• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Need your input: Paul Newitt writing a new GT/CS Recog. & Owner's Manual

P

PNewitt

I made a big decision.

I'm finishing up a book (a 200 pg. model rr book), and ready to get back to doing a revised edition of the "GT/CS Recognition Guide & Owner's Manual", for spring 2005.

It's basically combining both the 1988 and the 1996 Guides and adding some new information.

I need to get your input as to what you would like to see in this book. I was thinking of some contemporary mods, and include some new photos that you've never seen. Should I include the registry--or have it listed on this website?

What would you like to see? I'm open to any new ideas.

Thanks!

Paul M. Newitt

rvrtrash

First, I'm glad you're doing a new book. Where do I send the money for a copy? Second, I'd say put the registry on the website so it could be updated easily with new members but put a list in the book of VIN's that are verified with Marti reports or original build sheets, sales orders, something of that sort. I'd hate to see a clone given authenticity because the number is in your book. Just my ramblings.
Steve

68gt390

Congrats on completing your book on model RR. As Steve mentioned would be nice to see the registery online for ease of updates but, how would that effect the valuation of your first two books? There are a lot of folks out here who have paid fairly heffty sums to acquire a copy of your first book since it is no longer in print. It would also be nice to have a registery in book form (verified GT/CS's) for those of us who would like to display it and our Marti Report with our cars to show it is an authentic GT/CS. I display both your books now with my car and have been asked numerous times if my car is in the registery. Unfortunately it is not. My main concern with putting the registery online is should something happen and the website disappear (what ever reason) unless you have a hard copy, we'd have no way of verifying our cars being in the registery. The reason I mention this is the GT 390 World Registery (Published by Guy Ramsey) of which I am a member went offline when Guy moved to the West Coast and has not been brought back. I am fortunate in that I was able to obtain a hard copy of that registery which contains my 390 GT Coupe. A lot of folks were not as fortunate. Again, Congrats on completing your Model RR book.

Don 8)

GTCS95616

Regarding the registry, why not put it on the website and publish it in your book.

quicknick

I agree with Don. I think the registery should be included in the book along with the listed cars authenticity varified.
Like Don, my book is displayed with my car at all the shows. It comes in very handy because admirers and car show judges alike keep asking me if it's real.
Perhaps you could list all of the registered cars, but somehow flag the verified ones as being authentic.
(Whatever it takes to keep these stupid , know nothing MCA judges from busting my chops)
Sorry for the rant. I got off track here.
Anyway, I think the new book would be a great idea. The last book you did is fantastic. I can't wait to see how you are going to top it.
My two cents. Nicholas

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Thanks for the quick replies and ideas!

What I could do for the GT/CS (and '68 HCS) Registry in the book is list all of them, and then make an indication (i.e. "flag") those who are authenticated by Marti Autoworks. This would definately add to the value of those that are deemed "real", and help sway people from buying the fakes.

I could send Kevin Marti a VIN list and see what he wants to say yes or no on each one. Those that own a GT/CS in the registry that is flagged--could go to them and get a report to add to the value of your CS.

I have about 800 cars now. I lost count, and I still get mail.

I like this, and it is a new feature to help sell books. It will also quell some of those (unnamed) judges' comments, too, huh??

Question: would you want info on items for high tech suspensions and upgrades like Total Control stuff, too?

Remember--you own the best Mustang Coupe ever made!!

Paul.

carvensno

Awsome idea Paul,i say yes to both ideas, both in the book and the website. i would be nice to referrence so if someone were to sell a car, they could refer back to the registry to see if it had been registered before, also maybe make a section in there for when someone sells or buys a car they can note it in the registry so paul could keep an update on the registered cars out there.

for instance the CS i had to sell in 1996 do to $$$ issues
VIN# 8R01J158056. in pauls first book,it is registered to my moms name Chris McKinney, but is now under new ownership since 1996. in fact there is the other CS that was White w/ black stripes that was under Chris McKinney also, that CS was sold also.

so paul could keep track of the VIN#'s, but then it would just be a matter of a ? to who the new owner is. but say that someone comes on here to say "hey i just bought a CS VIN#********** is this in the registry paul could refer to the VIN# then fill in the ? missing info.

