• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Drive Shaft Restoration

Tequila

I am planning on restoring my drive shaft using the awesome write up that Marty had shared in the restoration reference section. I don't think I can ever get the results that Marty achieved, but hopefully,if it turns out 1/2 way decent I will be happy. Here's the link to the original write-up.

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9525

My question is that instead of doing the Evaprorust removal treatment, can I just get it sandblasted and then sand it down till the finish is smooth? Or would sand blasting usually leave the surface too rough with that grayish finish?

Any suggestions? thanks.

Ruppstang

I would not recommend bead blasting it would require more sanding than if you just sanded the rust off. There are other products like Evaporust on the market. It will require 2 gallons. I would get all of the other parts you would like a bare metal finish on ready and do them while you have the solution. It will only last a month or two once you start using it. Post pictures of your progress.
Marty

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Thanks Marty. Appreciate the info. I already bought the Evaporust, but was concerned about the disposal. Anyways, I think I will go for it and keep you updated as to the progress.

Ruppstang

Evaporust is super safe, you can put your hands in it. When you are done you can pour it down the drain or put it on your yard.

gt/csj4

I highly recommend it. I used it on mine and it took almost all rust off. Bonus on my end was the original paint stripes were still visible

Ruppstang

Here are a few more parts done with Evaporust and Bowshield protectant.
Marty

Attachments

• HCS restored parts 003.JPG
    HCS restored parts 003.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 42
  • HCS Suspenstion 002.JPG
    HCS Suspenstion 002.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 38
  • HCS Suspenstion 007.JPG
    HCS Suspenstion 007.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 35
  • HCS Suspenstion 008.JPG