• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Passenger side door jamb switch

Tequila

I know this question may not pertain specifically to GT/CS, but wondering if anyone could tell me where I could find a passenger side metal door jamb switch. Searched everywhere and closest one is a GM part.

Also, is this the switch that controls the courtesy lights? if so, how does it differ from the plastic door jamb switch?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 34

Ruppstang

That is not a Ford part. Most likely part of a security system.
Marty

franklinair

Courtesy light switch: 1968, NPD P/N 13713-5C. $6.75
Connector NPD P/N 14489-1A. $3.75
Two wires into the connector. One is 12V, the other goes to the light. When you open the door, switch closes, putting 12V to the light.

Neil

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Thanks Neil and Marty. Appreciate the info.

The switch being part of the security system makes sense. Thanks!!!

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Hello, I have another related question.

I am adding a tilt away steering wheel column (original ford, but not original to my car) and wondering if someone could post a picture to see how far apart the holes should be for the courtesy light switch and the tilt wheel switch.

I was thinking of just enlarging the hole they cut out for the alarm switch but don't want to be too far away for the tilt wiring harness to reach the steering column. Appreciate any additional info you may be able to share. Thank you so much!!!!

Ruppstang

If you look at the jam the tilt switch hole is 1 1/4 inches below the center of the dome light switch. There is a factory dent in the jam where the tilt switch goes. I hope for you that the security switch used that spot.
May be I can get a picture if you need more help.
Marty

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Marty, Thank you so much for the helpful info. I do have another question. I was googling pictures and saw a picture where the tilt switch hole is lined up directly below the dome light switch. I also saw another case where the tilt switch is offset to the side. please refer to the pic attached. Which one is more correct? Sorry, don't mean to clutter up the site with too much non-CS specific qns.

Attachments

• 68shelby87308-3.jpg
    68shelby87308-3.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 40
  • ford-mustang-occasion-96250-6.jpg
    ford-mustang-occasion-96250-6.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 38
  • tilt swich 1.jpg
    tilt swich 1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 42

Ruppstang

It may have been miss placed. Did you find the factory dent? If so just center it there.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

hello,
I have another question related to my previous post. I am converting to deluxe interior and was planning on adding the door lights. Trying to figure out where would be the correct position to drill the hole for the wire feed, both on the door jamb and the door.
if anyone could share a picture of where to drill the hole that would great. Thank you.

Attachments

• gtcs door jamb.jpg
    gtcs door jamb.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 26

franklinair

The Deluxe Interior door lights work off the same circuit as the interior lights. It requires 2 additional harnesses (NPD P/N 13A769-2A, $35 ea) that go from the door jams to the doors. You should see a dimple on the doors and door jams where you drill a hole for the harness grommets.
The connectors should already be in the existing harness in the kick panel area. The specific wires are Black (Ground) and Black with a Blue stripe (12V when door is open), both with bullet connectors.
The option harness will also have speaker wires included.
This is not particularly a fun project, but doable.

Neil

Ruppstang

The Deluxe Interior door lights work off the same circuit as the interior lights. It requires 2 additional harnesses (NPD P/N 13A769-2A, $35 ea) that go from the door jams to the doors. You should see a dimple on the doors and door jams where you drill a hole for the harness grommets.
The connectors should already be in the existing harness in the kick panel area. The specific wires are Black (Ground) and Black with a Blue stripe (12V when door is open), both with bullet connectors.
The option harness will also have speaker wires included.
This is not particularly a fun project, but doable.

Neil

+1 Marty

J_Speegle

hello,
I have another question related to my previous post. I am converting to deluxe interior and was planning on adding the door lights. Trying to figure out where would be the correct position to drill the hole for the wire feed, both on the door jamb and the door.
if anyone could share a picture of where to drill the hole that would great. Thank you.

Not allot of San Jose examples - sorry for not finding one without the switch in place

6-041117192831.jpeg

The example you posted doesn't look factory. Don't recall ever seeing one cut for the tilt with "ears"

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Jeff,
Thanks for the follow up. Here is a picture of the door switch for the tilt harness that came with the unit that I purchased. We measured it and drilled the hole with the "ears" to match the switch. Perhaps I got the wrong switch?? Hope not.

Attachments

• tilt switch.jpg
    tilt switch.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 21