• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 '68 radio installation question ...

GT/CS S Code

Well, hopefully one of the "pros" on this site (maybe Neil or Ron or Marty?) can answer this one for me!
Up here in Canada we can get "collector plates" on older vehicles which allow us to insure the car for the entire year at a very much reduced cost. The vehicle must be basically "factory stock" or if modified in any way it must be with the use of period correct factory or aftermarket parts. I'm applying to get "collector plate" status for our GT/CS and ICBC (our Provincial auto insurance corporation) has no problem with our car other than the non-stock stereo which is currently in it. I need to swap it out for a stock '68 Ford radio and so I bought one from a member of our local Mustang club that has a part number of "8TPZ 345249" which decodes: 8=68, T=AM radio, P=Philco mfg. and Z=Mustang. The "345249" number that follows apparently denotes the "chassis" number for the radio and this is where my question comes in. After pulling apart the lower console and removing the stereo, this factory stock AM Ford Philco radio that SHOULD be correct for a '68 Mustang won't fit!
:confused:
The knobs appear to be about 3/4" too wide and will not fit through either the metal console backing plate or the black vinyl console pad. The faceplate and the tuner buttons on this radio are also too large to fit through the openings on either the metal plate or the console pad too. It has me thinking that maybe there was a different chassis number for the radio that was designed to fit into a lower console, and maybe the AM radio that I have is designed to fit into the upper dash plate? Hopefully someone a bit more experienced with these various Ford part numbers can shed some light on this one and tell me what radio part number (or chassis number?) I need to find that will fit into the lower console on our car ...?
Many thanks in advance!
Al

stangfan

If I may add to Al's post, we did compare the radio he purchased to the one in my car, which is a non-console GT/CS. As far as we could tell, the radio looks identical to mine, right down to the Philco branding.

dalorzo_f

Should be the same console or not. I added a 4 speed console to my C code/C4 (it fits over the auto shifter bezel quite well) and the radio pulled out of the non-console bezel and then right into the console...

Post pics.

TraveledGTCS

Hi Al

If you already don't have one, you will probably need the rear mounting bracket also shown on the same page which CougarCJ is reflecting the knobs. When I installed my center console it was missing the bracket so I had to get one for it. Luckly my mustang guy had the knobs and bracket. One of my Canadian friends also had his radio coverted to am/fm and adaptable for playing ipod and other plug ins. It was pricey though - I think around $400.00 C$ - four or five years ago. But he was glad he did it.

Hope to see you again if you are going to the International Mustang Meet which is going to be hosted by the GVMA in Vancouver next year (Labor Day weekend). I will be attending the one in Bozeman, MT, this year also.

Bill

franklinair

IIRC, '67 thru '73 radios should all fit the same holes, console or not. I assume you're referring to the knob shafts (not knobs). I've installed AM, AM/FM, AM/FM stereo radios in '68 Mustangs without ever having a fitment problem. Only differences were the knobs for a console application (longer to accommodate the console pad).
I have an AM/FM to install in the Aqua CS I bought from Arlie. When I get to 'work' tomorrow I'll measure the distance between the shafts and let you know. Also, I'll check my stash- I may have an AM if you want it.
The AM/FM's I've installed are not specifically '68 versions, (not concourse correct) but passable.

Neil

Attachments

• 083.jpg
    083.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 47

Northern Pony

Al;
I have had collector insurance on all of my mustangs, even the current cobra svt. I have never had a car looked at for being stock. Is that the only insurance you can get, provincial? We have lot's of carriers to chose from in Alberta, better move here.
BoB

68sunlitgold

Al,
you stated:
"The knobs appear to be about 3/4" too wide and will not fit through either the metal console backing plate or the black vinyl console pad. The faceplate and the tuner buttons on this radio are also too large to fit through the openings on either the metal plate or the console pad too."

If I am reading this right, you are trying to put the knobs and the faceplate 'through' the backing plate. They are NOT suppose to fit through the plate, only butt up to it. Has your console backing plate been cut or modified, many have to accomodate the newer radios. I have attached what the correct console backing plate should look like with the extended 'tabs' that the radio knobs butt up to and the second picture shows what many look like after they have been cut (please note the cut off one is a '67 plate). Note if you have the correct 'uncut' backing plate neither the knobs or faceplate go through the backing plate but just butt up to it.

The only thing you can do is purchase a new back...I have not been able to find a fix to this as of yet.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Attachments

• cut off2.jpg
    cut off2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 33
  • cut off.jpg
    cut off.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
OP
OP
GT/CS S Code

GT/CS S Code

Hmmmm ...

