• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Carb leak...O Ring or fitted brass

HappyHour

Hello fellow CSers....been on a bit of a hiatus. Good to be back.

After 6 months out of the country I was excited to take my CS for spin. However I was met with a gas leak at the carb that pooled on block. I had a smiliar problem a year ago before driving up from SoCal so was slightly surprised.

We replaced the O ring kit back then no issues for a while. Now I have a steady dribble (more than drip) at the round flat fitted piece on the right rear of the Holly 4 barrel carb. It also was leaking at the seam on the rear just to the right of the flat round fitted piece and we tried to tighten it down.

So my question is this round "fitted" brass piece (closeup 1st pic) also require a gasket or just held by PSI? Or is the O ring also the culprit. Is it possible the gasket quality or fit was off?

Im gonna order another gasket from reputable place (will check with ClubPro) after we run some additional tests but just wanted to see if forum had feedback.

Thanks in advance!! :smile:

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 25
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 25

Midnight Special

Hey Robert, Great to see you here again!

Mine would do that - get wet again, swell, then seal itself... Go start it right now and see if it's still leaking before you take it apart. The connecting tube o-ring was usually the culprit (making it look like everything was leaking...)

robert campbell

I have never seen the brass plug leak. More than likely it is the o-ring. They are fun to replace at times. In your case I would take off the back float bowl. Then you are not monkeying with the accelerator pump arm. I get two new o-rings put them up about 1/8 of an inch up the fuel tube on each end. I put a drop of motor oil on each o-ring. Then gently put it in the front bowl and then start the rear bowl on the tube aligned to the four screw holes for the float bowl.

Gently push in and the oil will help them "roll" up the tube and into place. Tighten the float bowl down equally and slowly and the leak should go away.

These o-rings should be geni Holley o-rings. Accept no substitute!!!

Rob

OP
OP
HappyHour

HappyHour

Thanks Tim!! It was a great trip Peru Bolivia and Colombia.

Ill re-check it this weekend and see if it "swelled". And thanks RC just what I needed if I need to replace the O ring again.

And will accept no substitutes!! :wink: