• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Help Decode My Engine

njmop

I need some help to see if the engine in my GT/CS is original.

3K10C672 is what the block stamp looks like. The stamp is kinda poor.

It is a C code 289 2V, which is right for the car, but what other info can I get from that code?

My VIN is 8R01C142482.

Thanks all.

gtcs1

It is a C code 289 2V, which is right for the car, but what other info can I get from that code?

My VIN is 8R01C142482.

Thanks all.

Hi,

You should look at the following thread which mentions where to look for the stamped VIN number; it is found at the back of the block at the top on a flat spot.

Here is the thread link. http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6904&page=2

Hope you have the right one.

Mosesatm

My VIN is 8R01C142482.

Thanks all.

Where on the block is the 3K10C672 stamped? Is it stamped (recessed) or cast (raised)?

@Holmes

Well its not the original. It looks like the #s are 8R100672. I have seen many 3's that are 8's upon closser inspection and k's that are r's, The first number is the year. So i doubt that you have a 1963 260. It looks just like a 289 but the odds are its an 8 not a 3. The second letter is the plant and the last 6 numbers are the vin from the car that engine was produced with.

OP
OP
njmop

njmop

Thanks all. The stamp is likely the an 8 and not a 3. The stamp is tough to read and is kind of off center poorly done. It is a recessed hand stamp on the back top/rear of the block. So if the motor is a 68 289 2V, which my car is supposed to have, is it then "correct" although not "matching"?

CougarCJ

My best guess is that this block came from another Ford.
The "K" is the assembly plant code in that partial VIN.

K is Kansas City. This 302 engine block likely came out of a 1973 Ford Maverick.

The VIN number should not have a letter "C", most likely it is a poorly stamped "0" or "6".

rvrtrash

Cougar is probably correct. My San Jose block is stamped neatly in the flat at top, rear of the engine. They look like they were done with a machine or a jig. I have blocks from Dearborn that are stamped on the rear just below where the head mounts, and they look like they were done freehand by a drunk. If your block is Kansas City, it looks like they did it the same there.

Steve