I'm pretty sure they are also adjustable.

The width of the radio shafts can be adjusted? Any suggestions on how we would go about doing that? That just might cure a bunch of the problem, plus we'll double check the backing plate to see if it has been altered or not in case that is part of the problem too.
Haven't had a chance to do anything about it yet since I've been laid low for about the past 10 days with a pinched sciatic nerve causing me a bunch of pain in my right leg. Can't even drive my truck with an automatic right now little lone the 4 speed "beast" and I'm hobbling around the house on a cane ...
:icon_bore

OP
OP
GT/CS S Code

GT/CS S Code

Another possibility too ...

I guess we'd better check the part number on the backing plate I have too just in case it's the wrong backing plate for the application? What is the correct factory Ford part number for the radio backing plate for a '68 Mustang console?

robert campbell

Al,
you stated:
"The knobs appear to be about 3/4" too wide and will not fit through either the metal console backing plate or the black vinyl console pad. The faceplate and the tuner buttons on this radio are also too large to fit through the openings on either the metal plate or the console pad too."

If I am reading this right, you are trying to put the knobs and the faceplate 'through' the backing plate. They are NOT suppose to fit through the plate, only butt up to it. Has your console backing plate been cut or modified, many have to accomodate the newer radios. I have attached what the correct console backing plate should look like with the extended 'tabs' that the radio knobs butt up to and the second picture shows what many look like after they have been cut (please note the cut off one is a '67 plate). Note if you have the correct 'uncut' backing plate neither the knobs or faceplate go through the backing plate but just butt up to it.

The only thing you can do is purchase a new back...I have not been able to find a fix to this as of yet.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Doug is right on, Simple said the radio is mounted to console face with no knobs on. There should be thin nuts on each shaft that sandwich the console face and allow you to tighten and secure the radio to the console face. You then slide the radio and console face in as one unit. Before you do that you install the back bracket to support the back of the radio in the console storage area.

After that is done you slide the radio and console face in. Ensure the center stud in the back of the radio is in the rear support hole. Snap on the padding and install the 4 screws (2 upper and 2 lower) that hold the console face to the dash and the console itself. Plug the wires in and irritate the crap out of your back putting the nut on the radio stud in the back!!

Last thing you do is put the knobs on! Of course you need the "deep" knobs that Scott recommended!! They are specific to a lower console with the padding.

Rob (I hate working under the dash) Campbell

OP
OP
GT/CS S Code

GT/CS S Code

The other thing that we were wondering about is if this is the correct metal mounting bracket? What is the correct part number for the metal mounting bracket we should be using in case this one has been modified and we need to replace it with a new one? I'd want to be sure that we got the right bracket for the application ...
Many thanks to all for their sage advice so far too!
Al

68sunlitgold

Al,
I hope this helps. It shows all the parts #s plus it shows how the back of the radio connects to both the dash and the console sides.

Note: The radio backing (actually called 'Panel Assembly' part #7) shows C8ZB-65045B44, however if you look at the above panel the # states C8ZB-6504567, this is the # (6504567) on my panels and I don't know where the discrepancy comes from)

(once the image is open, click on it and it will open larger)

Doug

Attachments

• Console parts.jpg
    Console parts.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 39
  • console parts #s.jpg
    console parts #s.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 38
  • console0001.jpg
    console0001.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Panel Assembly #.jpg
    Panel Assembly #.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
OP
OP
GT/CS S Code

GT/CS S Code

Found the problem today ...

OK ... problem now determined (but not quite yet corrected) ...
My mechanic buddy Chris just came over and took it all apart again for a much closer look. The mounting bracket is the correct part (C8ZB-6504567-A), but a PO did alter it after all! To fit a newer stereo they cut and shortened the two bezels that the radio shafts run through and fabricated two new bezels from aluminum and fitted them to the plate. Did a nice job too, since we didn't notice the alterations until a much closer inspection of the bracket ...
So now I just need an unaltered console bracket to replace this modified one plus an extended set of radio knobs and we'll be back to stock.
Thanks for all the photos, diagrams, part numbers and help everyone!
:cool:

OP
OP
GT/CS S Code

GT/CS S Code

Any spares out there?

OK, looks like this might be tougher than I thought! Apparently these radio console brackets are tough to find unaltered and they don't make a repro of that particular part, so if anyone has a spare they'd be willing to part with I definitely need one. I just checked eBay and there aren't any listed for sale on there right now, but I saved the "watch" just in case.
Sigh ...