Just an idea? ??? ;D

68gt390

Paul;
How about this for an option -- List all GT/CS cars on the website but, only those that are verified as a true GT/CS in the published version. Those verified through a "Marti Report", Ford "999" report or other form of authentic documentation. I think this would preserve the value of your first 2 books and would even make the new book a valuable asset since it will contain only "Verified" GT/CS cars. The verified "VIN" list from Kevin Marti could be used as your listing of cars to be put in the published version. That way it would let folks know the published version contains only true GT/CS cars. Plus, not to say what it would do for the value of that particular book. It's just a thought.

Don ;D 8)

Gandystang

Everyone has some great ideas.........

I would like to see a better break down of engine size, options and production changes thru the year. We know early cars had stamped rear qt. and later model year didn't. ( How many of each ? ) The same thing is true for fog lights. ( How many had to be recalled ) If options could be broken down, everyone one could see how rare their own car really is. With color , engine size and options everyone cars should be 1 of 100 ? worst case. This alone will bring more value and interest to our cars.

I would also like to know more about 6 cylinder cars. I think these cars are very over looked. As a owner of a two 6 cyl. cars, one 6cyl Auto and one 6cyl manual trans car, I know these car are more rare than the standard 289 cars.

It would also be neat to show what a typical Marti-report looks like for these car and go over points of interest, so when it's mentioned, people have an idea what one looks like and how to use it.

Paul, You have also hinted to other specific assembly technques and details that very few people are a aware of. Maybe you could give us one or two more teassers to think about, as each re-prints comes out...........

Thank you for all your hard work and love for these great cars and I wish all the best with your lastest new book.........

Ron

RacingFan

Super Paul! Thanks. Just some thoughts:

Obviously the GT/CS is a 1968 Coupe. It would be nice to have some concours information on the 68 in general, in addition to the GT/CS specific parts. At least concours info for the San Jose manufacturing plant. I think we are all getting pretty knowledgable on the california special aspect, thanks to you. Lets see what Ford has to offer us.

Second, perhaps a dealer option chapter that talks about what was available over the counter at the time, both as "official" options and those in the gray area, such as tach's and Shelby equipment. This could include the compasses, the trash containers, the Cobra badges, etc.

Thirdly, I think you brought up the point of modern technological mods to bring the cars back up to current performance standards. This could be its own chapter as well, talking about rack and pinion steering, vintage air conditioning (new), etc. It may not be something that everyone would be interested in doing, but I drive mine often, and don't mind adding some modern convienances to my driving expirience.

Thanks again for thinking about a new book. Can't wait! How else can we help?

dbeal

Paul, I also am excited that you are putting together another book! I would like to see the correct location of the holes for the GTCS badges, hood locks, and side scoops. Unfortunately the body shop that did my quarters didn't keep the old quarters to locate the holes..and my car didn't have a hood when I got it. Basically anything that was particular to this car I want to know about it so I can restore it correctly. :)

6t8-390gt

Paul,
If Kevin Marti is capable of providing ALL the VIN's for the CS and HCS, I would list all of the VIN's so one could authenticate their car. If any history is known on the car from a previous registry list the additional info. Also if multiple owners are known list it. If a car listed in a previous registry is discovered to be a fake, delete it from the update. Maybe Kevin could tell you what dealership sold the most, what was the highest optioned car, are there any "freaks" with weird or one off options, any special paint cars, how many. I would think he charges for that kind of information, so you would have to decide what to include.

I would also like to see more concourse restoration information about the cars. I have two San Jose GT's (not CS or HCS) and know for a fact that they were built different from the other plants (and different from MCA rules).

Restoration "secrets" would also be nice.

Thanks for considering updating the book and for allowing us the opportunity for input. Good Luck.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

WOW.

I am flattered to see this kind of reaction, and I thank everyone for their support and encouragement.

