• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Another Wa. GT/CS

68gt390

I found it very interesting about the statement "Ford went to Shelby racing and requested that they produce this special Mustang for them." Think I'll stop there.

Don :rolleyes:

aemoo28

I'm all over it!

Per Duncan: The car has had a repaint, still red, original type Lucas lights, blacked out grill, ACSCO 1/4 turn hood locks, f/g side scoops, f/g rear deck all original, also side script and chrome wheels. 425-344-0141
VIN #8ro1j155553

This is one of the MADRAS, OREGON cars. See prior link about this same car.

It was purchased in a swap meet yesterday and taken to a dealership in Oak Harbor. I have a LOT of pictures. It's missing the rear tape stripe, and looks really good overall body wise. Some improper fitting on the chrome rear bumper. Fog lights don't work. Looks like one side of rear tailpipes were replaced and the other needs to be. Some paint/rust issue on driver side rear wheel well. Brakes are soft. Runs good, although it's a little 'skippy' in the idle. ANd the cruise-o-matic gear shifter is a little loose. You have to wobble it a little to put it into gear. Automatic transmission.

Tried calling Paul to confirm a missing decal on the passenger front side panel, right above the "Mustang" script about 6" from the front wheel well. It has four small holes in the shape of a cross, about the size of a pony emblem. Hmmm.

Speedometer reads 35,000- maybe 135,000? It's super clean. I went underneath it for pics. Trunk has some moisture, but no mold/rust. No trunk lid sticker. Has proper door sticker that has matching VIN.

What do you guys think?

Let's see if I can move some photos onto this site.

Last edited:

aemoo28

Attachments

• Ponies and RN class 038.jpg
    Ponies and RN class 038.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Ponies and RN class 034.jpg
    Ponies and RN class 034.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Ponies and RN class 036.jpg
    Ponies and RN class 036.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 38

aemoo28

Attachments

• Ponies and RN class 040.jpg
    Ponies and RN class 040.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Ponies and RN class 051.jpg
    Ponies and RN class 051.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 59
  • Ponies and RN class 063.jpg
    Ponies and RN class 063.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Midnight Special

I'm all over it!

What do you guys think?

Let's see if I can move some photos onto this site.

Amy, Thanks for all your wonderful effort! "Really nice of you to get photos & info for everyone :) Keep up the great work!!

To me - it's indeed a "swap meet" sort of car. Too bad it went to a dealer instead of someone who can give it the TLC it deserves. The holes in the fender scream "clone", but now with the Marti - those fenders are either not original, or someone had emblems where they shouldn't be on a CS.

At any rate - lot's more to pick apart... I just hope it finds a good home :)

DeadStang

If this was the car in the back lot at the Portland swap meet, I recall them asking around $13K...? After looking at the engine compartment and the tops of the inner fenders, I'd have to have a couple of hours with this thing up on a lift and take up all of the carpet and pull out the seats before I thought about buying it--for the $13K, NOT for the $20 grand now being asked.

HappyHour

Looks like shiny packaging (missed adding all the striping back) hiding worn engine\drivetrain\interior. Cowls should be checked and Im guessing you shots floorpans undercarriage? Definitely put on lift...and see if suspension, springs, shocks have been maintained.

Good lookin out Amy!! Yeah that loose shifter reminds me of my lil ol rizide back in the garage. Shifter wont lock into drive..I have to "float" over D now. If not one thing.... :rolleyes:

Price for this J code is looking to high north....dealers. Grrr...

RobKat

aemoo28

I have pics of underside toward the back end, as well as 20 more if anyone wants to view them. I scrunched myself under as far as I could go to get 3 pics of it underneath. Got all dirty & ripped my new jeans, man. (What I would do for a '68.) Didn't have any visible fluid drippings on the floor when I drove it out of the garage...

Oh the sound of it....

Is $18K too much still?

HappyHour

Hey Amy as everyone will tell you the value of the car depends on the person. With that being said the price tag on this car is straight WACK. Not to say someone with deeper pockets wouldnt pay up to 18K for this beast. Its a hotrod J code but its obvious this is a reseller just looking to make money. I have had to deal with "collectors" and you will see them on eBay all the time. This one will prolly need the suspension front\rear\sterring gone through and that engine is tired. Also plan on some interior cleanup and other things "starting to go".

I was able to find a CS for a great price through the Forum and I jumped on it immediately after salivating on a couple here and there. People really helped me look for things but the fact that it was a Forum car everything was up front. What I love about it is its history, its a low option J code (everything added later), and its a daily driver that I can rebuild with my friend or slowly have my mechanic depending on time.

