• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Correct PPG Paint for the GT/CS Grill Found

RacingFan

:) Everyone else probably already knows this, but I was looking for the correct Dark Gray Metallic paint (PPG DDL 32930) for the grill of my car. I found the correct one on http://www.ppgcarpaint.com/. It cost around $23 for a 12 oz spray can. It is supposed to be THE match, unlike some others that are "close". Hope this helps! When you put the code in to search, drop the DDL and just input 32930. :D

murf104

Is this the correct color for the grille itself, or for the grille mouldings that surround the grille, which are also a dark grey metallic?

rjw

My understanding is that is the correct color for the grill, for the painted part of the grill mouldings that surround the grill and the posts for the Lucas lights.
Richard

Sarge

I agree with Richard on this, but would like to add that the Marchal llight brackets were not painted with the dark grey metallic color. I would have to check, but I think it was a flat black which is why they say that the fog lights appear to be "floating" in the grill.
Robert

P

PNewitt

Thanks for finding this paint in a spray can!! Cool!

The WHOLE grille part is painted this dark grey metallic color--including the Marchal brackets--AND the Lucas (tube) supports, too. The Marchal brackets are not black. Leave the rivets on the top natural, since it was assembled after the grille and Marchel bracket pieces were cut and painted.

ALL GT/CS cars had grilles with Marchal brackets, even though they went to Lucas in April '68. There were no HCS cars made with Marchal lights, even though had the M. brackets.

The inner grille (sills) are also dark grey metallic, except the chrome strips that meet the grille in the back. Mask those off when painting the sills.

From my research, this is the same color used on the 1971 LTD as a dark grey color. You see a lot of this crossover with Ford parts and specs --to save $$.

Paul.

Sarge

Well, obviously I must defer to Paul, who knows a heck of a lot more than I do about the CS! It is probable that when the car was repainted by the prior owner, they didn't know exactly how to paint it. I already know that they didn't know how to put the stripes on the trunk, as that was screwed up as well.
Thanks Paul,
Robert

mach1baby390

I double checked my GT/CS tonite and my car has the grill, light posts and grill moldings all painted the same color dark gray so Paul is correct in his correctness.
Scott
Meadowlark Yellow GT/CS

Sarge

Yeah, Scott, I got home and checked last night, and sure enough it is the same as the rest of the grill. Not that I ever doubted Paul, it just must be that "oldtimers" disease setting in. I REALLY need to take some pics and keep them at work so I don't put my foot in my mouth again.....

On another note, I looked up the PPG site to order a can of this paint, and there are three options:
Acrylic Lacquer Single Storage
Basecoat/Clearcoat System
Acrylic Urethane Single Stage

Now, I don't know anything about paint, but would imagine that it is either the first or third option. Anyone know which one?
Thanks,
Robert

63alf

Robert,

Based on the on-line description, I ordered a can of the #3 variety. Probably won't get it until next week,
and I'll see how it looks then.

Tom

P

PNewitt

Well, grilles are easy to confuse, because just about everyone has seen a GT/CS Mustang grille painted black, because past owners just painted over the bugs and stuff for a quickie restoration back in the early 80's! (i.e. rattle--rattle..spraaayyy)

I just want you guys to know that "despite my expertise", it's only from about 20 years at lookin' at cars, and doing all that research. I know how easy it would be to come off sounding arrogant in that knowledge--but my interest is in helping owners get their cars finished well enough to compete--and/or enjoy.

I would be the first to admit if I got something wrong, since there are still some surprises to be found in production changes, etc., out there that owners can help find.

I look for (personal) humility in this group of great Mustang owners. I try to give what I've learned, but I won't say that something is supposed to be a certain way just to satisfy my ego. If i get out of line--just remind me. I'm in this just as much as all of you are. I tell what I know--and if it's proven otherwise, I'll go with it.

Just to keep it on an even level...

thanks--Paul.

gtcs1

Yeah, Scott, I got home and checked last night, and sure enough it is the same as the rest of the grill. Not that I ever doubted Paul, it just must be that "oldtimers" disease setting in. I REALLY need to take some pics and keep them at work so I don't put my foot in my mouth again.....

On another note, I looked up the PPG site to order a can of this paint, and there are three options:
Acrylic Urethane Single Stage

Now, I don't know anything about paint, but would imagine that it is either the first or third option. Anyone know which one?
Thanks,
Robert

Has it been concluded which type is the correct/best match?

Also their site doesn't seem to work, I tried around but no luck. Anyone has a new address for that?

http://www.ppgcarpaint.com/index.php

Thanks

Last edited:

Perkchiro

The paint I used with that number is PPG Ditzler. I took the number to my local automotive paint store. (Valley Paint in Springfield, MO.) I would check the local phone book or a body and paint shop and ask where they get their paints. They computer searched it there and mixed it in a 16 oz. shaker ball can. Worked great and turned out to my satisfaction.

gtcs1

The paint I used with that number is PPG Ditzler. I took the number to my local automotive paint store. (Valley Paint in Springfield, MO.) I would check the local phone book or a body and paint shop and ask where they get their paints. They computer searched it there and mixed it in a 16 oz. shaker ball can. Worked great and turned out to my satisfaction.

Hi

i'll check that then. But what about the type;

"and there are three options:
Acrylic Urethane Single Stage"

Any advice on that?