• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Fuel Gauge Sending Unit Lock Ring

patnpat

I am replacing the fuel gauge sending unit on our GT/CS and have a question on tightening the lock ring. I first hand tightened the lock ring in place. I then used a large screwdriver and hammer to further tighten (some pretty powerful blows).

The “ears” on the gas tank are only about ½ way up the “ramps” on the lock ring (see pictures). I am concerned that the ring could vibrate loose over time. I hesitate to tighten any more as I do not want to break the ears off the tank.

I am used to lock rings that tighten down and then “pop” in place and lock at the top of the "ramp". I have looked online for examples, and from what I have seen I think I am OK. Just don’t want to fill with gas and then leave it all on the street!

Thanks, Pat

Attachments

• mustang fuel sending unit.jpg
    mustang fuel sending unit.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 22
  • mustang fuel sending unit1.JPG
    mustang fuel sending unit1.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 17

franklinair

Are you SURE the 'O' ring is in it's groove? (I had trouble with this, working upside down.)
When all was in place I was able to use a long screwdriver wedged between two of the lockring ears, and twist the lockring fully against the stops.

Neil

OP
OP
P

patnpat

Hi Neil:

Yes, the "O" ring is in place. I used a little grease to hold it in place (per supplier recs). I first set the lock ring by hand, then removed the sending unit. the "O" ring stayed in place, then proceeded to re-install and lock it down.

Pat

CougarCJ

I use a brass drift for removing and installing the locking ring (no chance of spark).