• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Key blank question

hatchdog

Here's a strange one. The trunk key for my CS is the same blank less the square top (it is round as expected) as my ignition key. See picture for clarification, I marked the raised side on both with a black marker. Typically the trunk key with the round top would have the raised side opposite the ignition key. I went to my local Ace to have more keys cut and the only way they could cut my trunk key was to use a square top blank. Not the end of the world but this would make key selection difficult. I checked CJ's and all their blanks are the same as Ace. Any thoughts on this and any suggestions on how to resolve this? I searched this forum and found nothing. Thanks, Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0187.jpg
    IMG_0187.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 23

CougarCJ

I suspect that your trunk lock has been replaced with a cheap over seas lock cylinder.

p51

OP
OP
hatchdog

hatchdog

I suspect that your trunk lock has been replaced with a cheap over seas lock cylinder.

Coug, I believe you are correct. Here is a link to the replacement trunk lock from CJPony parts and the key is reversed same as mine. Since the lock functions fine I think I will just have a key cut from the square blank and maybe try to grind it to an oval shape. Or, just not worry about it as this will be a spare set of keys.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/dynacorn-trunk-lock-cylinder-with-keys-1967-1973/p/HW1464/

P51, you might be on to something there, the blank has an extra small groove in it but there's a good chance that that won't matter. Since they're cheap enough I think I will order a set and try them out.
Thanks for the link.

Edit, found a page that allowed search by year and this blank will not work on 1968 cars. Crap!

Last edited:

p51

Edit, found a page that allowed search by year and this blank will not work on 1968 cars. Crap!

It might be that the lock on your car is not original and was replaced at some time with a lock designed for non-1968 car...

OP
OP
hatchdog

hatchdog

After two trips to Ace hardware to get a trunk key cut I give up!:rolleyes: We tried a square headed key with the door lock pattern and it would only go about half way into the lock. Both my door and trunk keys slide into the lock just fine. Today the Ace guy and I found a slightly smaller blank but it would'nt go far enough into the lock either. The good news is I found a NOS trunk lock with keys for sale at what I think is a reasonable price on EBay so that should fix me right up!:grin:

It looks like replacing the lock is pretty simple except for getting fat fingers into the mount to install the retainer. Any suggestions for me?

Thanks,
Mike

OP
OP
hatchdog

hatchdog

Received and installed the new lock cylinder and all is good. Proper keys as the good old boys from Ford designed. :grin: