• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Steering Wheels

Mosesatm

I'm thinking about using a wood steering wheel on my car and am looking for any advice you are willing to offer. Anyone familiar with LeCarra Mark2 or Mark 3? What about Grant 719, 1170, or 1175?

Last edited:

joedls

I'm anxiuos to hear what you all have to say, as well. I don't like the Grant steering wheel I have in my GT/CS. It feels very cheap. I don''t know what model it is, but I know I don't like it. And I want to replace it. I like the looks of the LeCarra Mark 3, but have no experience with them.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Joe in what way does it feel cheap. Does it bend or is it too thin?

joedls

For one, it feels very light. It also is not finished really well. It's kind of a rough finish. Also, the horn button keeps popping off.

hookedtrout

Appearance wise I don't like the Mark 2, it looks much to modern for the GTCS with the thick look. I like the look of the Mark 3 as well as several of the Grant wheels.

Cory

coloradoHCS

Arlie, try Momo or Nardi for higher quality steering wheels. I looked at the 2 manufacturers you have listed and never liked the quality for my Sting Ray. Momo and Nardi both make high quality wheels that are in the $200-$300 range. I eventually went with a Factory optioned teak wheel for the period correct look. What were in the Shelby's of the 60's? That would look good. That aside both Momo and Nardi should give you the look and feel of a high quality & high performance wheel.
Mark.

PFSlim

Arlie

For what it is worth, I would find a Shelby steering wheel if I was not going back original.

Just for the heck of it, why wouldn't you go with the original 68 steering wheel? Just want something different??

Paul

jk89cat

arlie, i like the mark 3 and the grant 1175, i have never had a problem with grant wheels, in fact get the billet mountings whatever you do , takes out the cheese effect of those hoky mounting rings with the accrodian rubber. justin

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

PFSlim said:
Arlie

For what it is worth, I would find a Shelby steering wheel if I was not going back original.

Just for the heck of it, why wouldn't you go with the original 68 steering wheel? Just want something different??

Paul

My car has power steering and I feel that the original wheel is too big for power steering. Maybe when I'm 80 it'll be ok but right now I prefer something a little smaller. If it was just me driving it I'd remove the power steering but since my wife will also drive it we need a happy compromise and power steering with a smaller wheel seems like something that should work for both of us.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Are the dimensions for the 68 Mustang steering wheel 16" with a 5 3/4" dish?

68MustangHCS

Power Steering

Mosesatm said:
If it was just me driving it I'd remove the power steering
I have a 68 stang w/power steering and have another with manual, and had a 65 convert with manual steering. Once you have power steering you will never go back to manual steering. Manual is such a bear to wrestle compared to power. I'm in the processes of converting my other 68 from manual to power.
I really like to look of the 1170 Grant wheel. I've seen the wheel in person and like the feel. They have a black wheel just like it, and it is awesome looking.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

68MustangHCS said:
Once you have power steering you will never go back to manual steering.

Thanks for the comment and the warning about not switching to manual steering. I appreciate the fact that the members on this board look out for each other like this.

That said, what I think you meant to say is that YOU will never go back to manual steering. I consider the power steering in my car to be over-assisted and I don't like it. Since my wife enjoys driving sporty cars I am pretty sure she will also find it too floaty.

My old GT/CS had manual steering and I loved it. I could actually tell what the car was doing while it was going down the road but I would never impose that manual steering system on my wife. It would be a bear and she would not enjoy driving the car. So I say again that if I was the only one driving the car I'd have manual steering.

I know it seems weird that someone may actually like manual steering but we all have different tastes and that is what keeps this site, and this world, interesting.

Last edited:

Mustanglvr

I must say, you guys might laugh at this but the manual steering in my GT/CS makes it a little tough, but I consider it theraputic and a workout for my arms. I have nerve damage in my left leg from degenerative disc disease and using the clutch pedal has strengthened my leg. My family thought I was crazy for buying my car but they don`t realize the good that has come from it. My passion for my car has helped me through some trying times.

nfrntau

Arlie,
This is the wheel Tony Branda sells for $320. He sells the hub for $110

http://tinyurl.com/bxf9x

I haven't seen one in person but I like the look best for this style wheel.

Attachments

• Branda.jpg
    Branda.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 29

68gt390

I agree with you Arlie. The factory wheel is a little to big and awkward with power steering. You really don't need a wheel that big. I know when ever I'm turning my car it feels like I'm driving a bus plus, like your wife, my girlfriend hates it.

Don

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

nfrntau said:
Arlie,
This is the wheel Tony Branda sells for $320. He sells the hub for $110

Dang, maybe my wheel isn't so bad after all!!!

sam

I like the looks of a woodgrain steering whell vs. the standard one that came with the car. I had a 68 Mustang coupe in college, and my girlfriend (now the wife) purchased a woodgrain Grant wheel that I put on, and it looked great. It's pretty much like the one I have now, and purchased it from Mustangs Unlimited.

However, I do like the looks of the Mark3 and someday after I've finished all the litttle projects on my California Special, I could see me opting for an upgraded wood steering wheel.

BroadwayBlue

davidathans said:
i bought a lecarra with the black rubber ring rather than wood and it is sooooo much nicer than the Huge diameter original. It can be bent though.

David,
What do you mean by "it can be bent"?
It what way?
If you steer too hard?
I could see that being a problem with manual steering.

Could you post a pic of your wheel?

I have been seriously considering changing my stock wheel so this thread caught my eye.

Rich

Perkchiro

I have purchased, but have not yet installed a Grant 1175 steering wheel. It was manufactured in Italy and has very nice wood grain and finish. Don't know how it will hold up for the long haul, but it sure is pretty to look at right out of the box!
Steve