• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Interior Paint Question

Gregpet

I'm using the attached '1968 interior trim schemes' chart to determine what color to paint the interior but I have a question...

My car has Parchment interior (2U) so according to the trim scheme Group 2 (looks like all of the metal painted surfaces) should be painted 'Light Parchment'. My concern is that the headliner, seats, wind lace, steering wheel, etc. all seem to be more of a 'Dark Parchment'.

I have already painted the rear quarter trim in Light Parchment and it contrasts with the headliner & seats (see picture). Before I paint the doors and instrument panel I wanted to check with the group and see if this seemed correct to everyone. Is it correct to have different shades of Parchment in the same interior?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Thanks!

Greg

Attachments

• Interior Trim Codes.jpg
    Interior Trim Codes.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Trim Color.jpg
    Trim Color.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
Gregpet

Gregpet

Thanks. Yeah, that is interesting. It does seem clear that the seats and windlace should match the paint. I just don't understand why all the Mustang shops are selling a paint called 'light parchment' because it clearly doesn't match the parchment interior. There is also a Dark Parchment which I'm guessing will be a better match...

GTCSMustang

And here's a 68 parchment interior on a car that my friend recently finished.

Scott

Attachments

• Picture223.jpg
    Picture223.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
Gregpet

Gregpet

I'm going to buy some 'Dark Parchment' from NPD and see if it matches better...

Does anyone have a thought on whether to buy Lacquer or SEM (NPD carries both)? According to NPD SEM is good for hard and flexible surfaces. If I'm just painting the metal parts is lacquer the way to go?

Thanks,
Greg

tomcwarren

I'll be interested to see how Dark Parchment matches up, Greg. I've got some dash/door metal scuffs to repaint on my interior (2U) and I agree that the Light Parchment looks too .. light.

Tom

franklinair

The paint color should match the upholstery color, making everything ONE color. Hope the dark parchment does the trick for you. if not, then you could have a paint mixed to match the upholstery. (I've had to do that with some interior reds.)

Neil

OP
OP
Gregpet

Gregpet

Just to update an old thread...

NPD no longer carries the dark parchment so I decided to have some paint mixed. I am attaching the formula that I ended up using if anyone is interested. I also figured out that you can use a Preval sprayer if you don't have a paint compressor setup. The Preval works surprisingly well. Its great for a weekend project.

Attachments

• SCAN0012.jpg
    SCAN0012.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 25