• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

To Shroud or not to Shroud?

hookedtrout

Figured I'd start a new topic on the shroud issue so I could better understand where my shroud went and if I should replace it.

How many 289's still have their shrouds in place. I don't remember mine ever having one. It could have been abandoned during some of the clutch replacements but I don't remember it ever being there.

Did all cars come factory with the shroud? If so I guess I'll plan on getting one and getting it back in place.

Pluses, minuses :-\

Hook

our special

Hello Hook, ours still has the shroud, and I am led to believe that all a/c equipted cars were required to have a shroud.

The fan on our 289, is the non clutch, non flex, five blade with a spacer, which I've noticed on other 289's with air.

If ours didn't already have a shroud, a/c or not, I would've added one anyway because I feel they really do make a difference.

Dave

Jayscal

My car has A/C and had a shroud from the day I bought it in 1984. There is no way I would run the car without a shroud, too much money in my engine to risk overheating. Look at it as cheap insurance.

hcsstang

:eek: My car is a 302 4 barrel. I wanted a three row radiator and all that I had was the two row so I went ahead and converted it to a three row but it's a little wider. I had too leave out the long bolt thats in the middle of the radiator. Maybe I should of gone with the two row and used a shroud. Oh well water is over the dam now. ???

nfrntau

My car has the 289 auto, no A/C, no shroud. 98% sure it never had one.
My 67 I had years ago was 289 auto, no A/C, no shroud and I never had a problem overheating. That was is sunny Southern California.

68gt390

If I'm not mistaken all V-8 cars came from the factory with a shroud. I know over the years, many folks either pulled them off or over the years they got removed somehow. Both my big block cars were missing their shrouds. That was fine until I upped the HP and then I started having overheating problems. Replaced fan clutch and shrouds on both cars - Problem solved. Bottom line, if your not having heating problems or are not a concourse restoration go without but, if your having heating problems that's the first place I'd look for a less expensive fix.

Don

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

I guess I'm more interested in the question as to whether or not they came out of the factory in some cases without a shroud. My car is a non AC car as well.

Any original owners out there that can verify a small block V8 non AC car without a shroud from the factory?

I'm not concours interested and I'm not overheating but if it is a factory installed item in all cases I'd like to get it back the way it's supposed to be. If it's sitting correct the way it is I'll leave it.

Hook

GTCSMustang

I found a "Mustang radiator shroud application chart" and it says that a 1968 302 motor WOULD have a shroud if the car has air, but would NOT if the car doesn't have air. This is consistent with a 1968 GT I have. It has a 302, no air, and no radiator shroud. It is an original unrestored car.

Scott

GTCSMustang

I just went back an reread the original post and realized that the question is about 289's, not 302's. A 289 without air has no shroud. A 289 with standard transmission and IMCO has a shroud.

Scott

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Ok then, that being true my car appears to be correct without a shroud. Not worried about concours by any means as I want to rip up the road but I do want to keep it pretty much original and I'll just dump a bunch of money in it every 100,000 miles or so like Paul so I can keep ripping it up. ;D Seen any good road lately?

Hook