• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Non Power Brakes

Ersel66

If a CS doesn't have power brakes and has 4 wheel drums can anything be done that is cost effective to improve braking? Like a brake booster?
Thoughts?

franklinair

I opted for the PB booster from NPD (P/N 2005-23AB) $320+/-. It includes the adapter so you do not have to replace the pedal assembly (Factory PB pedal length is different)
Installation is easy, brakes work very well, and by keeping all drum configuration you do not have to install the brake proportioning valve.

Neil

OP
OP
E

Ersel66

And how much would you guess it feels/works better with the PB booster?

bassman2

I'm trying to figure out the same thing...

I'm looking at the SSBC disc brake product specifically for our situation A132-1 I've emailed them some questions - I'll post answers if I get a timely response.

Ruppstang

The PB gives the nice soft pedal that we are all use to now. Drum brakes are very effective when they are correctly adjusted. I did this conversion on a 6cil. Mustang W/ the 9 inch brakes ( not the best brakes) and I was amazed at how well they worked.
Marty

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Drum brakes are very effective when they are correctly adjusted.
I was going to say this too. Before adding a booster I would double check that everything in the brake system is operating properly and adjusted correctly. My first car was a '68 six cyl coupe and it stopped very well after I rebuilt the brakes. I never felt the need to add any kind of booster to it.

bassman2

I don't want to hijack this topic but I just found this on my local craig's list. Would this work in our NON power brake cars? And would we need a Power brake pedal set up?

Used original complete pair of 1968/1969 mustang & cougar front disc brake setup. Includes both spindlers, calipers, rotors, shields, master cylinder/power booster & proportioning valve. From a 69, so it bolts right on all 67-70 models. $275

franklinair

You would need the pedal assembly. They are of different lengths between power and non-power brakes.

Neil

carezcs

Neil, will the power booster from NPD allow you to convert to discs in the future without replacing it? I have considering putting a booster on and using ceramic shoes from Praise to keep it relatively "stock" looking.
Bruce

hookedtrout

I just installed SSBC disc brakes on the front last fall, tucked it away and haven't had a chance to get the alignment done and really test them out yet, too cold, too much snow. The drive home from the shop was a big improvement, however he went through the entire brake system front and back and "Tuned" it, the back on one side was missing the bleed valve and the lines were in pretty tough condition, all good now so there was more than just the disc brakes that were improved. Wish I could give a better update on how I like them, maybe this summer.

JohnnyQuest515

I too installed the NPD powerbooster on my CS with big block. Works very well but maybe too well. Thinking of installing a new pedal, different lengths from what I remember. It did not require a new pedal but think it would work better with the proper length.

Randy

franklinair

If you have rear drum, front disc configuration you need to install a proportioning valve. The original valves are getting scarce (and are able to be o'hauled), but there are aftermarket, adjustable proportioning valves.
Personally, for normal driving, I believe the drum system is quite adequate. A well maintained & adjusted drum brake system works very well. The booster just allows for a lighter foot pressure on the pedal. Being naturally lazy, I installed the booster on my C/S.
If you're a high speed/performance buff- then definitely go for the front disc set-up. I'm not. Disc brakes are less susceptable for fading with hard use (racing, road courses, etc.), but for normal street driving drum brakes are A-OK, boosted or not.

Neil

rvrtrash

Two opinions. First, if you don't drive the car hard and live in a sunny climate (no or little rain), drums are "ok". If you have inclement weather or want to stop quicker, go with disc. Second, if you're going to change the spindles, go with ones from a '70. They take the bigger ball joints, which is a good thing if you want to put fatter tires on the car.

Steve

obwan93001

I just installed SSBC disc brakes on the front last fall, tucked it away and haven't had a chance to get the alignment done and really test them out yet, too cold, too much snow. The drive home from the shop was a big improvement, however he went through the entire brake system front and back and "Tuned" it, the back on one side was missing the bleed valve and the lines were in pretty tough condition, all good now so there was more than just the disc brakes that were improved. Wish I could give a better update on how I like them, maybe this summer.

For the sake of not starting another thread and not sending a PM so that the info can be seen by all. I wanted to ask you Cory, how did things turn out w/your SSBC front drum to disc conversion? Can you share which kit you used and if you had any issues during the install and post-install? Aside from some hard brake lines was there anything else you had to purchase in the way of hardware to do the install?

Reason I ask is I just ran across a shop selling off some excess inventory and had two of the SSBC A121 non-power drum to disc conversion kits for the 67/68 Mustang for sale. The price w/shipping was a bit less than that of the comparable CSRP kit and I chose SSBC due to their longstanding reputation and the fact this kit comes w/4-piston calipers, I know not the same as stock in '68 (single piston) but I'm not going concours either. I really hate thinking about the brakes everytime I drive the CS even though I recently rebuilt the front and rear w/all new hardware including drums all around and new wheel cylinders in the rear, front soon, and can just put those parts in storage to return to stock or sell them. I just can't get the drums spot on and I'm sure I can eventually but man, when I think or should I say, I'd rather not think of having to do a panic stop. Adding the disc to the front will give me alot more peace of mind and confidence. I know that Neil kept the drums on his car(s) and is happy w/them once dialed in but he also mentions he doesn't drive them much either. I will occasionally be dealling w/the notorious L.A. area freeways so need the extra stopping power w/less fade in those conditions.

