• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Question about 1966 Timberline Green Paint.

1966hcs

Hi guys, I bought my 1966 Timberline Green coupe a little over a year ago, and I’ve been gradually restoring it to its original glory since. Now it is time to think about the painting of the HCS. I am having trouble having the Timberline Green color mixed at the Dupont and PPG shops. I have the Ford and the Dupont codes for the color, but as I’m in Europe the paint systems are not the same as in the US and they are having trouble finding the correct mix. Can anyone of you that have painted their Timberline Green HCS´s recently give me a feedback on your experience when it came to having the color mixed?

66 Dearborn HCS

Do you have any portion of the vehicle that still has good original paint on it (quarter extension/headlight trim ring)? If you do, then buff it out so it looks good and all oxidization removed. The paint shop should have an opticla analyzer which can match the paint perfectly. It might cost a little more for them to do it, but then you'll be assured of a perfect match.

OP
OP

1966hcs

Do you have any portion of the vehicle that still has good original paint on it (quarter extension/headlight trim ring)?

Unfortunately the car was painted in the eighties in a different shade of green (you can’t tell from the pictures that it is not Timberline Green). When you open the doors the color difference becomes evident.

As for having the color analyzed optically, is really not an option as only Dupont has an analyzer and they say it is not accurate enough to differentiate rare and hard to mix shades. The only other option is to send a part of the car to Europe and have them analyze it in a more precise analyzer, but I don’t have a part in the correct shade to send.

What I was hoping to hear are your stories telling me how easy it is to walk into a Dupont or PPG service center in the US and having them mix the color while you wait, but maybe that is not possible?? ???

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=1966hcs link=board=1;threadid=718;start=0#msg3922 date=1071166765]
What I was hoping to hear are your stories telling me how easy it is to walk into a Dupont or PPG service center in the US and having them mix the color while you wait, but maybe that is not possible?? ???

Yes, yes, yes you can. I thought you only had access to paint shops in Europe. From what I've heard though, PPG can't make it as some of the tints they need are obsolete, but I know that Dupont can mix it as it was their color anyway. Take the paint mix code and they can do it. I bought a pint just so I could paint a Revell model the same color (don't ask, it was a disaster). [/quote]

OP
OP

1966hcs

[quote author=66 Dearborn HCS link=board=1;threadid=718;start=0#msg3933 date=1071226558]

Yes, yes, yes you can. I thought you only had access to paint shops in Europe.
[/quote]

Well I have friends and acquaintances going to the US all the time so I can get someone to pick it up for me. As for the Revell model you painted I assume you were trying to make a 1966 HCS in Timberline Green?

66 Dearborn HCS

[quote author=1966hcs link=board=1;threadid=718;start=0#msg3938 date=1071243979]
[quote author=66 Dearborn HCS link=board=1;threadid=718;start=0#msg3933 date=1071226558]

Yes, yes, yes you can. I thought you only had access to paint shops in Europe.
[/quote]

Well I have friends and acquaintances going to the US all the time so I can get someone to pick it up for me. As for the Revell model you painted I assume you were trying to make a 1966 HCS in Timberline Green?
[/quote]

Yeah, I didn't know about hardener back then, :-X
It was a slimy mess that melted before my eyes because the paint ate the styrene. :'(
I didn't know WHAT I was doing. But it sounded like a cool idea at the time. ;D

I'm wondering if there will be an issue transporting chemicals (paint) internationally though? I'm assuming this would be by plane? I'd look into whether you can legally get it done or not.

OP
OP

1966hcs

[quote author=66 Dearborn HCS link=board=1;threadid=718;start=0#msg3944 date=1071286703]

It was a slimy mess that melted before my eyes because the paint ate the styrene. :'(
I didn't know WHAT I was doing. But it sounded like a cool idea at the time. ;D
[/quote]
I know what you mean, I've been there (Revell and Monogram cars and planes).

[quote author=66 Dearborn HCS link=board=1;threadid=718;start=0#msg3944 date=1071286703]
I'm wondering if there will be an issue transporting chemicals (paint) internationally though? I'm assuming this would be by plane? I'd look into whether you can legally get it done or not.
[/quote]
Well I hadn’t thought so far ahead, but Air transport is probably out of the picture. I’m an old sea dog, used to sail to Norfolk VA. and Boston MA, on freighters in the 70´s and 80´s and I still have contacts at the shipping company. I will probably have to renew my acquaintances there.