• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Spring Compressor (Again)

franklinair

Well, thanks to CJ for getting me some names & addresses, I've now mailed letters to Christian Nassif's family members in hope of establishing contact. And even more hopefully - getting my Moog coil spring compressor back. Time will tell. I really got stung on trying to help the young man.:mad:

Neil

robert campbell

I have been scanning ebay from time to time.... Hope to buy you a backup..... You are one great and trusting guy and do not deserve this kind of treatment

Rob

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Thanks, pal. I'll survive!!
On another note - got my '68 convert running, but had a rough idle, low manifold pressure. Re-checked timing (10 degrees, 25 with vac advance), but manifold pressure was only 10" @idle RPM. Has a new Edelbrock 600CFM carb. To make a long story short, found carb spacer gasket leaking. I'll fix it tomorrow. I sprayed WD 40 around intake manifold, and when I got to the carb base - bingo - it smoothed out momentarily. Put my finger at the spot and could FEEL the suction.
Thanks for your concern re: the spring compressor. Hopefully his family will come through.

Neil

robert campbell

Neil,
I have had a bunch of trouble with stock Ford 1 inch spacers with PCV valve hookups. The common carb gaskets today are not large enough for the bottom of these spacers as they mount to the manifold. They leak and after you remove them you see that the side to side gasket area will not seal to the edge of the carb spacer.

If you go to an auto parts store and try gaskets for "stock" applications rather than a universal style you will find that they are wider. These gaskets are usually 4 hole style vice an open plenum style.

Curious if this is the problem? Those old carb spacers are wider than modern universal gaskets.

Rob

Perkchiro

Neil: I had the EXACT same problem when I tried to get my engine running. I also have the Edelbrock 600 carb. I was using my original Ford carb spacer and it wouldn't work. I ordered new gaskets and Edelbrock spacer (I also have a Performer intake manifold) and bingo! It worked and I was able to time it in at 10 degrees. No suction or vacuum leaks.

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

It's purring like a kitten!! New gaskets for adapter & carb. Manifold pressure = 17 inches, just like the book says.:grin:

I'm going to wait a week & see if I get any response from Christian's family, and then go from there.

Neil

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Good news today. I got a PM from Christian - he's shipping my coil spring tool back to me this week, UPS.

Neil:smile:

cnassif

Neil,
I'm really sorry about taking so long to get back to you. I've been in Alaska for work since early December and haven't been on the site or touched the Mustang in a LONG time.

I hope that my delay in getting back to you does not dissuade you from helping others in the future. I truly appreciate your understanding and thank you for patience.