• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

2007+ question: GT/CS CHAMP Pace Cars

P

PNewitt

I hit a block with my research for the book, as I'm doing a page devoted to the CHAMP CAR series pace cars.

In 2006, they made a few modified GT Mustangs, painted them special PPG colors, added GT/CS stripes and ran them.

I need to know who knows a lot about the CHAMP CAR series (is it no longer, because of IRL?), and what these cars do? Are they there to get Formula 1 Cars on and off the track?

And info and web references would be appreciated. I am interviewing one of the women drivers for the book soon.

Thanks!

Paul.
p.s. I DO have photos of a GT/CS in the registry seen at the Long Beach Grand Prix event as part of the promotion.

Mustanger

Is this one of the pic's you have? ...

Attachments

• '07CSblackwslvr.jpg
    '07CSblackwslvr.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Yes! That is one of the photos.

Is that yours? Or where is it from?

I'm supposed to interview one of the ladies (tomorrow) that drove those cars at the Formula 1 Events.

This is GT/CS racing as good as it gets (not to exclude David's dragster)!!

Note the white stripe on the pre-production 2006 'stang. They wanted to do white stripes from the beginning, but it just didn't happen until 2009.

thanks!!
Paul.

Mustanger

Yes! That is one of the photos.

Is that yours? Or where is it from?

I'm supposed to interview one of the ladies (tomorrow) that drove those cars at the Formula 1 Events.

This is GT/CS racing as good as it gets (not to exclude David's dragster)!!

Note the white stripe on the pre-production 2006 'stang. They wanted to do white stripes from the beginning, but it just didn't happen until 2009.

thanks!!
Paul.

No, it's not mine, but I had this pic saved from way back ... I guess from '06!!! I also have pics of 2 other different GT/CSs (silver) from the '06 LB Gran Pix ... if you're interested, let me know and I can post them ...

Mustanger

Well, here they are ... I have another pic somewhere that shows the side view of the silver Mustang, and it has the side scoop and GT/CS side stripe ...

Attachments

• GTCS LB Gran Prix '06 1.JPG
    GTCS LB Gran Prix '06 1.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 38
  • GTCS LB Gran Prix '06 2.JPG
    GTCS LB Gran Prix '06 2.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
P

PNewitt

I spoke with Gail Truess, who was one of five ladies that drove the GT/CS CHAMP CAR vehicles for the Formula 1 series in 2006.

She has passed on contact info of the builder of these cars, as well as the head of Ford Racing at that time--people I'll be talking with.

I'll include some of the items they modified on the three GT/CSs (one conv., two coupes), so owners can consider setting up their street CS to some of those pace car specs.

Neat, huh?

Paul N.

franklinair

Well, here goes my display of ignorance:

What the heck is a CHAMP CAR series pace car??
GT/CS markings in 2006?? I thought the new generation came out in '07.

Forgive me, I've led a sheltered life:embarass:

Neil

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

Well, here goes my display of ignorance:

What the heck is a CHAMP CAR series pace car??
GT/CS markings in 2006?? I thought the new generation came out in '07.

Forgive me, I've led a sheltered life:embarass:

Neil

That's OK, Neil. I didn't know much about the CHAMP cars either until recently. In fact, CHAMP has merged with IRL to be a new group, that race the Formula 1 cars across the country.

The 2006 GT/CS CHAMP cars were the first time anywhere the late model GT/CS was shown off. It was a clever way for the design team at Ford to show off the upcoming CS package. The folks building the CHAMP cars at Ford "just happened" to cross paths with the head of the GT/CS program, and, well, the rest is history.

I'll include notes of how they built those cars, and I'll include a chart to show what you'd need to add to build up your CS to the status of a CHAMP pace car, Shelby GT-H (Hertz), Shelby GT, and perhaps a GT-500.

I want the late model GT/CS to be out there to compete with the best! I'm listing part numbers, etc.

The late model folks deserve the best (but this is not a major distraction from the completion of the rest of the book).

Thanks!
Paul.

franklinair

Oh. I haven't followed that type racing since Juan Fangio retired.

Neil:wink:

PTRocks

I presume Paul will have this info already, but for the rest of you folks:

The Champ Car Fast Lap pace car program was a promotional tool used by Ford to give sponsors and some lucky fans a chance to be driven at speed around the race track at each of the race events. This program was an evolution of the PPG Pace Cars back in the heyday of Indy. The cars were all driven by women racers.

One of the GT/CS pace cars (a 2006 purple convertible with white side stripes) recently went back on the auction block just last week. linky

It didn't have the GT/CS interior though.

Attachments

• SC0509-80381_1.jpg
    SC0509-80381_1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 35
  • SC0509-80381_2.jpg
    SC0509-80381_2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 30
  • SC0509-80381_3.jpg
    SC0509-80381_3.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 26
  • SC0509-80381_5.jpg
    SC0509-80381_5.jpg