• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Brake Lights? HELP!

x-codegtcs

OK - I finally had the GTCS shipped out to North Carolina and we have been reunited. When they were unloading the car, I noticed one light bulbs not working on the brakes and the reverse lights did not come on. I thought maybe I forgot to put bulbs in the reverse lights, but they worked later when I took it for a spin.

I worked on the brake/turn signal light bulb today until it got dark and had fixed the problem. So when I was pulling into the garage, I tested the back up lights (i could see the reflection of the reverse lights on my truck) and then the brake lights went out - completely, no brake lights, no (red) driving lights - all other lights stayed on. I tried a lot of different sequences/combos with lights, reverse, no lights, brakes, etc and it seems that I can only replicate the problem when the lights are turned on. They go out, then after i release the brake for a few seconds, the driving lights come back on and I can press on the brake pedal and they come back. I am not sure that the reverse lights always need to be on to force the problem, BUT it seems to aggravate the problem.

ALL wiring is brand new AMP wire harnesses and the few custom harnesses from CoralSnake. All switches (head light, brake and reverse) are new.

I am thinking the light switch is faulty. Any suggestions where I should start and trouble shooting sequence?

Thanks! Bryce

dalorzo_f

IMO the most likely are switch or bad/poor ground or short.

Check around the pedal as I have seen issue there similar to those you note, intermittent issues aggravated/caused by wiring getting bumped around by the action of the pedal.

One of my two least favourite aspects of working on these cars:

1. electrical gremlins
2. anything under the dash

HTH
Unfortunately item 1 often involves item 2....

:rolleyes: