• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

How Much To Get Fiberglass Installed?

shifty101easy

hey, im wondering how much you think it would cost to get my fiberglass trunk, tail panel, quarter extensions installed and fitted? im 18 and dont have a ton of money at the moment since i just spent it all on the GT/CS parts for my 68 coupe....i think i have something like $1200 left over...do you think it could be done? no paint or anything, just put on the car so i can drive it and stuff...

rvrtrash

If you're close to North Idaho, and you want to learn how to do it yourself, I'll help you for free. If you go to a shop, they'll charge you by the hour and you can get an estimate on what they think it'll take, but I would guess around 4-$500.00 depending on how well the parts line up and what their shop rate is.

Steve

OP
OP
S

shifty101easy

id love to do it my self with some help but im in san francisco, ca. not too close.

thats a price i was looking for....a shop real close to me quoted a full paint job at $3500 a while back so that sounds about right....the stuff fits fairly good...i should probably order the weather stripping before i bring it down there though huh?

rvrtrash

You'll want them to fit the trunk lid with the weatherstrip on the car, then take the weatherstrip back off to paint and then reinstall.

Steve

OP
OP
S

shifty101easy

so like the tail panel dosent seem to go up all the way flush and i cant get anything else working until that is. it has built in tail light buckets, and i was told i wouldnt need to cut the panel but ithink im going to have to....the metal panel that is....i know thats how the original GT/CS's were done...do u think i should cut it? im afraid of sparks around the gas tank area....

rvrtrash

Without seeing it in person it's hard to be 100% positive, but I would guess you'll have to cut holes in the metal tail light panel to get the fiberglass one to fit. If you buy a hole saw of the appropriate size for an electric drill you won't create any sparks, and it makes a nice, clean cut. For a little added piece of mind, drape a wet towel over the gas cap to keep fumes away from the electric drill motor.

Steve