Just curious what you thought about your kit after a season of driving Cory. Sorry to bring up driving her too cuz of it still being winter and all. I'm sure you've been chompin' at the bit to get it back on the road again this spring/summer. Soon my brother, soon.

Thanks!

Oscar

hookedtrout

For the sake of not starting another thread and not sending a PM so that the info can be seen by all. I wanted to ask you Cory, how did things turn out w/your SSBC front drum to disc conversion? Can you share which kit you used and if you had any issues during the install and post-install? Aside from some hard brake lines was there anything else you had to purchase in the way of hardware to do the install?

Reason I ask is I just ran across a shop selling off some excess inventory and had two of the SSBC A121 non-power drum to disc conversion kits for the 67/68 Mustang for sale. The price w/shipping was a bit less than that of the comparable CSRP kit and I chose SSBC due to their longstanding reputation and the fact this kit comes w/4-piston calipers, I know not the same as stock in '68 (single piston) but I'm not going concours either. I really hate thinking about the brakes everytime I drive the CS even though I recently rebuilt the front and rear w/all new hardware including drums all around and new wheel cylinders in the rear, front soon, and can just put those parts in storage to return to stock or sell them. I just can't get the drums spot on and I'm sure I can eventually but man, when I think or should I say, I'd rather not think of having to do a panic stop. Adding the disc to the front will give me alot more peace of mind and confidence. I know that Neil kept the drums on his car(s) and is happy w/them once dialed in but he also mentions he doesn't drive them much either. I will occasionally be dealling w/the notorious L.A. area freeways so need the extra stopping power w/less fade in those conditions.

Just curious what you thought about your kit after a season of driving Cory. Sorry to bring up driving her too cuz of it still being winter and all. I'm sure you've been chompin' at the bit to get it back on the road again this spring/summer. Soon my brother, soon.

Thanks!

Oscar

Well Oscar to be totally honest, I paid someone else to do the entire job, I drove it from their shop to my shop and it's been started multiple times since then but not driven any long distance. They worked awesome between here and there if that helps. As for the specific kit, I'm not sure but I know I looked it up on SSBC's web site when reviewing what I wanted and it was very specific in which one would work, give that a try and it may give you the kit that would apply. Sorry I'm not anymore help than that. No idea what all he had to purchase but I think the kit had everything he needed because he didn't charge me for anything beyond the kit and labor if memory serves me right.

If you need I could call and ask him if he has the kit number?

obwan93001

Thanks for the quick reply Cory! No worries, I was assuming you'd done it yourself. Am glad to hear they worked great on the way home though! If it was the non power drum to disc conversion kit then it was most likely the same kit, A121, that I got. Seems like a really nice kit and I'm sure if there were issues w/the install there would be alot more posts out on the web about it and I've only found some minor things, very minor. Here is an article from Car Craft magazine on an install of the A121 kit onto a '67: http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0704_stainless_steel_brakes/index.html Looks like the only part they had to buy was an adjustable proportioning block although I thought I'd read that the kit already comes w/one so not sure about that one yet. Also today I was told by the shop I got the kit from that he may have a new SSBC power booster w/master cylinder available too for real cheap. I'll know by tomorrow sometime. Probably don't even need the booster but for $113 plus shipping I can't pass it up. If that comes through then I'll have gotten a nice $1200-1400 system for just over half of that. Such a deal! :grin: I can't even imagine my CS w/disc brakes right now.

Oscar

dalorzo_f

May or may not be relevant, but I did a SSBC drum to power disc conversion on my big block convertible long ago. The kit was easy to install, I did everything but the final connection of the brake lines as I did not have the correct flare tool at the time.

Biggest hassle was modifying the firewall holes to accept the power booster.

hookedtrout

Thanks for the quick reply Cory! No worries, I was assuming you'd done it yourself. Am glad to hear they worked great on the way home though! If it was the non power drum to disc conversion kit then it was most likely the same kit, A121, that I got. Seems like a really nice kit and I'm sure if there were issues w/the install there would be alot more posts out on the web about it and I've only found some minor things, very minor. Here is an article from Car Craft magazine on an install of the A121 kit onto a '67: http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0704_stainless_steel_brakes/index.html Looks like the only part they had to buy was an adjustable proportioning block although I thought I'd read that the kit already comes w/one so not sure about that one yet. Also today I was told by the shop I got the kit from that he may have a new SSBC power booster w/master cylinder available too for real cheap. I'll know by tomorrow sometime. Probably don't even need the booster but for $113 plus shipping I can't pass it up. If that comes through then I'll have gotten a nice $1200-1400 system for just over half of that. Such a deal! :grin: I can't even imagine my CS w/disc brakes right now.

Oscar

Mine was the non power drum to disc so it should be the right one and your price is amazing, with installation costs mine was just over 2K. Great find, let us know how it works out.