• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Rubber hood bumper "jam" nut

murf104

Seeking information or better yet an image of the "jam" nut on the stud of the rubber bumper that the front of the hood rests upon. On our C.S cars the front fender bolt was replaced with a hood stop which was locked in place with this nut. The standard "half" nut that was used on these rubber bumper studs is too small to span the opening in the fender and I suspect that a flange nut was used on the C. S. production but am not certain. Any information and images are appreciated, along with a notation of the finish on whatever kind of jam nut is used on our California Specials. Thanks in advance!

dalorzo_f

Ref I have calls out

33922-S2 - Hex Nut - Jam (half height of regular Hex) 5/16-18 .180/.195 thk, 7/16" hex S2 = Phosphate and oil

Under that 44724 - Flat Washer -Standard - 5/16" .365/.385" ID, .875" OD, .064/.104 thk, no finish called out...

OP
OP
M

murf104

Richard, where in the world did you find that info? And secondly, what was used on your car? I have a flat washer on one side and a flange nut on the other and either or both look as if they may have been added at some time. I looked all over for a Ford drawing of what we should expect to see on a CS with no luck. Thanks for the help. I am curious what others find on their CS.

dalorzo_f

The part numbers are on a pic in the GTCS book, and I have a separate copy of the same Ford sketch from somewhere... "the reference library"! The details are from the AMK Guide to Ford Fasteners (a great reference and highly recommended for the restorer, in combination with the FAM's)

My car had been repainted and one fender replaced and to be honest I did not take a pic of that detail before it came apart. And it is still not back together...

Ruppstang

Ref I have calls out

33922-S2 - Hex Nut - Jam (half height of regular Hex) 5/16-18 .180/.195 thk, 7/16" hex S2 = Phosphate and oil

Under that 44724 - Flat Washer -Standard - 5/16" .365/.385" ID, .875" OD, .064/.104 thk, no finish called out...

I am reasonably sure that it was not a 7/16 nut. Ever one that I have ever seen are 1/2 which is the standard size for a 5/16 - 18 bolt. The only place on the car that I know of a 7/16 nut on a 5/16 bolt are the carb studs. I will have to have a look at that book Richard.

OP
OP
M

murf104

Looking as this is written at Paul Newitt's lastest publication. Page 35 bottom of the page under "HOOD PINS" and taken from the Ford "District Special Order (DSO) Delete-Add List". As follows ""44724-S2 - 2 each, Flat Washer - 5/16 (Att. Hood Bumper (16763) to Fender flange)"" > I think this means that the standard hood bumper found on every 68 Mustang was moved from the welded bracket on the core support to a location normally occupied by the front fender bolt, and in order to retain the fender flange a flat washer was added under the jam nut. NOW, for the 7/16 half nut - would someone with unmolested front fenders check on the size of the jam nut and report if it takes a 7/16 wrench or a 1/2 " wrench. I think that a standard 68 Mustang would also provide this information. Also what finish do you find on the nuts, washer and stud.

stangfan

My GT/CS came with some parts which the PO had replaced. I just checked the hood bumper nut that he had removed. The nut is a 1/2 inch and has "S" and what looks like "181" stamped into it. He had replaced both bumpers and nuts and I have to assume that they are the originals as the car has 50,000 mile on it.

dalorzo_f

Rechecked the AMK Guide, misread the wrong line, it is a 1/2".

And yes, the standard bumper was just relocated, the washer added to cover the larger hole in the fender than there would have been for the stock location on the raditaor support.