• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Tail Light Panel - Fiberglass Repair

68gt390

Was wondering if anyone else out there is having or has had the same problem with their tail light panel. The theards (in fiberglass panel) for the screws that hold the tail light bezel to the tail light panel are stripped on 2 of my screws. Any idea of how to repair this area?

I've checked with several folks in my area that do Shelby restoration and came up blank. One individual told me they have used longer machine screws with a nut on the back of it going out the back of the panel. Any help/ideas is greatly apprecaited.

Don

rvrtrash

I guess my memory is going bad. I was thinking that the bezels screwed to the tail light buckets, not the fiberglass panel. I think the buckets have the threads in them in the back also to mount to the fiberglass panel and there aren't any threaded inserts in the fiberglass. I have a spare panel and some spare buckets in the shop. I'll go out and double check in a bit.

Steve

Ruppstang

I would try to fill the hole with epoxy then drill and tap in new threads. If that does not work epoxy in a thread insert. Marty

Scott

I'd back Marty's theory but can't remember which bit they go into. I just stuck mine in with some loctite - can't remember the flavour but it worked. They were loose, not completely stripped.

rvrtrash

Here you go. There are no inserts in the fiberglass. If the threads in the bucket are stripped out, you might try a helicoil or insert, but there isn't much room to work with. You'll probably have to take the back of the car apart to get the bucket out to do the job right.

Steve

Attachments

• 2010_03100001a.jpg
    2010_03100001a.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 2010_03100003a.jpg
    2010_03100003a.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 71

rvrtrash

Yes they are. In fact, I think those are chrome, just painted black a long time ago.

Steve

nfrntau

I would try a two part epoxy. JB weld or the like. I have some of the grey stuff used for reflectors in the street.
Put a very thin film (very thin!!) of vaseline on the threads of your screw, then overcoat with epoxy and fill the hole with epoxy almost to the top, insert screw, let dry to the point you can cut it with a blade, use an x-acto knife or razor blade and cut the excess away. Then let it cure, remove the screw and you will have new threads that should be tuff enough for this application.

OP
OP
68gt390

68gt390

Thanks everyone for you input and advice.

Jeff: Excellent article for redoing the tail light section. I also passed the article to R. Parker at Boss Car's. I'll be tackeling this project in about 2 weeks. Thanks again everyone. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Don