• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Spark plug wires

p51

Who makes the best spark plug wiring kits in terms of heat insulation? Are there "insulation jackets" that I can put on the boots/wires? Where is a good place to buy (either retail store or web)?

I've got shorty headers on my GT/CS and I noticed that every once in a while I get a wiff of hot rubber. When I touch a couple of the spark plug wires they are damn hot, the heat coming from close-by header tubes. The wires have angled boots (non-90 degree) to clear the header tubes and its a standard buy-em-at-Kragens spark plug wiring kit. There is no visible sign of damage to the wires/boots but I have noticed recently that my *cold* idle *seems* a bit more rough (it smooths out when the engine warms up). Any *simple* diagnostics I can run to check to seee if its a problem with the spark plug wiring?

Thanks

James

68gt390

James;
Check Summit Racing or Jegs catalogue. They both carry heat boots for your plug wires. That's were I got mine for my 5.0 that had the same problem. I would also think just about any parts store would carry them as well. You can also get them in a variety of colors.

Don :grin:

OP
OP
p51

p51

68gt390 said:
James;
Check Summit Racing or Jegs catalogue. They both carry heat boots for your plug wires. That's were I got mine for my 5.0 that had the same problem. I would also think just about any parts store would carry them as well. You can also get them in a variety of colors.

Don :grin:
Don

Thanks for the info. Found what I needed @Summit Racing - Taylor plug wiring with Taylor thermal insulators for the two "problem" wires that are really close to the header tubes. Seems like it was the best price as well.

James