• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Finishing touches... need advice on several items

bassman2

I drove my Blue CS home last week!!! I'm doing some finishing touches on the car and would like some advice!

My GT hubcaps fit very loosely in my new vintiques 15" chrome wheels. I'm worried they'll fly out while driving. Any common/creative fixes besides tape?

The Lucas fog light internal buckets are rusting along the edges and gasket area. The body color of the bucket is greenish... I've treated with Ospho and may use rust encapsulator... How important is the greenish original color? Also one reflector had foil in it because it was so badly corroded. Any better ideas other than foil? Also these lights aren't rounded they're partially squared off lucas 8 light... Are these correct? I have a broken lens and can repair - but I did find a new NOS lens for some big bucks...

More to come...

Mosesatm

I drove my Blue CS home last week!!! I'm doing some finishing touches on the car and would like some advice!

My GT hubcaps fit very loosely in my new vintiques 15" chrome wheels. I'm worried they'll fly out while driving. Any common/creative fixes besides tape?

The Lucas fog light internal buckets are rusting along the edges and gasket area. The body color of the bucket is greenish... I've treated with Ospho and may use rust encapsulator... How important is the greenish original color? Also one reflector had foil in it because it was so badly corroded. Any better ideas other than foil? Also these lights aren't rounded they're partially squared off lucas 8 light... Are these correct? I have a broken lens and can repair - but I did find a new NOS lens for some big bucks...

More to come...
Can you post a photo?

franklinair

I also have numerous lights & pieces that Arlie sent to me, plus I have a nice set of Lucas lites I'm not going to use.
(I plunged for a pair of Marchals):icon_pani

Neil

robert campbell

I know that it sounds lame, but I tightened mine up with a few wraps of electrical tape around the hub of the hubcap that fits into the wheel.

Rob

OP
OP
B

bassman2

photos on the way... I glued the glass lens and it seems to have worked....

hold on for some pics!
IMG_3614_zpsmq5x8k8s.jpg

IMG_3613_zpsi8gcqmzv.jpg

IMG_3615_zpsjv65ziau.jpg

IMG_3616_zpsgh9ynvag.jpg

IMG_3604_zps9d321khq.jpg

Last edited:

franklinair

I can see the Monte Carlo bar. Can't see an Export Brace/Shock Tower braces.

Neil

rvrtrash

Aren't those the driving lights instead of the correct fog lights?

Steve

OP
OP
B

bassman2

Yes - export brace is off at the moment.

Thats my question on the lights... they came with the car - and looked similar to the ones on my other car - but I didn't look that closely at the time! They were in pieces.

Ruppstang

I have used chrome paint to repair tail light reflectors. You might try it on you fog lights really nothing to lose.

Mosesatm

It sounds like you need to get back in the game!!
Here is a driving light.

Attachments

• IMG_1009.JPG
    IMG_1009.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 23

rvrtrash

It sounds like you need to get back in the game!!
Here is a driving light.

Unfortunately, that probably won't happen for a while. We just bought 20 acres of forest just north of us. Ok, see the black square under the glass lens that shields the bulb and is mounted with two arms or tabs? I don't remember my fog lights having that piece. That's the part I'm curious about. :confused:

Steve

OP
OP
B

bassman2

I got the export brace back on... cleaned up and sprayed the fog lights with some chrome paint... and then used vinyl wrap around my GT hubs to make them stay in place!

I'm also running into a bit of a dilemma with my mirrors... Someone installed 70 Eliminator mirrors almost identical to 70 Torino sport mirrors... Well the holes are 6.75" apart... and the shop that did the final work didn't test fit the mirrors I gave them. Car is painted and it looks like I'm going to be stuck with sport mirrors instead of stock mirrors. Unless I want to repaint the entire door to weld up the hole. :sad:

I also just found out that I may have to remove the vent windows to properly install a front vent door seal they missed... Don't know if there is a work-a-round or not. To me it looks like the vent window trim fits on top of a portion of the seal.

Ruppstang

Could you move both mounting holes and cover the wrong holes? The vent window seal is held with a screw from the bottom. Removing the window is the only way to install the screw. You might try just pushing the seal under it.

Mosesatm

Unfortunately, that probably won't happen for a while. We just bought 20 acres of forest just north of us. Ok, see the black square under the glass lens that shields the bulb and is mounted with two arms or tabs? I don't remember my fog lights having that piece. That's the part I'm curious about. :confused:

Steve
Twenty acres will give you room for a real big shop!!

I don't remember if the fog lights have the black squares, and I gave all my remaining Lucas parts to Neil so I don't any to reference.

OP
OP
B

bassman2

I got the seals installed today - a bit easier than I anticipated... I didn't have to fully remove the vent window... just got it out enough to get a screw driver in there!

Regarding the mirrors... the only solution short of welding up the hole and re-painting is to find a chrome mirror that looks similar to stock, with a 6 5/8 hole spacing. I've searched all over and am blanking. I've got fairly rare 70 Eliminator mirrors - and they look OK - but they're not what I wanted. :sad: