• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

wiring for back of altenator

imported_tree

need some help. forgot wiring lay on back of altenator. no problem with the battery & field posts. not sure of little wire about 4-6 inchs from the feed .is this a ground wire that gos to the g-post or that other post that i think says AGT ?. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. DONT WANT TO FRY THIS NEW ONE.

TERRY

rvrtrash

I'm just going from memory here, but the third wire should be a ground wire and hook to the ground terminal. If it's a black wire, that would be it, and it seems like it has another ring terminal as part of it that I think the dip stick bolt goes through to ground it to the block. I'll go out to the shop tomorrow and pull the car cover off and double check for you.
Steve

Just checked and I remembered correctly. I also put the battery ground wire in the same place. My car was disassembled when I bought it so the dipstick bolt might not be the correct location, but it works.
Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
imported_tree

imported_tree

thanks

rvrtrash said:
I'm just going from memory here, but the third wire should be a ground wire and hook to the ground terminal. If it's a black wire, that would be it, and it seems like it has another ring terminal as part of it that I think the dip stick bolt goes through to ground it to the block. I'll go out to the shop tomorrow and pull the car cover off and double check for you.
Steve

Just checked and I remembered correctly. I also put the battery ground wire in the same place. My car was disassembled when I bought it so the dipstick bolt might not be the correct location, but it works.
Steve

thanks steve, the big ground wire from the battery is on the side of my block, left side corner .no problem there. i was unsure of the little black wire comming about 4-6 inchs from the end of the harness. it make sense now.still dont know about the other post that says (agt) or something like that ,had all brackets under the hood powder coated looks great.

rvrtrash

The side of the block is usually where the battery ground goes. Now that I'm thinking about it, I was going to put it there but didn't have a correct bolt, was going to move it eventually and then forgot about it. Now I have something more on my winter "to do" list.:wink:
Steve

390cs68rcode

rvrtrash said:
The side of the block is usually where the battery ground goes. Now that I'm thinking about it, I was going to put it there but didn't have a correct bolt, was going to move it eventually and then forgot about it. Now I have something more on my winter "to do" list.:wink:
Steve

amk makes a cool bolt kit for the battery connections. Cost about $10-12, well worth it.