• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Have you noticed a trend on eBay?

68MustangHCS

I've been watching the GT/CS cars selling on eBay for the last 4 years and remember when you'd find a couple of them listed each month on average. Now it seems to be 3 to 4 listed every two weeks. They are coming out of the woodwork now. I see a lot of recreations listed too. In particular did anyone notice the one that sold last week with a buy it now for 23.5K? I tracked that car last July and it opened with starting bid of $4995 and sold on regular auction for $11,499 with stock wheels and hubcaps. The winner of that auction put on a set of Magnum 500's with CS center caps and doubled his investment in 6 months of ownership. He started his opening bid at $100 on the car with a buy it now price of 23.5K. It ran for 3 days and someone did the buy it now option. This guy doubled his money....What a deal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...Z6236QQitemZ4610951342QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I would say if your going to sell your GT/CS on eBay, put a realistic buy it now price, open it up with a low starting price, and if your running hubcaps, upgrade to some nice wheels and let it go. The ones that don't have a buy it now price, and not so dressy wheels, seem not to do as well. Any opinions on this?

OP
OP
68MustangHCS

68MustangHCS

390cs68rcode said:
you can thank the auction in the desert for your observation.

Lets get HC Bob to test the waters and put his 428 HCS on Barrett Jackson...bet he could probably retire off the proceeds and buy a 3 or 4 BOSS Mustangs ...or a couple Shelby's with it....? Don't you just love it!

I understand (9) 428 HCS mustangs are known to have been made. (3) exist in the registry, (1) in Colorado (Bob) the other two?? Anyone have an idea of the other (6) 428 HCS mustangs...????

hicountrybob

68MustangHCS said:
Lets get HC Bob to test the waters and put his 428 HCS on Barrett Jackson...bet he could probably retire off the proceeds and buy a 3 or 4 BOSS Mustangs ...or a couple Shelby's with it....? Don't you just love it!

I understand (9) 428 HCS mustangs are known to have been made. (3) exist in the registry, (1) in Colorado (Bob) the other two?? Anyone have an idea of the other (6) 428 HCS mustangs...????
STEVE, yep. 9 produced, 3 missing, the six known (to me, anyway), are mine and #2 one other right here in the Denver area, # 3 in a small mountain town in the Western Slope area here in Co., # 4 in Western Wyo, # 5 in So. Dakata and lastly, #6 (last I heard) in the St. Paul area = 3 missing in action. Each of these 6 have interesting stories. For instance, the St. Paul CJ was found in a wrecking yard in Wyo., missing a bunch and a light rollover, was advertised in Hemming Motor News and found another new owner (attorney) in St. Paul. This new owner called me to register it. But low and behold, a year or two later, he called to sell it because he had already begun resto. on a CJ fastback and did not want to stop work on it and sell it but wanted to sell the CJ HCS instead, (I think he was into the HCS for $8000). Shortly after that a body shop called to inquire about decals and that was the last I heard about this car. Yeh, I could kick myself for not buying it then, not so much because of values NOW, but just the uniqueness of this car 'cause I knew then that R codes were rare in the HCS. FYI, This is the last R code that I've been called about(early '90's). For the 3 missing cars, it's anybody's GUESS as to the FATE of them. I would think that with all the attention nowadays in the rarity of some cars, the hobbyists interest in big block cars, the amount of apparent disposable income, the buyers who want and are able to purchase their dream machines in addition to OUR site here and the CJ site, that those OTHER MISSING 3 HCS R CODES, if they were still around, would have surfaced by now because-------------- I better quit now. But, hopefully, all 3 will show up one day SOON. P>S> My CJ also has quite an interesting background, also. Will share that, if you wish, at Knotts(or Sat evening) if I can get someone here to ride with me or tour with me. HC Bob here

OP
OP
68MustangHCS

68MustangHCS

Thanks Bob, I got my numbers reveresed. I'm not able to get to Knotts on the left coast. You coming out east to any of the Mustang shows?

