• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Shelby Center Caps

Mustanglvr

Hi,
I have 2 Shelby Cobra center caps that I`d like to sell, but I can`t find any others on the net that look like them to figure out pricing. They are round (of course) 4 inches across and made of chromed heavy stainless steel. They have a molded cobra coiled up and the front half of it is rearing up with mouth open and a bar across the cobra that says SHELBY in bold letters. The chrome has pitting.These center caps weigh about 1 lb. each and each one has a round metal plate on the back held on with a screw. A friend gave them to me about 5 years ago. I don`t know where he got them. They have no other name on them. I know this site is for GT/CS`s and HCS`s but you guys seem to know alot about Shelbys too. I can`t get pics for them yet. Any opinions on price?:smile:

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

I tried Shelby Forums Classifieds and no response. Does anybody here recognize the description of these caps?

Mosesatm

Rhonda, is there anything similar on cobranda, or mustangsunlimited, or NPD, or any of the other Mustang parts vendors websites?

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

Mosesatm said:
Rhonda, is there anything similar on cobranda, or mustangsunlimited, or NPD, or any of the other Mustang parts vendors websites?

I have searched and searched but no sites seem to have them.

rvrtrash

I know that Shelby used to make aftermarket rims on his own. I have a set of slotted Shelby mags that came with my Boss 351 and the emblem sounds identical to what you describe (see pic). If none of the factory reproductions match, I'd guess what you have is from one of his own production wheels, although I don't know which one. To the right person, they would probably be pretty valuable, since they seem to be rare. That's my best guess Ronda.:confused:
Steve

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

rvrtrash said:
I know that Shelby used to make aftermarket rims on his own. I have a set of slotted Shelby mags that came with my Boss 351 and the emblem sounds identical to what you describe (see pic). If none of the factory reproductions match, I'd guess what you have is from one of his own production wheels, although I don't know which one. To the right person, they would probably be pretty valuable, since they seem to be rare. That's my best guess Ronda.:confused:
Steve

Thanks Steve, that is the closest picture I have seen yet. The ones I have are all chrome with no paint and instead of being rounded, it is flat across the front and then straight down the sides. I have pics, I just need to get them developed yet.
What year is your Boss 351? Would that be the year I would look for for center caps?

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

I found some just like them on Ebay. The description says they are new. The ones I have have some pitting and look older, but they are identical. Could the ones on Ebay be new reproductions and the ones I have be old original ones? These are pics of the ones on Ebay.

Attachments

• 6c_1_bl.jpg
    6c_1_bl.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 17
  • cb_1_bl.jpg
    cb_1_bl.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 52

rvrtrash

The Boss 351 was a one year only car, 1971. The Shelby wheels were aftermarket, so probably would have been installed sometime between '71 and when it was parked in '79 or '80. The caps you see on Ebay are probably what is called "New Old Stock" (NOS). I checked Shelby's web site and didn't see anything about those caps being made currently.
Steve

T

Tony Isaak

Your center caps

Hi Rhonda, I saw your post on the Shelby forum regarding your center caps. I am not familiar with this design. I do not think that they were supplied with original Shelby cars. I would have to agree that they were probably used on the Shelby aftermarket wheels. He has made many different styles over the years. Your best bet is ebay. Best regards and Merry Christmas to all. TI

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

Hey Tony,
Its nice to see you here on the site. You should become a member. The forum on this site is like no other. With what you know about Shelby`s and with what we know about GT/CS`s, we could learn alot from each other.You don`t have to own a GT/CS or HCS to be a member.:grin:

rvrtrash

Welcome to the group and Merry Christmas! When you get a chance, tell us about yourself.
Steve

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

I`m glad you decided to become a member Tony. Merry Christmas!!!!!