• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Fuel Injection for Old Fords

robert campbell

I subscribe to Hot Rod magazine and the latest issue has a huge article on electronic fuel injection (EFI) for aftermarket applications. Everything from Weber “lookalike” EFI to a carb application from Retrotek. I am extremely interested in the carb offering from Retrotek. Looks very similar to a Demon carb and the installation is very simple. Full closed loop system without the need for a fuel return line. I want to “blow” through this carb with a Paxton supercharger. Tuning an engine with a normal carb to run with a supercharger is tedious at best. Dyno is the best way to go, but a normal carb will never meet the efficiency of modern fuel injection.

http://www.retrotekspeed.com/

The article in Hot Rod tests the Retrotek system on a 67 Ranchero with a 351 Windsor engine and C4 automatic. Modest increases were gained in HP and torque, but drivability and mileage was significantly increased. The system self learns itself as you drive. When coupled with an MSD, EFI compatible, distributor even more increases occur. They installed this EFI in 5 hours including a lunch break!

I plan to purchase the EFI first and do a comparison with the 302 in my GT/CS. First without the supercharger and then with. Mostly for mileage. I get 13 MPG around town now. This is with a Holley Street Avenger 670 CFM that is more about power than economy.

Time for this old dinosaur to step up his Mustang to the modern world of EFI. It will burn $2k and take a long time if never to reach payback. But the power and drivability should be awesome. Finally an easy to install self leaning EFI system.

Rob

rvrtrash

Not to be a wet blanket, but did you build the bottom end for supercharger use, i.e. pistons, compression, rods, crank, cam?

Steve

RedGTvert

Not to be a wet blanket, but did you build the bottom end for supercharger use, i.e. pistons, compression, rods, crank, cam?

Steve

Depends on the SC and boost amount. If it is low boost, does not need a built bottom end.

rvrtrash

I always thought you needed forged pistons of 9.0/1 or less, at the very least, or your engine would not survive. I built my engine with 9.5/1 hypereutetic's and then decided I wanted to supercharge and it was recommended against. I believe I contacted both Paxton and Vortech. If I'm wrong, let me know because I'd look at it again.

Steve

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Steve,
I agree that it should be a purpose built engine. I ran a Paxton on a basically stock 289, 10 to 1 compression motor in the 70’s. Always was waiting for a rod to jump out of the pan! I had 9 pounds of boost at 6,000 rpm. I felt it was a bit much for that motor. Had to o-ring the heads. Kept blowing head gaskets. After the o-rings were installed it ran great.

My engine is a Mexican 302 block. Forge steel SCAT crank. Crower sportsman connection rods. Aries forged pistons. 10 to 1 compression. Edelbrock performer RPM heads and intake. Crane retrofit roller hydraulic cam and crane roller rockers.

She was built for this final end!! Can’t wait! I am running JBS shorties and will more than likely go to full length headers. Recently put in hardened AOD transmission with 2500 stall. Also just put in the 3.70 nine inch four pinion trac lock with 31 spline superior axles.

Will go fuel injection with MSD EFI distributer first, and then to the Paxton. Yaaa Babbeee.

All the parts are there except for connecting the sub frame and traction bars. Battery in the trunk and 90/10 front shocks.

Remember I recently sold my 428 Cobra Jet that I thought about landing in the GT/CS. This is my answer to the engine I sold.

Steve, I think you could Paxton your engine. If you do not beat it hard it will be fine. I would go with the lower boost (7.5 pounds of boost at 5,500). You will not believe the power gains once tuned in! My motor in the 70's was stock other than a large flat tappet cam. Need to hold the compression with 0-rings.

Rob