• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

r code gt/cs

can anyone out there tell me if they made 428 california specials? If so what was different like emblems hoos scoop etc. thank you( I am thinking of installing a428 cj in my c code gt/cs #151496)

admin

Staff member
Administrator
They did make R code GT/CS's, although strangely enough they seemed to have made more HCS R codes.

They got the CJ hood scoop for sure.I've talked to Bob Teets about this. (he's got an R code HCS) Not sure on the emblems. I would guess they used the 428 emblems on the scoop, but not elsewhere.

C160223

Yes, the 428 was available for GT/CS & HCS. The only visual difference on the 428 cars was the hood. All 428 cars in 1968 used a flat hood (no turn signals) and a hood scoop.

68 428 hood

Remember, if you do install a 428, make sure to reinforce the shock towers!!

OP
OP
G

Are the shock towers reinforced on s code cars as well It will be a little easier to check out if so.Does some one make a kit or will I need a donor car? I know the frame motor mounts are different as I see them on e- bay from time to time I am sure the block motor mounts are readily available.After market headers and stock FE exhaust manifolds should work right?

OP
OP
G

Hello, Bob Teets R-code 68 HCS is 1 of 9 428 CJ HCS produced. It is a beautiful car if you have never seen it! I have a few pictures I can scan and email if anyone is interested. As for the CS, was the CJ production just 1 or 2 cars???

admin

Staff member
Administrator
I remember talking to Kevin Marti about this. He had run the numbers through Ford records and came up with the # of 428 HCS and GT/CS cars produced, but I can't recall what it was. Is that where you're getting the 9 HCS's from pearsonmustang?

In the '96 Registry Paul Newitt lists 3 428 GT/CS cars. Because the Registry doesn't have every car included I would guess there are still a few 428's out there that we don't know about yet.

OP
OP
G

Hello, Bob Teets got the Marti deluxe report and said that 9 CJ HCS were produced in 68. I have seen 3 of these and Bob knows of 6 or so.

bish

There is an article on one in a old mustand mag I have "misplaced" somewhere.
I'll have to find it & post the issue date. I remember it had a diff hood and maybe 428 on the car somewhere.

bish

Hot Rod Magazne- Mustang issue, Winter 1984 Vol.2 #4
It has a Blue HCS 428. It has the hood they put on the CJ's with a black stripe running down the middle.
It also has a Cobra emblem in the front grill. Don't know if the emblem is stock or not.