• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Rims on gt/cs

mbsf1970

I am looking at a red gtcs with black vinyl roof and black striping. Seller sent 1 photo to start with and it shows the rims on car as being the Shelby style rims and not the standard steel rims with center caps.....did the gtcs ever come with these from factory? Also, is there any way to tell if the car was actually a gt?

I'll give mor details about how car is equipped when I get them and you experts can advise on price....thanks,
Stephen

RU_SPCL2

No - Shelby 10-spoke wheels were not a factory option for the GT/CS.

The available wheel types were standard steel (painted body color) with hubcaps, optional steel (painted body color) with wire wheel covers (red center), or optional styled steel wheels in either chrome or argent with plain centers.

The GT Equipment Group was an available option only on 302, 390 and 428 engine-equipped cars. Where the GT Equipment Group parts conflicted with GT/CS parts, the GT/CS part took precedence. I believe that a Marti Report will indicate whether this option was original to a particular car. You can rule it out if the car is either a T-code or C-code.

dalorzo_f

Sure about the body color on standard rims w/hubcaps? Most I've seen were black...

As noted get a Marti report to verify, it will list all factory options.

Shelby rims "could" have been dealer provided (anecdotal evidence I have seen indicates they were even hard to get from a dealer in '68) , but doubtful from the factory.

As even on the Shelby's the 10 spokes did not come from Ford, but the assembly plant in Ionia. And... only 3 Shelby's have been documented to get the 10 spoke "Shelby" rims from the factory, the norm was a black set of 15x6 inch wheels and a box of hubcaps in the trunk.

RU_SPCL2

"Sure about the body color on standard rims w/hubcaps? Most I've seen were black..."

Not 100% certain across the board, but I can say for certain that the original steel wheels on my car (which was ordered with the wire wheel cover option) are painted body color.

Perhaps one of the concours experts can weigh in here to clarify things.

GTCSMustang

Cars with full wheel covers had black painted wheels. Maybe yours slipped through, but the vast majority were black unless they got the small hubcap.

Scott

Attachments

• Phoenis_Coupe_Pickup_and_some_detail_photos_008.jpg
    Phoenis_Coupe_Pickup_and_some_detail_photos_008.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 41

Ruppstang

Scott you are correct in that only the Standard dog dish hub caps had body color on the rims. Full wheel cover had black rims. It was common for cars to be ordered with the standard dog dish covers but at the time of sale or shortly after to have them switched to full covers. Marty