• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

'66 A-Code 4-speed barn find -- what's its value?

RU_SPCL2

A bit off of the usual GT/CS topics, but I was asked today to evaluate a '66 coupe that has been sitting outside under a canopy for many years to give the owner an idea of a fair price for the car.

I had no idea what I would find, but to my surprise, it was a Candyapple Red coupe with its original A-code 289 4V with four-speed transmission. It is not a GT, and is thinly optioned (manual steering and brakes, no A/C, standard interior, AM radio, etc.), but what struck me is that overall it is a perfect project for someone looking for a 4-speed car to build a nice driver from.

Everything is there and the car is fully assembled. The paint of course is completely gone, but other than minor surface rust, there is just a dime sized spot of cancer on the driver's rocker panel area where it meets the wheel well. Every piece of original exterior and interior trim is present and in place. The stainless trim is ding free. Even has its original, unbent antenna. The car is accident free and the body panels are all original and dent free. I didn't crawl under for a look as the car is located in the midst of black widow and rattlesnake habitat, but from the top side there were no visible signs of rust and the floor pans felt solid under perfectly dry, original carpeting and original pony floor mats, which are still serviceable. The only unoriginal components on the car are a period dual exhaust, a reverb (yes, a reverb) and an aftermarket column tach. The chrome is as you would expect, but is in good enough condition that re-chroming is a viable option. Also has its original glass.

Here's the cool thing -- the car is a one owner vehicle. I met and spoke with the original owner who purchased the car after returning from Vietnam. He told me the car was purchased new at a bargain price as its four-speed transmission had left it languishing on the dealer's lot unsold and the dealer wanted to move it. It is a Dearborn build, purchased in Seattle. It spent about 18 months in Maryland, but the majority of its life has been in California. It was last started about three and a half years ago. It is totally stock under the hood, with its original Autolite 4100 carb. There was no battery, so we didn't attempt to crank the car, but it appears to be capable of running with a little effort.

At a minimum, it needs minor body work to fix the one little cancer spot and a paint job, a new dash pad, steering wheel and re-upholstery (although the back seat is pristine). Rear shelf and headliner needs replacement as well. Original carpet is serviceable, but faded. Will need tires all around, battery and the usual once-over of the carb, fuel system, brakes and drive line components. The engine was rebuilt once in the 1970s. Lots of cosmetics to be done to make it nice, but seems like it could be returned to driving condition in the meantime.

VIN: 6F07A215910 Body: 65A Color: T Trim:26 Build Date:06A DSO:74 Axle:1 Trans:5

What do you guys think its worth, as is, where is (in northern California)?

Don

Big worry with these "barn" finds is damage caused by mice/rats. Hidden damage to the electrical system can make for a bad day. Running with "little effort" can happen but usually the gas tank needs boiling or replacement and the fuel system, carb, pump, will need service or replacement. The brake system may need a complete overhaul (brake fluid attracts absorbs water). It sounds like the motor, tranny, and rear end are also in unknown condition. Look around for completed comps and then price out (worse case scenario) what it would cost to bring the "find" into completed condition and figure a fair price from there.

Cool Manchu

Given that it has a lot against it at this point...needs paint, everything rebuilt, etc, and even though it's an "A" code 4 speed, while nice...it's not super special to any degree as you mentioned that it was lightly optioned...

And being sight unseen, I would guess the he could ask up to 5K, but realistically if he wants to sell it, he should come off that price down to 3k.

whodat

Was this car on Vintage Mustang Forums and removed?

CougarCJ

Realistically 3k is a great price, if it is all date code matching. Drive train would be valuable to a guy with a 1966 A or K code, fastback or convertible doing a concours restoration. The Toploader 4 speed complete is $750-1100 alone. Coupe Mustangs can command a lot of money, but it takes a lot of time, talent, and money to get them there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RU_SPCL2

RU_SPCL2

Was this car on Vintage Mustang Forums and removed?

The owner has not advertised the car to my knowledge. If someone here has interest, let me know and I can put you in touch with him. I have no financial or other interest in it - just trying to help a friend of a friend.

OP
OP
RU_SPCL2

RU_SPCL2

Realistically 3k is a great price, if it is all date code matching. Drive train would be valuable to a guy with a 1966 A or K code, fastback or convertible doing a concours restoration. The Toploader 4 speed complete is $750-1100 alone. Coupe Mustangs can command a lot of money, but it takes a lot of time, talent, and money to get them there.

The car is unmolested, so presumably numbers and date code matching. I didn't check the numbers as the car was sitting in an undesirable spot, but could be verified to facilitate a deal.

I don't think the owner will take $3K for it, but something between $4K and $5K would probably do it.

IMO it would be a shame to part it out since it is so original and a one owner car, but your point is well taken. It may have much more value being parted out for someone who has the inclination to do it.

whodat

If you go to that site and look under 64.5-66 cars for sale there is one that had the same details, but says it was removed.

OP
OP
RU_SPCL2

RU_SPCL2

If you go to that site and look under 64.5-66 cars for sale there is one that had the same details, but says it was removed.

I believe the car you are referencing is a '65, not a '66. In any case, it is not the same car.

dalorzo_f

Interesting quotes on the price. If really all original, rust free and needing restoration I would have pegged a fully complete A code at $6k+ easy. Seen pretty rusty/parted out cars go for 1.5-2k depending on parts. Has to be worth way more, even if as noted a lot will need to be done to it.

As noted many of the parts are hard-to-find, the stainless trim as OEM alone is worth $4-500 easy (repro sets you back $300). And odd to see so many would quickly part out such a car, even as a coupe. If a true semi-survivor I'd say a A code 4 speed coupe is still a candidate for a lot of TLC if not a full correct restoration. I don't have numbers for 66's handy but would think a A code 4 speed is a lower production item, even in a coupe...

Pictures make it a little easier to set a value..