• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Marchal 656 info

TLEA

Hi all. Let me first introduce myself. My name is Tim and I'm sure some of you know me from the other forums. I do research and compile data on 68 Shelbys (currently own #1622 and restoring #1526) I am putting together a couple web pages for identifying and tech info on the coolest foglites ever, the Marchal 656. As I'm sure you know there were several wiring versions and different hardware used during their short lived installations on 68 Shelby/California Specials. I am looking for pictures of all components, particularly unrestored original wiring and hardware. I can be reached at
tlea7@cox.net
Thanks in advance,
Tim

case12

Tim, do a quick search using the search engine on this site and you will find some really good info. Several experts on the site when you have questions.

If you check out our Restoration Reference, Electrical, you will find a couple of the experts, and a place to start.

Casey

OP
OP
T

TLEA

I just spend a lot of time reading the posts here on Marchal lights and wiring. Seems to be a lot of questions/confusion. I would like to offer some data I've collected over the years. It was gathered as pertaining to 68 Shelby Marchal installations so some of it may or may not be relevant. Lastly I am not a know all expert, these are just items I've gathered and are my opinions.
First concerning 653 vs 656. There were several versions of the 653 and the latest 653/300 did not have 653 on the eyebrow. Marchal during the 67 calender year updated their numbering system. The latest version of the 653/300 became the 656/322 with no changes other than the way it was identified in Marchal's inventory. Many of the fall 67/ early 68 versions have the 653 ink stamp inside the housing but are identical to the 656 in every other way. Bear in mind these are the last run of 653s and are not to be confused with other 653 versions (stamped 653 eyebrow, different bulb holders etc) Concerning the 656 in the upper left corner of the lens, this was a later version which I don't believe was available till 69.
As far as the wiring I have seen 3 versions. First single wire that plugs directly into female side of stock fog harness plug, grounding was done through stud base. Second version is a 2 wire (from housing) that was connected to stock fog light extension via scotchlok connectors (white). The fog light extension then plugged into the stock foglight harness. (AO Smith was notorious for using white scotchloks) My hunch is they might have had a few grounding issues and this was how it was rectified but I have not come up with any TSB to support this theory. The third version has 2 wires from housing both male that plugged directly into the stock harness. The one male was converted to female by a brown double end connector. I have factory assembly drawings of this setup but I'm not sure it was used with the Marchals but definately was used with the Lucas. As I mentioned in my previous post I would love to obtain as many pics of original set up as possible. Hope this is helpful.
Tim

P

PNewitt

Hi Tim & Welcome!

Thanks for your info. There are a lot of owners who still have the (unrecalled) Marchal Lights.

I'll be including a lot of new info and photos of these lights in my new GT/CS book. I have a copy of the 23 Sept, 1966 issue of "Autocar" that had a review of the latest fog lamps, including the 656/322 Marchal. The Marchal was the brightest.

I guess the 322 version was out in mid to late 1966, as seen in this magazine.

Maybe you can answer a couple of questions:

--Do you have any examples of this light used on the Ford GT 40, Mk III (street version?)

--what type of bulbs, besides the 55 watt Philips IV, were used? I understand that an iodine bulb was used to make these lights extremely bright! Would you know what the brand/number was?

thanks!
Paul.

OP
OP
T

TLEA

Hi Paul,
I don't know of any GT 40 applications (but I've never looked either)
I show bulbs as 1282B or the H1
Tim

OP
OP
T

TLEA

PNewitt said:
I guess the 322 version was out in mid to late 1966, as seen in this magazine.
Paul.
I've got them back as far as March 66. I've got some original Marchal fitment instructions with that date printed on them in both English and French. Just to add to the discussion about 1/2 of the 656s I've seen in original boxes from 66 thru late 67 had 653/300 ink stamped inside the housings.
Tim

P

PNewitt

TLEA said:
I've got them back as far as March 66. I've got some original Marchal fitment instructions with that date printed on them in both English and French. Just to add to the discussion about 1/2 of the 656s I've seen in original boxes from 66 thru late 67 had 653/300 ink stamped inside the housings.
Tim

WOW. Great information! My guess is that if Shelby used them on the street version Ford GT, that it was a carryover for the '68 Shelby--and then the GT/CS. What about posting a photo of the original box?

thanks so much!

Paul N.

OP
OP
T

TLEA

PNewitt said:
WOW. Great information! My guess is that if Shelby used them on the street version Ford GT, that it was a carryover for the '68 Shelby--and then the GT/CS. What about posting a photo of the original box?

thanks so much!

Paul N.
Will do. The box is in my other shop and I'm going over next weekend.

gtcs1

As far as the 656 are concerned, do all the lense carried the IODE in the upper right hand side molded in )raised letters) . You mentionned that the 656 in the upper left would not be there for a 68 april date. This would be imprinted later. But what about the IODE.

Thanks

OP
OP
T

TLEA

gtcs1 said:
You mentionned that the 656 in the upper left would not be there for a 68 april date.

Thanks
I can't say for sure on the Cal specials but an April 68 Shelby would have most likely been Lucas equipped. Last date I've seen for a Marchal equipped car is 3/22/68 (very hard to verify as so many went in for recall) .The AO Smith assembly manual calls out the installation change dated 4/3/68 and there is a Ford TSB regarding Marchals dated 3/14/68