• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

car show blues

imported_tree

Well guys and gals. just finished my first car show of the year. did not get a sniff from the judges. lots of great conments for the car. lost out to a 1969 mach-1 and 69 camaro both done to the 10s.Met a lot of good car people,and a lot of people who have never seen a gt/cs. included are some photos of the show. have to get john to transfer then over to this thread. still cant srink these photos!!!!!!!!This show was very small only 70-80 car and trucks. had a great time and the next one is in the first week in june,200-300 vehicles.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Here are the photos. Sorry you didn't come away with a trophy, but looks like you had pretty decent competition. Good luck next time!

Attachments

• car show 001.jpg
    car show 001.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 37
  • car show 002.jpg
    car show 002.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 43
  • car show 003.jpg
    car show 003.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 36
  • car show 004.jpg
    car show 004.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 28
  • car show 005.jpg
    car show 005.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 26
  • car show 006.jpg
    car show 006.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 31

admin

Staff member
Administrator
And a few more:

Attachments

• car show 007.jpg
    car show 007.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 42
  • car show 008.jpg
    car show 008.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 30
  • car show 009.jpg
    car show 009.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
imported_tree

imported_tree

Thanks again jon for the help to post these photos. sooner or later i will learn how to operate this computer. terry..p/s the red camaro in the picture cost my friend 0ver $47.000.00 to restore from the ground up.

PFSlim

I agree. You have a very nice car. And, as stated before, who knows what the judges are thinking. At some shows, they don't even look at the car and the next one you go to, it will win best of show. Keep your head up and keep showing the car!!

Paul

rvrtrash

I agree on the judges and will give you two examples. I went to one show where everyone was going nuts over my car. The car next to me was a plain jane camaro that people were just glancing at. The judge got up at the awards ceremony and announced that he really liked black cars and the only car in "X" class that was black was the '69 Camaro so he won. Just went to a show two weekends ago and the two judges were skipping all the cars except the chevy's, not even looking at them. In my area, that sort of thing is real common, which is why I don't bother hitting very many shows.
Steve

Mustanglvr

The area I live in, the judges are partial to the "Pillars of the Community" type people who have cars in the shows.

PFSlim

Rhonda and Steve are exactly right. Let me provide two or three more examples:

Last year, we went to two different shows. Our car had scored 2nd's and 1st's at every car show. At both of these shows, the crowd had gathered around the car. One was participant judged. In that one, we did not even take 3rd place. Found out later that the local club took 1st/2nd/3rd in each year catagory. Since my club was not a local club, it did not place. I could not explain it since I was sure folks voted for my car for as much looking and talking they did about it.

In the other show, there were about 25 cars in our class. They were giving out 1st/2nd/3rd trophies. I felt like we were in the money as far as the cars that were there. My son and I stayed next to the car all day. The show had judges and never did we see one judge come by and look at the car. We did not place. The 1st place went to a 69 that really needed work but was the son of the man who donates all the money to put on the show. 2nd was a pretty nice car. 3rd place went to a older Midget that was dripping old so bad in and around the motor that the car was on fire when they shut the thing off. No body work at all.

Then, the next show we go to we win "Best of Show".

I believe you have to go to each show to tell the story about your car. I take the car to shows to let my 12 year old son enjoy the glory of the car. If we place, great. If we don't, we still had an experience together that he feels like the car was his - if only for a few hours.

Paul

68gt390

Before I even started showing my CS, a friend of mine made a simple quote to me that has always stayed with me - "If you show the car for trophies and plaques only, you will die a thousand deaths". Besides, I look at it this way - I don't need someone to give me a plaque or trophy to tell me what I have, I already know. The important thing is that you enjoy the car and keep showing it.

Don :grin:

PFSlim

68gt390 said:
Before I even started showing my CS, a friend of mine made a simple quote to me that has always stayed with me - "If you show the car for trophies and plaques only, you will die a thousand deaths". Besides, I look at it this way - I don't need someone to give me a plaque or trophy to tell me what I have, I already know. The important thing is that you enjoy the car and keep showing it.

Don :grin:

Agreed!! That is the best I have heard!!

Paul

390cs68rcode

Besides, I look at it this way - I don't need someone to give me a plaque or trophy to tell me what I have, I already know.

I came to this conclusion recently. I have been put off on local car shows because of the irregularities in judging.

I know what I have and what kind of shape it is in.

BroadwayBlue

I agree with you guys as well.

I never go expecting anything. When I get something I'm pleasantly surprised.But the awards are not what it's about for me. It's the enjoyment of driving the car there, talking to people about the CS, checking out the other cars and getting to meet new people or talk with some of the same folks.

My nephew who is 9 came to some cruises where there was a popular vote trophy where you voted for your top 3 cars - he kept saying to me, aren't you going to vote for your car? I explained to him that wasn't the way you should do it - you don't vote for yourself and stuff the ballot you vote for the cars you like best.

I joined a local Mustang Club and they are putting on a Participant Judged show in July. Club members are not allowed to vote. Of course if someone wanted to be corrupt and miscount the votes, that's another story. These guys don't seem that way at all. In past shows I would go to with my VW you weren't allowed to vote in your class for participant judging ... you would get a few other classes to vote on.

There were times with my VW I almost felt guilty winning, but I think it was all part of not expecting anything and enjoying the whole experience.

I refuse to let the politics get to me. So far it's working ... when it isn't I don't think I'll enjoy attending the shows.

CJ

The only reason why I show our GT/CS is for my son's since they are the one's that prodded me to get it "show ready". This gives my wife and I quality time with both of them or individually since they are busy with their own lives. Prior to showing our GT/CS we would always go to a couple of large car shows together, now they enjoy talking about our GT/CS to others and get to view the other show cars as well. It doesn't matter to me who judges my car. We displayed our GT/CS at 2 shows last year which was judged by spectators. This year we have participated in 3, receiving a plaque for Best Stock Ford in the third show, which was peer judged. Plus the $20 or $30 entry fee goes to some worthy charity. The majority of car clubs or cities that put on car shows around here make it fun for the whole family, stuff for kids, Bar-BQ's, all kinds of vendors. We always stay to see who win's in the various classes and how many winners we picked. We are looking forward to several more coming up.

CJ