• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 California Special Mustang

vintageracer

1968 California Special. Acupulco Blue with Parchment (White) interior. Original T code 6 cylinder car. One of only 47 six cylinder CS cars produced. I purchased the car earlier this year and began the restoration of the car. Since that time I have purchased 2 more Saleen Mustangs that suddenly came for sale from their owners. Therefore I realized that I am not going to complete this project anytime in the next 6 months.

The body on the car is in very nice condition. Upon my purchase I disassembled the exterior of the car and had the car soda blasted. The expense for soda blasting was $700.00. Nothing hidden here, you can see everything since the car is in bare metal. The original front fenders on this car were very nice with no rust ever. The car will need the left front floor pan repaired due to pin holes. I have the panel. Both doors will need the exterior front lower corner of the door skin patched at this very common rust point. The door shells on the car are excellent and the interior of the doors and the door jambs have been completely soda blasted so they are also in bare metal The rest of the body is very nice. The cowl is perfect. The car still has ALL THE ORIGINAL BODY PANELS. All the California Special unique items are with the car EXCEPT the original fog lights and one hood twist pin. The rear tailpanel, tailights, trunklid, end caps, side scoops are all excellent and original. All the glass in the car is original. The floor boards in the car are superb with the exception of the pin holes in the left front footwell floorpan. I expect that the water in the original carpet must have caused the rust pinholes. The underside of the car when viewed on a lift is VERY nice. The frame rails are nice with no jack marks on the rails. I have wiped down several spots on the floors with brake cleaner to remove the dirt and grime to reveal the original for primer. The underside of the car is that nice! The original front-end aprons are original and are very nice. Under the battery, the original apron has no rust. There is no rust at the top of the aprons by the shock towers. The original hood is very nice. All the front and rear bumpers are complete. The original grill, headlight buckets, trim, bolts and more is nice. I removed the front sheetmetal to soda blast the car. All the bolts are labeled, bagged and tagged!

I purchased this car with NO ENGINE or TRANSMISSION or radiator I was/am going to install a FI 5.0 with a 5 speed in the car to suit my desires rather than a 6 cylinder engine and automatic transmission. The original front suspension is complete and has been rebuilt. This includes rebuilt front drum brakes. The car has new Eibach Pro front springs. The rear-end is the original 8 inch Ford rear-end. The car has a set of 4 Shebly 10 Spoke wheels on the car. This car rolls and steers nicely but does not drive. Should a buyer desire to install a 5.0 FI motor and 5 Speed in the car, I have a complete engine/transmission assembly with all accesories and exaust that can also be purchased for and extra $500.00 with the purchase of the car.

I have the Marti Report on this car. It was delivered new in Phoenix Arizona Order district. Original options were the California Special package, C4 Automatic transmission, 6.95-14 whitewall tires, Am Radia, Tinted Glass and Deluxe Wheel covers. Paint color is D (Acapulco Blue) with 2U (Parchment) interior.

The car has new door panels and new seat covers to go with the car. The car has a rare bench seat with foldown armrest and the complete rear seat and original side trim. The bench seat is not original to the car however it is a very neat seat for the car. The car was a bucket seat car originally. The dash is complete with the pad, instruments, controls and radio. The original heater box is missing. My plans included installing Classic Air AC and heat. All the original Seat belts are complete. This was a no console car. The headliner is good.

This car is a project however it is a very solid car. Not a rust bucket like most of the CS cars on Ebay. I have detailed pictures available for your review. Questions? Please CALL ME AT 615 347 7459.

$7,250.00

I look foward to hearing from you!

Attachments

• STA77256.JPG
    STA77256.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 157
  • STA77280.jpg
    STA77280.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 136
  • STA77324.JPG
    STA77324.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 139
  • STA77325.JPG
    STA77325.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 152

franklinair

Curious. Was the suspension converted from 6 cyl configuration to V-8 configuration? Notice you listed the 10 spoke wheels. 5 lug or 4?

Neil

OP
OP
vintageracer

vintageracer

Neil,

Yes, the suspension was converted from 6 cylinder 4 lug suspension front and rear to 5 lug V8 front and rear suspension. The axles and brakes drums were changed in the rear-end to 5 lug and the front hubs and drums was also converted the 5 lug. The car now also has V8 engine mounts bolted in the car.

The 67-68 Shelby 10 Spoke wheels are 5 lug wheels as are all Shelby 10 Spoke wheels.

rvrtrash

I wish you were closer to me. It would probably cost a bundle to ship the car across the country though. Have you looked for shippers? I think a lot of them require the car to be running, for loading and unloading purposes.

Steve

somethingspecial

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought by '68 5 lug was standard on all mustangs. I know '65-'66 cars had 4 lugs on 6 cyl. cars, but didn't that get changed to 5 lug by '67?

Going "Lug" Nuts Mike

Mosesatm

There were 47 6-cylinder with automatics. There were 101 produced with manual transmissions

franklinair

It could be an interesting re-do. Personaly, I would maintain it as the orig 6 cyl configuration, just because of the rarity of a 'T' code C/S.
Where is Hollywood, TN?

Neil

RedGTvert

Have you looked for shippers? I think a lot of them require the car to be running, for loading and unloading purposes.

Steve

Shippers will haul non running cars. They just charge about $150 more to do so.

franklinair

Mike;
You've probably already thought of this, but just in case - the bare metal needs to be protected from surface rust. I've used OSPHO, spritzed on with a spray bottle. NAPA carries it in 1 qt bottles.

Neil

@Holmes

And I would agree that you would hurt the value of the car by putting in a V8. The suspension brake upgrade takes away only the fear factor! I love drums, they force you to maintain 2 car lengths for every 10 mph. Which in my case is 14 or more. Hey ya gata make sure the lube reaches the 4th gear! YeHA!

OP
OP
vintageracer

vintageracer

Neil,

Yes I have thought about the issue of surface rust. The amazing thing about Soda Blasting is that it also provides protection from rusting IF kept in good storage. You would be amazed how long a car body will stay bare when it is Soda Blasted!

Also, 68's had straight six engines, not V6's.