• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Vacuum Canister for A/C + Tilt Steering

Tequila

Hi,
My 68 GT/CS has factory Air Conditioning and therefore it came with a Vacuum canister inside the right fender. I am also in the process of adding an original Tilt Wheel steering column. The tilt column also requires a vacuum canister and I was wondering if I should add a second canister to the driver side fender. Or would I be able to tap in to the canister for the A/C.

Thanks

Mosesatm

According to the vacuum diagrams they seem to be separate. AC is near the firewall and Tilt is under the battery tray?

Attachments

• 68 Vacuum.jpg
    68 Vacuum.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 42
  • V3.jpg
    V3.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 45

robert campbell

Bob Wolfe in Bremerton at (360) 377-0450 is an expert on the factory tilt wheel set up. Give him a call and mention my name and he will be sure to double the price. Just kidding. A great guy and an experienced Mustang and Shelby restorer!! He has done numerous restorations for clients across the country. Yet he is still very reasonable in cost.

Rob

OP
OP
T

Tequila

According to the vacuum diagrams they seem to be separate. AC is near the firewall and Tilt is under the battery tray?

Interesting. I never thought it would be under the battery tray. Makes sense with the close proximity to the vacuum lines for the AC. Thanks for the diagram.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Bob Wolfe in Bremerton at (360) 377-0450 is an expert on the factory tilt wheel set up. Give him a call and mention my name and he will be sure to double the price. Just kidding. A great guy and an experienced Mustang and Shelby restorer!! He has done numerous restorations for clients across the country. Yet he is still very reasonable in cost.

Rob

Thanks Rob. I spoke to Bob a few days ago regarding another matter. I should have asked him about the tilt wheel. He's a great guy and I am sure he will be able to help. Wish my car was running so I could drive it over there.

dalorzo_f

"Useless"... hmmm.... kinda harsh.

I have a copy and while it does not show the specifics of the '68 canister (if it just had details on that would it be "useful"?) it has been very helpful for me in assessing adding a tilt system to the EXP repli-bute....

OP
OP
T

Tequila

"Useless"... hmmm.... kinda harsh.

I have a copy and while it does not show the specifics of the '68 canister (if it just had details on that would it be "useful"?) it has been very helpful for me in assessing adding a tilt system to the EXP repli-bute....

I know.. I was too judgmental based on my frustration with not finding the answer I was looking for. I was expecting the book to be more detailed than it is. I do admit, it is a good reference document, especially for troubleshooting. To me, pictures are way more helpful than a write-up. I hope I didn't offend anyone by my poor choice of words. Sorry.

Mosesatm

Ha, that didn't even begin to register on the Offensive Meter!
You should have seen some of the epic battles we had in the old days!!!

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Ha, that didn't even begin to register on the Offensive Meter!
You should have seen some of the epic battles we had in the old days!!!

Thanks!!! I appreciate Dalorzo's feedback. He's really cool and he's been super helpful to me in the past with some of my questions.

Ruppstang

The 67 tilt can does indeed mount under the battery tray on a bracket, while the 68 mounts through the fender apron as pictured.
Marty

dalorzo_f

I'm thinking as long as its that far forward of looking into a bracket on the rad support and hanging it there. Keeps it out of the wheel well and away from road debris....

.... and thanks for the kind words.