Not to call out MNUT (ex member) but he had a beautiful J code he just restored with high options and wanting it to go to a good home for 17Kish. I would have been all over it but it was too nice, in Ohio, and I didnt want a car that was already pushing towards 20K since I think after that your talking about attention to details in restoration. Thats just me as I dont have that much of an attention span. :grin:

So now to put myself on blast. There are plenty of daily drivers that you can pick up from $13K-16 that are little tired but all there. It will also depend if the person is really in it to make a profit or just get what "they have in it". You can even put out a soft offer or that your interested so when they sanity is restored they will check in with you. In your area would be the issue.

So I would wait...I mean dont women like deals anyways?? :eek:
What are you looking for? A CalSpec that is fully restored or daily driver you can slowly "concours"? Or you wanna just stomp on a 302? You could go with a crate motor and there is plenty of peps on this forum that go this route.

Thats just my take....if your patient people on the fourm will help you find one, dissect it, and figure out how to get it in your driveway. Im pretty new to this and excited to learn more about the history of the CS everyday.

Good luck..and hopefully everyone on the forum can chime in.

aemoo28

OKAY I'm listening! Thank you ALL for your input. It means a lot to have these opinions expressed by my trusted fellows.

I will patiently wait for my J-code. I want one restored correctly & 100% according to PMN's standards and needing nothing. I'm looking for one to use not nec as a daily driver, but to put alongside my '08 for safekeeping in my 2+ car garage. My daily driver is my Ford Escape. It's rough & tough.

joedls

I want one restored correctly & 100% according to PMN's standards and needing nothing.

If this is your criteria, you really need to be patient. I don't know that I've ever seen a J-code for sale restored to these standards in the 4 years or so that I have been aware of the GT/CS.

BroadwayBlue

If this is your criteria, you really need to be patient. I don't know that I've ever seen a J-code for sale restored to these standards in the 4 years or so that I have been aware of the GT/CS.

I agree with Joe!!

I would just be careful of your expectations. Unless money and time (waiting) are no object.

You may find a car that is close to this but I guarantee there will be something you want to change. When I sold my 302 and bought my latest 289 I thought it was everything I was looking for. While it's an fantastic shape, once I got it home and started looking it over I noticed a lot of things I wanted to change to make it "correct". Not major overhaul but enough that it's keeping us busy getting it ready for the driving season.

I think a lot here will agree that unless you restore a car from scratch yourself or have someone do it for you, there will be some things you will want to tweak.

But keep looking - you'll find your dream 68 CS out there!!

p.s.
Wasn't that Seafoam Green that was on Barrett Jackson twice in the last few years a J-code? I don't remember -would have to look - but even that wasn't correct in it's restoration I believe.

Midnight Special

...Amy, I've said here before that if one were to take a GT/CS from the factory back in 1968, preserve it untouched in a Nitrogen filled environment then remove it from cocooon and bring it out today; - many folks would still argue what is correct vs not...

I hope your criteria matches only your ultimate desires. For that, there are many here w/ lots of experience to lend assist :)

rvrtrash

I have to agree with most of what's been said. I for one don't want a trailer queen. 100% brings with it some issues, in my mind. Suspension and engine parts that are bare metal and will begin to rust in your coastal environment, no undercoating and fiberglass parts that don't fit right are just a few. Mine isn't "concours" because I was more concerned about protecting the car then winning a trophy with a car I didn't dare drive. My undercarriage and engine brackets are all painted with chassis black and the red oxide primer is forever sealed under a coat of rubberized undercoating. Most people just look and say "Wow!" and it's only rarely I get a "Hey, that's not right!" I admire those with the disposable income and dedication to build a car to 100%, and keep it that way, but this North Idaho redneck will never be that guy. :wink:

Steve

BroadwayBlue

...Amy, I've said here before that if one were to take a GT/CS from the factory back in 1968, preserve it untouched in a Nitrogen filled environment then remove it from cocooon and bring it out today; - many folks would still argue what is correct vs not...

Great statement Tim! I agree!!

I agree with Steve's statements too.
Don't get me wrong I'm correcting things but I'm not looking to go concours either - I'm driving my car - she's no trailer queen - so I like to correct what I can within reason (financially and logically for a car that will be driven).
Anything I change that's not "correct" I always try to do in a way that can go back to original if I decide to do that in the future or a future owner.