• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

rear window crank-coupe

imported_tree

could someone out there send me an e-mail photo of proper rear window crank. the ones that i have leave to much gap between the top of the handle and the rear quarter? bottom end- (if you get what i mean)also the ones i have a small set screw next to the base ,are these the right ones, or co i need the ones with the clip. thanks terry.....................

Mosesatm

No clip ("Jesus clip" as we called them in the body shop). Some have an allen head set screw on the side and some have a phillips screw under the center decal. I don't know which is correct (maybe both are) but they are identical except for the attachment.

BTW they are called Jesus clips because when an inexperienced worker finally gets the door panel pushed in just far enough and gets a screwdriver on the clip and pops it off it goes flinging across the shop. He or she then says, "Jesus........". Don't know if that is a universal term or not.

Perkchiro

I believe that is correct Jason, Front cranks get a center screw with and overlay cap and back ones use a side allen screw.

PFSlim

You guys are correct. The rear window cranks have an allen screw, front cranks have a phillips screw.

I have recently ordered 1967 cranks because the 1968 cranks break at the knob. The 67 cranks appear to be made better and stronger. I am thinking about using the 67 cranks for day to day and reinstalling the 68 cranks for shows.

Paul

hookedtrout

PFSlim said:
You guys are correct. The rear window cranks have an allen screw, front cranks have a phillips screw.

I have recently ordered 1967 cranks because the 1968 cranks break at the knob. The 67 cranks appear to be made better and stronger. I am thinking about using the 67 cranks for day to day and reinstalling the 68 cranks for shows.

Paul

I went with 67 cranks and stored the 68's, I sure like being able to roll the window down without the worry of breaking off the plastic knobby.

Cory

OP
OP
imported_tree

imported_tree

have a look

hookedtrout said:
I went with 67 cranks and stored the 68's, I sure like being able to roll the window down without the worry of breaking off the plastic knobby.

Cory
have a look at these,best pictures i can get at this time. orderd 2-68 with knobs for 68 mustang rear quarters window, with allen key in center. thanks terry.......................

Last edited:

Mosesatm

That is the correct handle but I've never seen one stick out that far. Sometimes getting the handles to seat takes a fairly firm tap. If they are fully on then maybe your rear panel has a bend in it that's so gentle you can't see it. Is there any padding behind the panel? If not it may not hurt to place some back there to push out the panel a little. Something like firewall or headliner insulation might work. I'm out of ideas. Anyone else?

nfrntau

The handles you have may be for the Torinos. I picked some up at the boneyard awhile back that looked like Mustang handles. The difference I found was what you have found. They look the same but they stick out farther. I don't remember what the part numbers were.

PFSlim

Terry

When you say "Allen Key in center", do you mean in the center of the handle? In other words, are the back cranks like the front cranks in how they mount to the car? If so, they are the wrong handles. The allen key should be on the side of the crank. The crank itself looks like a 68 crank. I don't know anything about Torino handles.

I have ordered several sets - since I keep breaking knobs. I order them from Mustang Unlimited or NPD. They look ver nice and new installed however if the window does not roll up and down very smoothly, the knobs will break off since they are held onto the crank by a plastic piece.

Paul

rvrtrash

The knobs I got from Year One had a metal piece that pushed into the rear of the knob, through the handle. Mine haven't broke (yet) and my drivers window hangs up.
Steve

OP
OP
imported_tree

imported_tree

cranks

PFSlim said:
Terry

When you say "Allen Key in center", do you mean in the center of the handle? In other words, are the back cranks like the front cranks in how they mount to the car? If so, they are the wrong handles. The allen key should be on the side of the crank. The crank itself looks like a 68 crank. I don't know anything about Torino handles.

I have ordered several sets - since I keep breaking knobs. I order them from Mustang Unlimited or NPD. They look ver nice and new installed however if the window does not roll up and down very smoothly, the knobs will break off since they are held onto the crank by a plastic piece.

Paul

These are the ones i got with the car. they have the allen screw on the side.the front ones have a center screw phillps i think. Will send picture when i can borrow my friends micro digital camera..