• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

302-4V Code J

davidathans

I scrolled through the gallery to see alot of Code C 289's, alot of code J 302-4V's, some 390-4V S codes, Some 390-2V x codes, some 200 I6 T codes.

What about 302-2Vs? Is it true that all the 302's in the gallery are 4 bolt mains?? Isnt that what 302-4V means? Im positive that my 302 block is two bolt mains but is a c code. Are 302-2V's the same as 289-2V (c codes)?

speedy02

The 302 J code is a 4 barrel motor. They didn't make a 2 barrel for the California Special.

68sunlitgold

David,
As was explained in your posting of the VIN location, there are NO 302-2v cars build in 68, however the '68 289 and 302 blocks are virtually identical. And when they ran out of 289 blocks but still needed to fill "C" code engines, they used the 302 blocks with 289 heads and intake manifolds (2 barrels). So your block could be a 302 and have a "C" code VIN # but it is really no different than my 289 except for the stamped 302.
Doug

But I do have to add that it makes a great conversation item because of the 302 versus 289 block used to fill the "C" codes.

OP
OP
davidathans

davidathans

Thanks for your great info. My engine originally had a carter 2barrel so that almost certainly makes it a 289-2V even though the block is 302. I would still like to find the vin # on the block, but am unable to because i cant see it...could someone please describe exactly where it is. Thanks

rvrtrash

Check your email. I sent you a thousand words. OK, OK, it's really a picture, but it'll show you where it is.
Steve ;)

19HCS68

Would you post that pic here please, as I also would like to know where to look. :-[

Thanx,
Gary

rvrtrash

It's at the top rear of the block. Hopefully this picture is good enough. 8)
Steve

Attachments

• blocknum.jpg
    blocknum.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
davidathans

davidathans

Thanks steve for your helpful picture, i went out to the car and was able to read the vin # off the block...i think a few numbers were missing from the vin on the door which is 8R01C147325. The vin on the block reads 8R 147325 with a few spaces where i think the 0 and C rubbed off or something. It appears to me, to be the original block!!!
I've learned a lot of information thanks you everyone's help.

The next question is: Does it make the car more valuable if i keep the original block?

Thanks again,
David

rvrtrash

You have the original block. The "01C" is not included, it's a partial vin only. Does it make it more valuable? I believe so. Look at any ad and the comment "numbers matching" always seems to go hand in hand with a higher price tag.
Steve :D
PS, Glad I could help.

-=MUSTANG=-

David,

The V in 2V or 4V stands for Venturi, the technical name for a carbs barrel. For the most part windsor blocks (289, 302, and 351) you find in early mustangs have two bolt mains. There were a few that had four bolt mains, most notably being the boss 302 which actually used cross bolted mains.

Not only does the engine in my GT/CS have the vin stamped on it the transmission does too. You will find not all mustangs have the vin stamped on the engine and transmission, this wasn't done at all mustang assembly plants and wasn't done consistently.

Jay

P

PNewitt

The reason that the VIN on the block is partial--is because when the block is spec'd for production, they don't know what type of Mustang that it's going into yet (coupe (01), or Convertible or fastback, (02, 03).

All they need to know for the block is: 8,R (1968, San Jose), and the six digit VIN sequence number.

When cars are spec'd, they begin with that 6 digit number, then it is decided what type, options, etc., will become that car as time passes. The marketing and sales during the production year will decide that.

Paul.

68coupe

I wanted to add to this post, the four barrel J code 302 was referred to as the "302 High Performance" not only was it referred to as this, but it came stamped on the breather cover. A rare combination with higher compression heads 10.5 to 1 I believe with 230-235 HP stock, autolite 4 barrel.

mmarsalone

[quote author=68coupe link=board=1;threadid=1073;start=0#msg7615 date=1106006800]
I wanted to add to this post, the four barrel J code 302 was referred to as the "302 High Performance" not only was it referred to as this, but it came stamped on the breather cover.
[/quote]

I remember seeing the J - code 302 and the 302 High Performance listed seperately somewhere. I don't think they were the same engine. I think the 302 High Performance was in the Shelby GT 350s. At least that's what I assumed when I saw both listed.

Mike

68coupe

Yup it is the J, 8TO1J is the beginning of the VIN, with the original motor etc., and its the basic coupe on mine.

It was a dealer option I believe. I believe when the 289 high performance did so well Ford did some tinkering with the 302, unsure if the Boss 302 came right after the 302 High Performance development.