• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Light Work

cmacias24

Well, I got a tricky one this time. About 2 months ago I started seeing a problem with my lights. When I have the lights on the tail lights begin to go off and on. According to an electrician I meet he suggested to change the light switch. I did so and it fixed it. Last night I was driving home from work and I noticed my dash lights blinking. Well, same thing happened. What's happening is that it's burning my switch. It overloads and then turns off the rear lights. No brake lights or blinkers. Then they will come back on temp then back off. I am so fed up.... I double checked my ground and it's all fine. Am I the only one with this problem? If so what was the solution.

StraightSix

Cesar,

Sounds like something in that system is drawing too much ampereage. I'm sure you replaced some bulbs during your restoration. Did you happen to put any in with a higher draw than factory bulbs... like Halogen headlamps, for example?

-Winston

OP
OP
cmacias24

cmacias24

Well, all my stuff is stock. I did change the bulbs when I first got the car. As far as I know, they are stock. Nothing out of the ordinary. The thing is that it's onl the rear lights that go out and not the headlights. If I change the swith they will work for another two months. Unless, I purchased the wrong bulbs and I bought the bright rear bulbs. Maybe? What do you guys think?

Jayscal

I would remove and check the ground connections where the light sockets plug into the rear light housings. This area is prone to corrosion, and the cause for many problems. I had major problems with my tail lights for years, until I removed the rear light panel and fixed and regrounded the tail lights Here is a link to the write up I did how to fix a bad ground problem.

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=84

StraightSix

[quote author=cmacias24 link=board=1;threadid=499;start=0#msg2686 date=1058129964]
Well, all my stuff is stock. I did change the bulbs when I first got the car. As far as I know, they are stock. Nothing out of the ordinary. The thing is that it's onl the rear lights that go out and not the headlights. If I change the swith they will work for another two months. Unless, I purchased the wrong bulbs and I bought the bright rear bulbs. Maybe? What do you guys think?
[/quote]

The article explains that (depending on the car's wiring setup), adding halogen headlights can cause ALL of the car's lights to go out until the system cools down -- taillights included. On a related note, most of the replacement headlamps they sell nowadays are halogen. Unless your headlamps are old, they're probably halogen.

However, if it's just your taillights going out then I agree with Jay -- it's probably the notorious GT/CS taillight ground problem due to corrosion.

-Winston

OP
OP
cmacias24

cmacias24

thanks for everything. I will do that this weekend. Now do I need to buy another light switch? But I will do that for sure. Thanks for all the info. Not only did you save me some money buy also who knows what kind of fix the electrician would have done.

Jayscal

Personally, I would try the tail light ground fix first, the ground system must be fixed up to ensure the tail lights will function as they are supposed to. If this don't fix the problem, go for the relays for the halogen headlights (the relay set up is one of my next projects) If it is still not right then do the light switch. This way when of if you put another light switch in it will be relay protected, and you will know you have good ground to those tail lights.