• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 GT/CS Gas Cap

dalorzo_f

Know its a C8ZZ-9030-C, but in looking for a replacement for the repaint noticed NPD sells a "68 GT/CS" base for about $130 and a "67-68 Shelby" for half that.

Thought the base was the same and the only difference was the logo/applique on the lid?

Ruppstang

It is not written very well but I think the emblem comes with the cap.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Nope, have to pay an additional $40-ish for the emblem. Asked NPD and its some deal wiht Ford licensing. The base is the exact same part, but if you want the GT/CS emblem you have to pay extra for the base... looking for an alterantive.

May just steel wool the original and try to paint the balck area but have never had much luck painting those types of masked areas...

Ruppstang

I would watch Ebay there are better deals out there. Virginia Classic Mustang has a complete 68 pop off for 99.00 part # ER526 Brant has some good deals there.
Marty

x-codegtcs

I bought one of those silly things...had to drill holes in the lid to match the logo and buy new push nuts as the ones that come with the logo are too large and WILL NOT hold the logo (I refuse to use silicon). Seriously frustrating for the cost...

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

From NPD? What specific part numbers... I know thier Ford Parts Manager and can run it past him to check fit. Thanks for the heads up before dropping the coin...

x-codegtcs

yep - NPD...9030-7B and emblem 9A031-5. The real kicker here is that there is a paper inside the box stating that these are for non-driven show cars only and not to be used with cars containing fuel and driven! WHAT!!! Unfortunately, if you want a new cap, you have no other choice. When I called in to let them know of the push nut problem and that they should inform their supplier, it seemed to have fallen on deaf ears. He just said, well, if you are not happy with it, you can return it...like I am going to return it when I don't have any other choices! Regardless, despite the 2 minutes to re-drill two holes and the $0.30 for new push nuts, the part looks good on the car. To me, it is the principle - $170 for something and I still have to rework the damn thing. Now hopefully I don't get rear-ended, have it pop open, leak gas and make me go boom...

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

The OEM style pop-open cap, spring loaded seal, was recalled as a safety issue. So its a CYA for the manufacturer to avoid a lawyer suing them is someone has "issues".

I'll ask my contact to look into it.

Mosesatm

The OEM style pop-open cap, spring loaded seal, was recalled as a safety issue. So its a CYA for the manufacturer to avoid a lawyer suing them is someone has "issues".

I'll ask my contact to look into it.

Are you saying Ford recalled the cars and replaced the gas caps? My first GT/CS was recalled in 1977 for the seat hinge issue. I no longer had the seats so they just gave me the hinges.
When was the gas cap recall?

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

I thought the spring loaded seal type cap was recalled. I don't know any date.

Too easy to pop open and spill gas in an accident... I have seen numerous later versions with the cap and chain and "U" spring you fish into the filler neck.

Maybe they were just reengineered for the service replacements. In any case, that is the reason the OEM style repros have the disclaimer...

Ruppstang

It has been a while since I bought one but the last one I got from Virginia Classic Mustang had the disclaimer and provided a twist on cap that fit under the pop off cap for driven cars.
If any one is concerned about their safety it is easy to remove the spring and seal and purchase a small twist on cap. BTW the emblem holes and nuts worked perfectly on mine.
Marty

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Thanks for the feedback on the part. Got in touch with NPD and asked if they would check before ordering... and shipping halfway around the planet... :wink:

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

NPD got back to me.

Test fit a setup off-the-shelf and said that one of the pins was a hair off, but could be installed with a slight effort or a swipe with a file would take care of it. On the clips they did note that a prior batch was mislabled and that has been corrected... all went together fine in their random sample test...

They also confirmed that the spring-seal cap was recalled, as noted above, but no date provided.