Midnight Special

68MustangHCS said:
I've been watching the GT/CS cars selling on eBay for the last 4 years and remember when you'd find a couple of them listed each month on average. Now it seems to be 3 to 4 listed every two weeks. They are coming out of the woodwork now. I see a lot of recreations listed too. In particular did anyone notice the one that sold last week with a buy it now for 23.5K? I tracked that car last July and it opened with starting bid of $4995 and sold on regular auction for $11,499 with stock wheels and hubcaps. The winner of that auction put on a set of Magnum 500's with CS center caps and doubled his investment in 6 months of ownership. He started his opening bid at $100 on the car with a buy it now price of 23.5K. It ran for 3 days and someone did the buy it now option. This guy doubled his money....What a deal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...Z6236QQitemZ4610951342QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Bob I bought that car for the trends you describe and also for the integrity & history of the seller. I nearly bought a 1966 from him a few months ago and his long- standing track record has been excellent. I didn't track it back to July as you did, but I think alot more care went into it than new wheels and tires. Plus - you'll not find another $11K special as beautiful as this one! After considerable dialog, my wife and I flew to LAX and drove this car 470+ miles home yesterday averaging 65-75 mph, smooth as silk w/ no fluid consumption 'cept fuel. I believe our cars will continue to go up with their continued care, awareness and rarity. This website is also a big 'plus' to that end! Keep up the good work! :)

Attachments

• IM002849.JPG
    IM002849.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IM002848.JPG
    IM002848.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IM002852.JPG
    IM002852.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IM002863.JPG
    IM002863.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IM002860.JPG
    IM002860.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 29

Mustanger

Tim,

That's a beautiful car that you just acquired. I was looking at it for myself, when the auction was at $13k and 6 days left. I called the owner in El Segundo (LA, CA) and spoke to him about the car. Next day it was gone!! Oh well, I guess I'll keep looking ... it's getting hard to find affordable CS's these days.
Congrats on the car, you got a nice one!

Midnight Special

Mustanger said:
Tim,

That's a beautiful car that you just acquired. I was looking at it for myself, when the auction was at $13k and 6 days left. I called the owner in El Segundo (LA, CA) and spoke to him about the car. Next day it was gone!! Oh well, I guess I'll keep looking ... it's getting hard to find affordable CS's these days.
Congrats on the car, you got a nice one!

...Sorry 'bout that. I called him when it climbed past $19K & he said he was being innundated w/ calls and had scheduled for a person to see it in an hour from then. I knew that I would lose it if I waited, so I punched the 'go' button. At the same time, I knew there had to be others from this group who were bidding, so I hope I didn't offend anyone... However much of an investment they are - I am buying them to drive, show, maintain and improve immaculately as possible. You'll not see any of mine return to e-bay to make a quick buck. ...'Love them too much! I've noticed too (with some of the others) that they need to be driven! Some I've acquired tho immaculate have arrived w/ dry wheel seals, bearings, turpintine (old) fuel and leaky gaskets from too much time in the barn. For God's sake - Drive 'em!

joedls

Midnight Special said:
... For God's sake - Drive 'em!

Don't have to worry about that with me. I drive them. That's why I'm selling my Mach 1. I don't enjoy driving it the way I do my GT/CS or my convertible.

PFSlim

Those of us in the midwest have to wait, just a little bit longer!!! Gets alittle chilly and slick with snow on the roads.

Last week, I was in northern Iowa for some work. On Thurs, it snowed 12 inches and wind was blowing 30 mph. Woke up Friday morning to -12 temp, -40 windchill, and still 30 mph straight winds. Not a good day for a GT/CS.

Enjoy that California weather!!

Paul

Midnight Special

PFSlim said:
Those of us in the midwest have to wait, just a little bit longer!!! Gets alittle chilly and slick with snow on the roads.

Last week, I was in northern Iowa for some work. On Thurs, it snowed 12 inches and wind was blowing 30 mph. Woke up Friday morning to -12 temp, -40 windchill, and still 30 mph straight winds. Not a good day for a GT/CS.

Enjoy that California weather!!

Paul

...Indeed I failed to check the national weather belore making that suggestion. We are lucky out here, tho did have around 5 inches of snow over the weekend. 'Melted away perty quick however... The snow we have here is known as 'Sierra Cement'. Wet, slushy, stays put as apposed to blowing away...

By the way - the T-shirt webpage is almost done! Still refining 'Gulfstream Aqua' before adding to the page.

Attachments

• aquavnl.jpg
    aquavnl.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 19
  • aqua.jpg
    aqua.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 18