• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 rear seat sound deadener

dalorzo_f

Pulled the rear seat in prep for some paint work. Found fiberglass backed "tar paper", but die cut. Thought the original was jute backed.

Anyone know for sure which was used, late April build car.

Just curiosity as the old stuff is too far gone to save.

GTCSMustang

Not sure what you mean by "fiberglass backed", but the original material was brown paper on the top side and clear film other back side.

Scott

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Yellow fiberglass batting, like typical house insulation, but thinner... about 1/2" thick. With a hard brown paper top layer and a black asphalty/tarish layer then the fiberglass.

Have seen the "paper/asphalt or tar/clear film" in trunks on a few of my cars, and do not recall what was under the rear seat of them when I took the others apart... thus the question.

It's late here, I'll dig a piece out of the trash tomorrow and take a pic as its sitting right on top...

stangfan

My car has what appears to be the original piece under the rear seat and extending into the trunk. It is what I would describe as paper-backed asphalt. It feels slightly oily and smells like asphalt. I ordered the reprodution piece for over the gas tank and it is the same stuff.

whodat

I have it in mine as well. Put some Dynamat in it. You can get that off of Ebay.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Have the asphalt/jute backed lay-in type from NPD.

Not a fan of Dynamat and other stick-on stuff. Always wonder what someone will do down the track if some rust appears or some fix is needed. Taking that stuff off does not look like a fun job...