, true about the 302 block used for 289's, but sounds like your block is swapped, so could be a 302 inside too.

the guy who sold me my car said it was numbers matching... my original engine was long gone, i had a '74 302 block, E7 heads, and a C4 with 9Kxxxxxx partial VIN (same plant as your block, Kansas).

turns out Kansas was the main plant for Mavericks in 69, maybe some other cars too. so 68 might have been similar.

robert campbell

I think we are getting cast numbers confused with VIN numbers. There are only 3letters that will be "stamped" on your block in almost all years of Mustangs.

F=Dearborn
R=San Jose
T=Metuchen

The VIN stamped in your block or your automatic is abbreviated. For a San Jose car it will be "8R and then the consecutive unit number that is normally six digits. My car had my matching block and automatic and both were stamped "8R123143". My cars complete VIN was "8R01J123143".

Rob

Tim_morrison82

Rob,

8K was stamped on ford blocks too. the K was the Kansas plant.
P.S. there were no K codes in 68...

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

K is a valid Ford factory. Your block is not the factory one that came in your car.

I would check to see if everything with your current engine is 302 or a Frankenstein with 289 and 302 components.

Here's an update. Although the block is a 302, it was built as a 289. Cast numbers on the block are C8AE-6015-B. The crank has 1M stamped on it, which indicates a 289 crank. There is not as much damage as my mechanic originally thought, and the really good news is, the engine has been balanced in the previous rebuild. The machine shop has found me a matching head, and he is reusing the springs and valves, as they are almost new. The block has a Crane cam in it, and only needs some cleanup and a new set of bearing and rings. Things are definitely looking up! :cool:

robert campbell

Rob,

8K was stamped on ford blocks too. the K was the Kansas plant.
P.S. there were no K codes in 68...

Again, I think we are mixing up VIN numbers and engine numbers. K in the Mustang line denotes a 271 HP HIPO 289 in the fifth digit of a VIN number. Not a Kansas "assembly" plant to my knowledge? My knowledge of Mustangs built plants are what I posted. There is no K assembly pant that would be in the second digit of a VIN to my knowledge in the 65 to 68 era of Mustangs?

Have I been wrong since 1972?

Rob

CougarCJ

Again, I think we are mixing up VIN numbers and engine numbers. K in the Mustang line denotes a 271 HP HIPO 289 in the fifth digit of a VIN number. Not a Kansas "assembly" plant to my knowledge? My knowledge of Mustangs built plants are what I posted. There is no K assembly pant that would be in the second digit of a VIN to my knowledge in the 65 to 68 era of Mustangs?

Have I been wrong since 1972?

Rob

Rob, his block is from a non-Mustang. It is from a Ford car, (Fairlane?) with 302, built at the Kansas Plant in 1968.

A numbers matching 289/302 block in all 1968 GT/CS would be stamped 8R1xxxxx, in that VIN location on the block. R for San Jose, (Milpitas) Ca.

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

I believe the 8K13 76 is a date code, at least the 8K13 part is. I am told it stands for Oct 13, 1968. Don't know what the 76 part is.

OP
OP
stangfan

stangfan

Block & heads are back to the shop, and Bob is working on things as he can. Problem is, the other head mechanic is away and Bob gets stretched out pretty thin. We had to replace both heads as the one was cracked and the other had too much wear.