• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GTCS Restoration

seafoamsammy

I am a first time poster, but my GTCS has been in my family since 1983. I believe it was one of the first lots out the door (consective Unit 142575) with a build date of 2/15/68. It only has a 289 (which actually makes me happy - best engine Ford ever built), but I know that adversly impacts the value.

It is pretty much all original and fully loaded except it only has an AM radio.

I have owned it since 1996 and have only put about 700 miles on it. It has about 96,000 original miles. However, recently a family of mice decided to make their home in my interior and got into my headliner and rear seat foam. As such, I think it is time to consider a restoration project. Problem is, I don't really have the time to do the work.

I have a couple of questions for the experts out there:

1) Does anyone know of any restoration businesses in the Northwest Indiana/Chicago area who would undertake the project, and
2) Does anyone have an idea of the value of the car after the restoration is complete?

One final thought - the car as far as I can tell is immaculate, meaning that the body is perfect, no rust. Engine is in good shape, really just needs cleaned up. Chrome is in very good shape - but would replace mirrors and any other pitted items. So, I suspect much of the car would not be replaced or even need it.

Thanks to all ;-)

P

PNewitt

Hello, and let me be the first to welcome you to the boards. I love your screen name- "SeafoamSammy".....very clever!

I run the GT/CS Registry, and if you'd like to register your GT/CS, you can do so by sending me your car's VIN, data (door) plate info, and any options and photos (on a CD?), to: Paul M. Newitt, P.O. Box 2245, Davis, CA 95617

If you wish, you can obtain a Marti Report (www.martiautoworks.com) that tells about your car, and it's original options, where it was sold, etc., and you could send me a photocopy.

In any case, boy are you in luck! Another person here, named "Case12" (Casey) is in the Chicago area, and would love to help you out. He'll see your post, and probably respond, and/or sendyou a PM (private message).

Sorry about the mice problem. Obviously, they are mice with a sense of class to make your GT/CS a home. LOL!

Welcome, and I'm sure you'll have more assistance coming your way than you'd expect.

Paul Newitt.

sam

Welcome seafoamsammy..........when you have an opportunity, post a picture of your car. Is it the seafoam color??? which I beleive was a rear/limited color option for that year. Several years ago, I looked seriously as a seaform 68 coupe in New Hampshire that was actually in good shape, and very much as your description.
I think the 289CI engine is a great powerplant and this is what is in my car.
I don't think a 289 takes away from your car at all.
Welcome

Sam

robert campbell

Seafoamsammy
Make sure you check the heater core area also. I had a mouse make that his special castle in my car. He fell prey to peanut butter on a trap, but made a mess of the foam stuff in the heater core area.

Is the car seafoam green? That is a very pretty green in my opinion!

Rob

hicountrybob

Hello, and let me be the first to welcome you to the boards. I love your screen name- "SeafoamSammy".....very clever!

I run the GT/CS Registry, and if you'd like to register your GT/CS, you can do so by sending me your car's VIN, data (door) plate info, and any options and photos (on a CD?), to: Paul M. Newitt, P.O. Box 2245, Davis, CA 95617

If you wish, you can obtain a Marti Report (www.martiautoworks.com) that tells about your car, and it's original options, where it was sold, etc., and you could send me a photocopy.

In any case, boy are you in luck! Another person here, named "Case12" (Casey) is in the Chicago area, and would love to help you out. He'll see your post, and probably respond, and/or sendyou a PM (private message).

Sorry about the mice problem. Obviously, they are mice with a sense of class to make your GT/CS a home. LOL!

Welcome, and I'm sure you'll have more assistance coming your way than you'd expect.

Paul Newitt.

Paul N, FYI, this car #142575 is in your '96 registry pg. 26 w/ only vin # and 2nd line from the door tag (no owner listed). You got this info from your Craig Z list, according to your notes. Maybe we'll learn more from the owner. HC Bob here.