• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Power steering set-up for headers or hipo

Jayscal

Time to share again...
On the subject of headers or hipo exhaust manifolds for 289 or 302 engines, the big block power steering bracket and the 2 piece pressure hose was brought up.

I have had the HiPo exhaust manifold on my car for 20 years, and had many problems with the power steering pressure hose getting burned by the manifold or kinking that it cut off fluid. The simple solution is to get the big block P/S hose bracket, which bolts under the lower control arm. It is available from many Mustang catalogs as well as the two piece pressure hose set up. This is a priceless set up for solving the problem. In 1969, I do believe that all Mustangs were equipped with this set up. I have included some pictures to show you people what it looks like. If you have headers I think you will still need the drop adapter for clearance of the slave cylinder.

Attachments

• ps_1.jpg
    ps_1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 27,190
OP
OP
Jayscal

Jayscal

Here is another view from the back, as you can see the hoses don't get anywhere near the hot exhaust. By the way, I do recommend getting the factory return hose as this fits nicely into the bushing. and has the correct bent metal line to keep everything working just right. From the bracket to the pump you use standard 3/8 I.D. power steering return hose.

Attachments

• ps_2.jpg
    ps_2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 223

68gt390

Jayscal:
You are correct. You do have to have the drop down bracket in order for the Slave Cylinder to clear properly. A word of caution though. Although there are bolts that hold the bracket in place I would recommend welding it into place after installation. I had the one on my GT come loose with just the bolts so took it back to the muffler shop and they put a solid bead weld around the entire bracket.

Don 8)

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=68gt390 link=board=1;threadid=1021;start=0#msg5697 date=1090287121]
Although there are bolts that hold the bracket in place I would recommend welding it into place after installation. I had the one on my GT come loose with just the bolts so took it back to the muffler shop and they put a solid bead weld around the entire bracket.
[/quote]

The original bracket is bolted on, and all the aftermarket drop brackets I've seen looked exactly the same as the original, just taller. They are bolted on too. I even used the original bolts when I put headers on. No problems here.

I guess if you want to permanently alter your car by welding the bracket in, that's your call. IMHO, your "accident" sounds like really bad luck as opposed to a design flaw to me. First time I've ever heard of any problem with having that drop bracket fall off.

68gt390

[quote author=66 Dearborn HCS link=board=1;threadid=1021;start=0#msg5699 date=1090296103]
[quote author=68gt390 link=board=1;threadid=1021;start=0#msg5697 date=1090287121]
Although there are bolts that hold the bracket in place I would recommend welding it into place after installation. I had the one on my GT come loose with just the bolts so took it back to the muffler shop and they put a solid bead weld around the entire bracket.
[/quote]

The original bracket is bolted on, and all the aftermarket drop brackets I've seen looked exactly the same as the original, just taller. They are bolted on too. I even used the original bolts when I put headers on. No problems here.

I guess if you want to permanently alter your car by welding the bracket in, that's your call. IMHO, your "accident" sounds like really bad luck as opposed to a design flaw to me. First time I've ever heard of any problem with having that drop bracket fall off.
[/quote]

66 Dearborn HCS: As for a design flaw - never said it was a design flaw and as for the bracket falling off, I said it came loose. Besides, if you read the instructions that come with the bracket they recommend tac welding the bracket for added strength. And as to permanently altering my car, the weld can be heated and the bracket removed and the old one put back on.

Don

68Mustang302

Power Steering Bracket

I am going through the same heart burn on my 68 with a 302 and heddman shorty headers. I understand that if i get the 390 power steering bracket it will allow for a lower routing of the hoses, but my question is do i also get the 390 power steering hoses?

teamlo

I am going through the same heart burn on my 68 with a 302 and heddman shorty headers. I understand that if i get the 390 power steering bracket it will allow for a lower routing of the hoses, but my question is do i also get the 390 power steering hoses?

I just came across this thread, and I am looking to do the same thing on my
'68 small-block GT coupe. I'm running Doug's Tri-Y headers and had to cobble together, reroute and bend the small block P/S hoses to clear the headers. I'm not happy with the result. So I'd like to use the big-block hose bracket, but also am wondering if I should then order the 390 hoses. Is that the correct thing to do? Thanks

dalorzo_f

Lock washer and nut, 20 years on my big block and never a problem.

If you are a worrier, a nyloc nut is easier thatn a weld if you want to worry about a problem that doesn't exist! (otherwise you'd need to weld all bolted items???) :wink:

On the 390 hoses, if you do be prepared for poor fit, unless you drop the coin for the Blue Dots... (great products, but way spendy) I have a box full of repros that don't fit worth a damn... I am not sure if the small blocks will route properly for the bracket or not, but I think the pressure hose looped up near the shock tower and strapped to the tower, which may make rotung to the big block bracket an issue... never compared them....

teamlo

Lock washer and nut, 20 years on my big block and never a problem.

If you are a worrier, a nyloc nut is easier thatn a weld if you want to worry about a problem that doesn't exist! (otherwise you'd need to weld all bolted items???) :wink:

On the 390 hoses, if you do be prepared for poor fit, unless you drop the coin for the Blue Dots... (great products, but way spendy) I have a box full of repros that don't fit worth a damn... I am not sure if the small blocks will route properly for the bracket or not, but I think the pressure hose looped up near the shock tower and strapped to the tower, which may make rotung to the big block bracket an issue... never compared them....

I did away with the loop in the pressure hose near the shock tower. No way it was going to work that way. Car is in the garage covered up for the winter, all kinds of junk in the way and it's 12 degrees here, or I'd go out and look at it some more. I'm going to try the big block hoses and mounting bracket. Seems like that will do it. Thanks!!

robert campbell

Or, get rid of the complete problem. No hose problems, no control valve, no slave cyclinder, no drop down bracket.

This stuff is awesome. I put one on my friends 66 Fairlane convertible. Same feel as original. No darting and a great price.

I will never use one of the old style power steering setup again.

Rob

http://www.borgeson.com/mustang.html