Off the top of my head, here is what I plan on doing for the GT/CS (HCS) book by next spring (Not in order):

History / Trivia, etc. (any new information)
(incl. Little Red and Green Hornet detailed info reproduced)
Options (factory & dealer)
Recognition /Authentication
Concours Judging Rules
Parts and Restoration
Diagrams & Parts Lists (& sources)
How to Upgrade to today's tech (Engine/ Suspension / Steering)
Registry & "percentages of options, colors, etc."
and..
Windshield Decal and Laser etched (plastic) dash plaque & steering wheel center.

(should I include '65-67 HCS, Ski Country Special and Gold Nugget Specials, too?)

As for the Registry--whether I include if cars are "real" by a Marti report (like an asterisk on the VIN#), solely depends on what Kevin would want to look over my list of car VIN's, and say yea or nay to them individually. I agree that this would be a good selling point of the book. I need to get with Kevin and discuss this first.

I have a zillion photos you've never seen, and I can share those, too.

I also have a feeling that this would be about a 100 page book. I think that since the '05 looks a lot like a '67-'68, this may add more fuel to value of the originals.

Also--I was reading in a "musclecar" mag last month how "fakes" are selling, since people want those cars--even if they aren't real. Frankly, that disgusts me, and to even admit that in a magazine like that only hurts the hobby--and those who really do care about authenticity. We really need to do something about these fake cars out there. Not to stop people from having fun, but from cheating buyers and sellers like this.

What do you think of this?

Thanks again, everyone, for your support!!
It's really gratifying to see your continued support and attention to my work (and for the values of the 1988 books on EBAY).

Paul M. Newitt
GT/CS Registrar
SAAC Member

carvensno

i agree paul, it's one thing to make a fake CS, because maybe the person cant afford a real one and doesnt try to pass it as a real CS, compared to the person that will make one and try to pass it off as real knowing that is a fake to make the money.

it is unfortunet that there are people out there that are suckers that dont do there homework and see a nice looking car with a couple a awards by it, and the owner will lie to there face and tell them ya it real.

well just my 2 cents. ;D

Mustanglvr

I made a big decision.

I'm finishing up a book (a 200 pg. model rr book), and ready to get back to doing a revised edition of the "GT/CS Recognition Guide & Owner's Manual", for spring 2005.

It's basically combining both the 1988 and the 1996 Guides and adding some new information.

I need to get your input as to what you would like to see in this book. I was thinking of some contemporary mods, and include some new photos that you've never seen. Should I include the registry--or have it listed on this website?

What would you like to see? I'm open to any new ideas.

Thanks!

Paul M. Newitt

Hey ya Paul! When do you think you would have that finished?:icon_bore

CALIF GIRL

Rhonda,

Paul does not post here any more. I would have thought someone who reads all the posts ever posted here would know that. If you really want to talk to him, and are not posting just to stir things up, go to SAAC forums. He is there, and so is info about the book.

Mustanglvr

Rhonda,

Paul does not post here any more. I would have thought someone who reads all the posts ever posted here would know that. If you really want to talk to him, and are not posting just to stir things up, go to SAAC forums. He is there, and so is info about the book.

Sorry CalifGirl, I don't own a Shelby,so I won't be going to that site anytime soon.:wink: But don't worry, he'll see it. Maybe he and everyone here needs to be stirred up a bit to the fact of just how long we've been waiting for this book of his/ours.

CALIF GIRL

Yeah right.

Stirring things up will not get the book published any faster.

HappyHour

Sorry CalifGirl, I don't own a Shelby,so I won't be going to that site anytime soon.:wink: But don't worry, he'll see it. Maybe he and everyone here needs to be stirred up a bit to the fact of just how long we've been waiting for this book of his/ours.

I agree...can we at least get a another delivery date for the Rec Guide? As a guest he cant post huh?

Thanks Mustanglvr for the reminder for those who have money out to him. I was pretty excited about that book when I was a newbie....way...back...in..the...day. :lipsseal: