• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 GT center cap red paint touch-up

hatchdog

Any suggestions of a red paint to touch up the GT logo on the center cap? Also, what do you use to remove the center cap? I'm thinking a screwdriver will scratch the cap and/or the wheel. I see the old skol hubcap removal tools are avialable on Amazon. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

Ruppstang

First congrats on getting her home! Several layers of masking tape on a small pry bar will prevent any damage. I buy some Testers red model paint and a small brush. Brush in the red let set 5 minuets then use a rag or paper towel dampened with paint thinner to clean up the chrome edges. Another option is to buy a whole new emblem from a vendor like National Parts Depot.
Enjoy her!

mbsf1970

There is an old thread somewhere on this site that spoke to this topic....I used the info to redo my center caps. First I used paint thinner to remove old paint remnants then I applied 2 coats of nail polish.
It was a specific colour. I did it 3 yrs ago and they look as they did back then.

Perhaps someone can dig up the old thread so the nail polish colour can be shared.
I think its Ruby Red.....if memory serves.
Stephen

rvrtrash

I think I still have some candy apple red from a car I used to have. I used it to do the emblems in my center caps. I'm in Seattle now, but will check on it when I get home.

Steve

green56

Red Paint

What i use is model Car paint they have almost any color you want i also have the blue and white that i use on my 66 mustang Conv works out nice Tom WI

Maine gt/cs

I threw that idea out there a couple of years ago. It has been since 2011 when I put the nail polish on them and they still look great. Another lady friend of mine said to also put clear nail polish over the red to make it really pop. I haven't done that yet. Like I said, a cheap fix for a daily driver.

Tim

whodat

I used the Revlon Red and it worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
hatchdog

hatchdog

I had good luck with Testors CreateFX model paint, color FX Red #79207.

The emblem on the left is the repaint, right is the original. My flash shows more difference in the colors than the naked eye sees.

Attachments

• IMG_0317.jpg
    IMG_0317.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 43

Mosesatm

Shoot, I was hoping you were going to place 20 red nail polishes on the check-out counter!:grin:

OP
OP
hatchdog

hatchdog

Shoot, I was hoping you were going to place 20 red nail polishes on the check-out counter!:grin:

:grin: I did try the nail polish first but since my wife was with me when I bought it I was able to retain my "man-card":grin: I did browse the selection looking for the correct color all by myself tho.......:grin:

On another note, I ordered four replacement emblems from Dallas Mustang who was the only supplier I could find online. They were only able to send me two, all they had and I was told they would not be able to get anymore. ??? The two they sent me were such a deep red that they are almost purple. I set them aside as I like my originals better so if anybody is looking for replacement emblems and are unable to find any give me a PM.

Mosesatm

They look the same to me.
This may be why.

Attachments

• Colours.jpg
    Colours.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 31