• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Windshield Woes

case12

OK - so I got points taken off at the MCA show in Springfield for having a chip in my windshield (way down at the bottom center about an inch above the bottom of the glass - looks just like a 'BB" hit it if you know what that looks like). I never noticed it much, and hoped they would overlook it - they didnt.

So, I decide to have Safelite come out and fix it. No big problem I say to myself - I have done this 2 times before with my '55 Chevy - so it can be done easily. But, yesterday they screwed up and it now looks worse - instead of a clear chip, it is now a chip with haze about the size of a pea.

Anybody have this happen before? They said once the epoxy cures, there is nothing else to do but buy a new windshield. Carlite windshields are hard to find - but I found them for $220 not including shipping or install - a chunk of $ just to deal with a chip.

Anyone have trouble with window repair before? This was my first problem, and they were surprised it didnt work. Now it is too late to fix, but it is the original windshield.

Casey

franklinair

If it were my car, and as nice as yours is, I would have a new Carlite installed. Nothing lasts forever. :-(
Neil Hoppe

RedGTvert

If it were my car, and as nice as yours is, I would have a new Carlite installed. Nothing lasts forever. :-(
Neil Hoppe

I agree. If you want to compete on that level, sometime you have to bite the bullet and go with the new glass.

rvrtrash

I believe the new Carlites have different markings than the originals though. You may want to check into that before you drop the money, and see if that makes a difference in the judging and if so, how much. If they deduct the same points, I'd just stay with the original.

Steve

mmarsalone

Casey,

I just read in Mustang Monthly and article about replacing windsheilds. There's a place that have put the original logo and date codes on for you. You have to tell them where you want the logos and if I recall, it was a bit pricey.

franklinair

MCA Judging Rules, 1967, 1968: Concourse trailered/driven. Page 4 "Windshield must be Carlite glass-script or block." (4 points) The rule does not specify logo and/or date code. Jeff Speegle may be able to confirm. Hope this helps.
Neil Hoppe

P

PNewitt

As a side note--and to not throw a wrench into this, but...

'68 windshields are different that '67 windshields. Looking on it on edge, the '68's "bow" out near the top more than the '65-67 versions (which are too straight).

I've never seen '68-only windshields, and most dealers and vendors won't tell you that. A real concours person might consider looking for salvage '68 windshields, that can be buffed out.

I just wonder if the Carlite folks that are making the repro glass know (or care about ) that <??>.

If anyone out there has an '68 original windshield, please keep it, and preserve it. Mine has original glass, even though it looks like it got sandblasted! LOL!

As for Casey--I'm sure that the (resin) haze can be buffed out. It just takes some patience. I think I just read that Eastwood makes a buffing compound for windshields.

Paul.

Mosesatm

I'm confused. Since the '67 and '68 body shells are identical why would the windshields be different?

P

PNewitt

I'm confused. Since the '67 and '68 body shells are identical why would the windshields be different?

It was just a subtle design feature for '68, just like how the grille, and side scoops (stock) were different than '67.

I don't know to say, but the '69's windshields may also be "bowed" at the top, too. This may have been a transition to '69 in that way.

Paul N.

Mosesatm

Are we talking about a major difference that can be seen is it a miniscule difference?

Could it be instead that the '67s and '68s have different part numbers because the '68s had brackets attached to them? 1968 was the 1st year for the glued-on mirror.

Did '68 Ford replacement windshields come with the bracket attached?

Could they have both differences, curved more AND a bracket?