• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Exhaust manifold S code 390

David r

Was there a heat riser or spacer between the exhust manifod and H- pipe. On all S code 390 on the passenger side of the 68 GT/CS ?

somethingspecial

To the best of my knowledge, the 67' and 68' prior to 2-15-68 had a heat riser valve, and the post 2-15-68 had just a spacer. You can get them at Mansfield Mustang. These shots are from his website. Bill is a great person to deal with and really knows his stuff. http://mansfieldmustang.com/EngineExhaust.html

Attachments

• heat riser valve, Mansfield.jpg
    heat riser valve, Mansfield.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 11
  • heat riser spacer, Mansfield.jpg
    heat riser spacer, Mansfield.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 12

CougarCJ

Yes, the later exhaust manifolds did not have the spacer, they are identified by having the chamfering for the exhaust donut on the exhaust manifold. The 1967 and early 1968 passenger side manifolds are cast flush.

OP
OP
D

David r

Man the money I spent! Asked two different parts venders both tell me I have to have a spacer so I buy both H-pipe and spacer and have the later exhaust manfoild with the champer. So will the H-pipe And spacer work or do I need to find the correct H-pipe? Thank you guys much......

dalorzo_f

Unless you are really worried about "correct, an option is to just ditch the spacer.

As you seem to be buying a repro H-pipe.... go to a muffler shop, ask for an off cut of the right size (usually 2" IIRC) pipe. Cut your H pipe weld in the new part, done.

Or find one that will cut/weld for you. Mark the cut and tell them how much you need added. You do have to replace the long studs with shorter to mount the pipe, unless they have miles of thread, mine didn't, bare in the middle.

I did mine at the shop that does my body/paint, I prepped it up and as I can't weld worth a damn one of the guys did it in about 5 minutes tops... zero cost other than a bit of my time.

OP
OP
D

David r

I have the shorter studs on both sides. With the H-pipe hooked hp it pulls to the right crosing over my drive line. If i putt the spacer on will it solve my problum. Thes Exhust manifold are the same ones that came on the car. Never changed the studs had the car sence new I am the only owener. dont never rember having spacers going crazy hope some on can help as I have the motor back in whith the h-pipe hooked up Thank you fore any help you can give...

dalorzo_f

Cut it and weld in a patch... or you'll need the longer studs.

I had the exact same problem on my X code and the above is how I fixed it (rather than a $75 part shipped from the US and taking 1-2 weeks to get here, all up over $125 Aus).

As noted if you have a welder, or welder friend, it is basically free...